• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

stacking goals 2018

Pac100

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For 2018 I definitely want to get into gold. Silver will always be in the plan, but I'm itching to get into gold. I'm also looking into alternative coins. These last few months have been filled with information. I was blind for over 21 years while working my regular job now I'm carefully and slowly threading thru these uncharted waters.

49 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

For 2018 I definitely want to get into gold. Silver will always be in the plan, but I'm itching to get into gold. I'm also looking into alternative coins. These last few months have been filled with information. I was blind for over 21 years while working my regular job now I'm carefully and slowly threading thru these uncharted waters.

Dude I am right there with you, going through the rabbit hole of youtube videos looking at the same item online 2+ times a day. 2018 is gonna be an interesting year.

Queen's Beast; complete 1/2 oz Perth Mint Lunar II; maybe collect Lunar I ; old Sixpence; Mercury Dimes; still debating on a new bullion to collect: Britannia, Kookaburra or Panda

I just started stacking back in May. (Not my first time stacking got out back in 2009) I ended the year at 97oz’s. I would like to end 2018 with 300oz. I think I want to keep going with weight and balance out with semi numi and few numi pieces to feed the collector in me. 

I'm saving already for the London coin fair in February will buy few sovereign.s. I do like the 8g panda gold and the Perth mint dog and kangaroo in 1/4oz gold I'm going for 1/4 gold for 2018 but mainly sovereign.s and looking forward to new qb that come out. no silver or proofs this year good value low Spot gold for me 

1 hour ago, Goldmick said:

I'm saving already for the London coin fair in February will buy few sovereign.s. I do like the 8g panda gold and the Perth mint dog and kangaroo in 1/4oz gold I'm going for 1/4 gold for 2018 but mainly sovereign.s and looking forward to new qb that come out. no silver or proofs this year good value low Spot gold for me 

Where in London is it? Never been always heard of it never read into it seems like a great place to pick up some coins 

On 12/31/2017 at 18:08, 999magnum said:

I'm curious to know, being in the US, are you tempted to start one of those precious metals Individual Retirement accounts?

Or do the annual vault storage fees of the physical coins over the years, eventually outweigh the tax incentives? Can you leave your existing 401k alone, and open up a second additional precious metals one? You can choose to take delivery of all the physical coins you have stacked over the years, anytime after your 60th birthday?

Anyway, it struck me that a lot who avail of the tax saving incentives and put some retirement savings into this scheme, will continue to stick with the old reliables - gold and silver eagles. Not everyone having a wide interest in coins, like you have. This definitely leaves them solely depending on future spot prices. But i would be looking at other possibilities. There are many more eligible coins and rounds the scheme now allows. I would be stacking the fund with those that have future premium growth beyond the (possible) simple spot price growth. Such as the Provident Cleo, Anubis, Sobek 2oz rounds which are eligible. So too are libertads now, including proof versions. Probably many other coins and rounds from across the US private mints which have the additional collector aspect to cash in on, at retirement.

Anyway, curious about your take on this scheme, and if you have considered or rejected it. I know that if i had this scheme in my own country i would be filling the vault. As well as using pre-tax earnings to spend on the coins i would want on retirement, secure storage of the physical metals is also a nice option.

6 minutes ago, swAgger said:

Anyway, it struck me that a lot who avail of the tax saving incentives and put some retirement savings into this scheme, will continue to stick with the old reliables - gold and silver eagles. Not everyone having a wide interest in coins, like you have.

Isn't a key part of such schemes that you can't take physical possession of the goods before retirement? If so, that would really reduce the incentive for me/folks who want to see/hold their pretty numismatic coins

1 hour ago, PansPurse said:

Isn't a key part of such schemes that you can't take physical possession of the goods before retirement? If so, that would really reduce the incentive for me/folks who want to see/hold their pretty numismatic coins

That's the key part, of course. But the incentive lies in paying for your future stash with money you don't pay tax on. You can still privately buy your coins as normal to see and hold/trade them. I only need to see one 5oz libertad, for example, i don't need to see a stack of them at any one time. And the more stacks you build up over the years, many will tell you they don't excavate them all from storage just to admire, it's not practical the more you build up. Very often, our stacks are put away and the only contact we have with them is as data on a spreadsheet. Look at this scheme as keeping the surplus of your investment in a secure facility.

It's a great time to be a silver stacker as we're in the ballpark range of prices that will never be seen again. Not only that, we have the luxury to cherry pick anything we want which wont be the case down the line. the shelves will be empty. 

Sure, it's entirely possible we get another drop to $10 or even $8 dollars at worst, but the risk to reward ratio over the longer term is insane. 

2 hours ago, C12 said:

It's a great time to be a silver stacker as we're in the ballpark range of prices that will never be seen again. Not only that, we have the luxury to cherry pick anything we want which wont be the case down the line. the shelves will be empty. 

