• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Does anyone collect the non-precious metal 2 pound coins in the UK? If so, do you use a coin book? The annual or definitive sets released by the Royal Mint? Graded and slabbed versions?

I've got a few now - the 2015 reintroduction of the Britannia portrait both in circulated condition and from the definitive coin set slabbed, the WWI aviation definitive coin set slabbed, and am very excited for the 200th anniversary of Mary Shelley's Modern Prometheus (Frankenstein!) coin this year. 

I love the Kew Gardens 50 pence and the Sir Isaac Newton of the same denomination, but only have the latter slabbed by NGC.

Photos below are mine and of my coins.

IMG_20180102_143603189_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180102_143614727_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180102_143653441_HDR.jpg

Nice, I have a lot of these circulating low mintages in flips now, with Change Checker card inserts.

I wouldn't have thought anyone would grade them any time soon, but it makes sense for some of them. Kew, especially, if you get a legit one.

Love that Britannia one.

I have many of the rare £1 too, similarly just in carded flips. I might organise them better some day :P 

Hi, I have all the £2 in Bunc going back to the brass ones. First one is dated 1986. They are in a capsule and held in a coin tray. I also have all the £1 coins in the same condition but have not got around to putting them in capsule yet. I have some 50p's and my goal this year is to acquire as many as possible

12 hours ago, Piggybank said:

Hi, I have all the £2 in Bunc going back to the brass ones. First one is dated 1986. They are in a capsule and held in a coin tray. I also have all the £1 coins in the same condition but have not got around to putting them in capsule yet. I have some 50p's and my goal this year is to acquire as many as possible

I have a bunch of circulated odd 50pences - if you interested - will dig through the stash - I dont collect them per se, but just put them all in a coin jar when I find interesting ones in change. 

Face value plus postage if you want any of them :P 

2 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I have a bunch of circulated odd 50pences - if you interested - will dig through the stash - I dont collect them per se, but just put them all in a coin jar when I find interesting ones in change. 

Face value plus postage if you want any of them :P 

If no one else wishes to have them I'll take them off your hands, my niece collects them.

Edited by tallthinkev
spellage

I started out collecting 50ps etc from change before moving onto pre decimal silver and then sovereigns when I found this forum. It is a slippery slope. Still like to look out for the new 50p and £2 coins. 

Pretty much up to date with everything at the moment. Got my Kew on a bank run, very lucky. 

On 1/2/2018 at 14:51, Jay2 said:

Nice, I have a lot of these circulating low mintages in flips now, with Change Checker card inserts.

I wouldn't have thought anyone would grade them any time soon, but it makes sense for some of them. Kew, especially, if you get a legit one.

Love that Britannia one.

I have many of the rare £1 too, similarly just in carded flips. I might organise them better some day :P 

I'm an NGC member myself and while I didn't get these coins graded, I bought them already in their slabs, I would be curious to find out about your results. Also, is it quite common for these to be bought and sold in the UK in uncirculated condition. I'm based in the US and rarely see them come up on my eBay here. I'm thinking it's because many would not be available for shipment outside of the UK by the sellers.

Would love to see some of the photos of past designs as well!

23 hours ago, Piggybank said:

All the way back to '86! That's really cool. Am I correct in that the design did not change every year? Do you collect the years were there were multiple variant designs? For instance, there were 2 designs in 1999 - one for the rugby world cup and one celebrating technology.

7 hours ago, Ansel said:

I started out collecting 50ps etc from change before moving onto pre decimal silver and then sovereigns when I found this forum. It is a slippery slope. Still like to look out for the new 50p and £2 coins. 

Pretty much up to date with everything at the moment. Got my Kew on a bank run, very lucky. 

Agreed - as a US based collector it would be much easier to collect my own country's currency, but I started with the silver 2 pound Britannia series and now am hooked on the Queen's Beasts proof coins, and of course love some of the designs on these "meant for circulation" 2 pound and 50 pence coins. Slippery indeed!

The kew gardens one is very lucky to find! I've seen them on eBay for quite a lot of money - have you gotten it graded?

Edited by NewMSmatist15
spelling

I have been collecting 2 of each set for a while in the 50p the old £1 (both completed) and the £2 Just missing the kew gardens  (×2)from the 50p's and 2 commonwealth from the £2  and of course the new release coins

Oh and also have 2 collection's of the Olympic 50p's as well just missing judo from both.

I have them all in royal mint  folders and they do look good 

I will have to dig them out soon and put pics up in the photo section 

16 hours ago, NewMSmatist15 said:

All the way back to '86! That's really cool. Am I correct in that the design did not change every year? Do you collect the years were there were multiple variant designs? For instance, there were 2 designs in 1999 - one for the rugby world cup and one celebrating technology.

I have only one technology £2 in Bunc condition and is dated 1997 as that was the first year it was issued

17 hours ago, NewMSmatist15 said:

Agreed - as a US based collector it would be much easier to collect my own country's currency, but I started with the silver 2 pound Britannia series and now am hooked on the Queen's Beasts proof coins, and of course love some of the designs on these "meant for circulation" 2 pound and 50 pence coins. Slippery indeed!

The kew gardens one is very lucky to find! I've seen them on eBay for quite a lot of money - have you gotten it graded?

It is not in good enough condition to grade unfortunately. However that doesn't bother me, finding it in a bank bag of 50p was a definite wow moment.

@HelpingHands The new RAF £2 in rather lovely, I think I may splash out for a silver proof of that when they are released individually.

Kew.jpg

On 1/4/2018 at 08:54, Ansel said:

It is not in good enough condition to grade unfortunately. However that doesn't bother me, finding it in a bank bag of 50p was a definite wow moment.

@HelpingHands The new RAF £2 in rather lovely, I think I may splash out for a silver proof of that when they are released individually.

Kew.jpg

I think it is lovely regardless of condition!

On 1/4/2018 at 08:05, HelpingHands said:

And that's the only year of the bi-metal £2s with the third portrait obverse.

Interesting fact. So is it that people collect the 2PND coins in coin books like in the US we would for statehood quarters? Or is it people collect UK annual coin sets and by default collect these variants as they are included?

On 1/4/2018 at 07:37, AgD said:

I have been collecting 2 of each set for a while in the 50p the old £1 (both completed) and the £2 Just missing the kew gardens  (×2)from the 50p's and 2 commonwealth from the £2  and of course the new release coins

Oh and also have 2 collection's of the Olympic 50p's as well just missing judo from both.

I have them all in royal mint  folders and they do look good 

I will have to dig them out soon and put pics up in the photo section 

Please share! Would love to see some photos of what is out there.

13 minutes ago, NewMSmatist15 said:

Interesting fact. So is it that people collect the 2PND coins in coin books like in the US we would for statehood quarters? Or is it people collect UK annual coin sets and by default collect these variants as they are included?

I think most people just collect different designs within that denomination (especially  50p and £2.)

There are yearly sets but I don't think many people collect those.  Generally people hunt coins in circulation at face value before turning to ebay.