Sure, it's entirely possible we get another drop to $10 or even $8 dollars at worst, but the risk to reward ratio over the longer term is insane. 

So you reckon that we're on the cusp of leaving this price range behind for good, but also reckon that spot could conceivably halve? Make up your mind!

Stacking is something that happens continuously in the background for me; the calendar flipping from Dec to Jan doesn't change anything. Goals are the same; rate of acquisition will depend on free cash flow, but should be similar to last 12 months. 

4 hours ago, swAgger said:

I'm curious to know, being in the US, are you tempted to start one of those precious metals Individual Retirement accounts?

Or do the annual vault storage fees of the physical coins over the years, eventually outweigh the tax incentives? Can you leave your existing 401k alone, and open up a second additional precious metals one? You can choose to take delivery of all the physical coins you have stacked over the years, anytime after your 60th birthday?

Anyway, it struck me that a lot who avail of the tax saving incentives and put some retirement savings into this scheme, will continue to stick with the old reliables - gold and silver eagles. Not everyone having a wide interest in coins, like you have. This definitely leaves them solely depending on future spot prices. But i would be looking at other possibilities. There are many more eligible coins and rounds the scheme now allows. I would be stacking the fund with those that have future premium growth beyond the (possible) simple spot price growth. Such as the Provident Cleo, Anubis, Sobek 2oz rounds which are eligible. So too are libertads now, including proof versions. Probably many other coins and rounds from across the US private mints which have the additional collector aspect to cash in on, at retirement.

Anyway, curious about your take on this scheme, and if you have considered or rejected it. I know that if i had this scheme in my own country i would be filling the vault. As well as using pre-tax earnings to spend on the coins i would want on retirement, secure storage of the physical metals is also a nice option.

I really haven't any idea of retirement plans that include PMs. I never looked into it or even considered it. I'm already retired going almost 2 years now. Anything extra is gravy! My thoughts on PMs haven't changed since I started which was wealth retention. I never thought I'd be looking for a 1979 Mexican onza on ebay instead I thought I'd buy generic silver for weight and end of story. Maybe you already guessed it, I didn't get much further than the few generic rounds that I have. I came into this with the plan of stacking many many oz of silver, instead my interests have turned to large sized old silver coins from around the world.

Edit: Hmm, stacking silver for retirement? I thought about it for 3 seconds and I just don't see it. You'd need a large room or at least a large walk-in closet to stack enough silver for retirement. I don't have that kinda room. When I think I want to retain wealth, I'm thinking more in the lines of enough silver when switched to fiat, it'd amount to $100k. If I could achieve this then it'd be so cool, but the way things are going and with so many old coins around, I just have my doubts. Also I discovered that I wasted lots of time and energy looking at spot prices. Waiting for the spot price to go down another 25 cents to make that big 10oz silver bar purchase is just plain nuts. I think I have ways to go as a stacker/collector/flipper or whatever.

1 hour ago, 999magnum said:

I really haven't any idea of retirement plans that include PMs. I never looked into it or even considered it. I'm already retired going almost 2 years now.

Ok, thanks. It was just something i come across once in a while, always been curious how it works in reality for people over there. A quick 20 min google research throws up three more questions for every one i find answered.

I saw earlier- as well as a large range of stuff from US based bullion suppliers, libertads, kookaburras, Pandas, Queens beasts are also eligible now.

I don't think it's a wise option for anyone in their 20's, 30's.... even 40's. But maybe from 50? Earliest point of retirement to take delivery is age 59.5 it seems. So in theory someone could buy a serious amount of all that good steady premium stuff for a decade, all with a tax incentive. Maybe? Well, i dunno. I think i'll forget all about it once again. Not something i can take part in, anyway.

EDIT: apologies to the OP for going off on a tangent. Similar here to what Vand said. Continuous process on keeping some series going, just the quantities of each might vary. Keep an open view (and budget) for new ones. Let it all develop during the year. 2017 was a year i bought very few proofs, though, and i have a firm plan to continue that.

Changing some directions at the present, moving away from stacking and more into collecting. Actually it seems like going to the opposite direction to many other people. But (at least for now) I have decided to continue mostly as a hobby and not as investment vehicle.

For 2018 I am looking to complete my collections (as much as possible) and to add some more gold. I would expect to spend between 5-8,000 € but that can always change on the way.

Instagram: gildeon_67

Pickup just about anything BU for under £X, just to add weight if nothing else. Two, maybe three (if the price is right) set of lunar II's, Queens Beasts two set's 2oz, 10oz and 1/4 gold. Plus 1/2 sov a month, if I can. Either that or more guitars!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m three weeks into the stacking journey and have a few ounces of silver on order and a quarter ounce gold coin. Already hopelessly hooked. By 2019 I’d like 50 ounces of silver and an ounce of gold. I plan to stack generic bullion, but we’ll see how long that lasts!

Archived