• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My Chards Experience

Alex

I fell in love with the design of the 20 francs rooster gold coin and really wanted one in Uncirculated condition.Looking at the Chards website I thought they are professionals.I told them that I`m a collector and I`m looking for the best condition.On their website it says ''Finish - Uncirculated'' and at 15% premium I was expecting to get one in UNC condition.They refused a full refund or replacement and said it`s just ''bullion''.Could have got a 'GEM' from France with a bit more money on Ebay.

Nothing more to say...

DSC_0705.JPG

DSC_0706.JPG

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

this is unc condition for 1904 coin and it is pretty good condition for what it is ......

Nothing more to say.. 

I have a magnifier glass.Compare those photos with mine.

601px-France_SB816-22334f.jpg

602px-France_SB816-22334e.jpg

5 minutes ago, Mark43 said:

Wow I'm guessing you are working through all the dealers. Wonder who might be next.

Royal Mint :D but I`ll wait for a price drop for bullion.My next coin will be a 1958 gold sovereign from ebay.

Can I ask if you are a collector and you knew you could get a coin that was in unc or near unc condition from France why you didn't get it from France? As you say you are a collector so price is not a the main consideration.

It looks to me you are going around all the BULLION dealers just to criticize them.  You would be wise to use coin collector shops instead ESP for older coins.  There are now quite a few collectors on this forum which is ok - good , but they must understand BULLION dealers sell bullion coin dealers sell coins, if you want a European coin you may be better going to the said country. 

Hi @Alex thank you for your comments, we do want you to be happy and are sorry that you have not enjoyed your experience with Chard. I can see that you ordered the French 1899-1906 20 Franc Rooster gold coin as seen here https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-twenty-20-franc-bullion-french/1571 This coin is sold as a bullion coin at a low premium above the intrinsic metal value. The specification does state that the finish is uncirculated, meaning not proof or proof-like. This is not a grade and is a term which we use to describe coins "Uncirculated or Unc; In new condition as issued by the mint, but owing to mass production methods, not necessarily perfect." I can see that Bhumika did say "As you mentioned it is bullion grade so there will be some imperfections, but I will try to get the best one from our stock." Whilst we would not usually offer a refund on bullion products, I can see that we did offer a refund on the coin that you bought as we were unable to exchange the coin for one in a better condition. We are still willing to do this. If you would like a refund, please contact me and I will arrange this. 

10 minutes ago, ChardLizzie said:

Hi @Alex thank you for your comments, we do want you to be happy and are sorry that you have not enjoyed your experience with Chard. I can see that you ordered the French 1899-1906 20 Franc Rooster gold coin as seen here https://www.chards.co.uk/gold-twenty-20-franc-bullion-french/1571 This coin is sold as a bullion coin at a low premium above the intrinsic metal value. The specification does state that the finish is uncirculated, meaning not proof or proof-like. This is not a grade and is a term which we use to describe coins "Uncirculated or Unc; In new condition as issued by the mint, but owing to mass production methods, not necessarily perfect." I can see that Bhumika did say "As you mentioned it is bullion grade so there will be some imperfections, but I will try to get the best one from our stock." Whilst we would not usually offer a refund on bullion products, I can see that we did offer a refund on the coin that you bought as we were unable to exchange the coin for one in a better condition. We are still willing to do this. If you would like a refund, please contact me and I will arrange this. 

happy new year ,  while you are here , may I ask do you think we can have free delivery if we order e.g over 2k worth of items in one transactions  :) during jan 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

Just now, JunkBond said:

Thanks for the info, best stay clear of them then. ;)

It’s ok if u just want the pattern or invest into gold only 

recently I have bought “ f “ grade South Africa pond , f stand for “fine “ but in real terms it’s .....f-ed

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

54 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

It’s ok if u just want the pattern or invest into gold only 

recently I have bought “ f “ grade South Africa pond , f stand for “fine “ but in real terms it’s .....f-ed

my understanding is 'f' stands for fair, 'F' stands for fine?

HH

It's quite clearly not Uncirculated, and the explanation of "we use a different meaning of Uncirculated" is hogwash, frankly.  There are scatches and dings consistent with circulation.

Uncirculated is a grade - it's the equivalent of Mint State, or AUNC / BUNC.

Take the refund and buy from France.

I really think this trial by forum is in bad taste. Fine if its a rogue seller that we need warning about but Chards and Atkinsons are the good guys - I would just sort it out with them on a personal basis and do it with dignity. 

23 posts and most of them are about perceived poor customer service. :rolleyes:

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

3 hours ago, Pipers said:

Can I ask if you are a collector and you knew you could get a coin that was in unc or near unc condition from France why you didn't get it from France? As you say you are a collector so price is not a the main consideration.

It looks to me you are going around all the BULLION dealers just to criticize them.  You would be wise to use coin collector shops instead ESP for older coins.  There are now quite a few collectors on this forum which is ok - good , but they must understand BULLION dealers sell bullion coin dealers sell coins, if you want a European coin you may be better going to the said country. 

Although I agree with those saying this is clearly not UNC and the chards listing is oddly misleading, you are spot on.

For collectable gold just DO NOT buy from bullion dealers. It seems like Alex is after gradeable coins at bullion prices. I know people have got lucky from HGM in the past, but even then they clearly sold as bullion.

1 minute ago, onlyroadtoheaven said:

I really think this trial by forum is in bad taste. Fine if its a rogue seller that we need warning about but Chards and Atkinsons are the good guys - I would just sort it out with them on a personal basis and do it with dignity. 

23 posts and most of them are about perceived poor customer service. :rolleyes:

I think dealers have to be open to criticism when they get it wrong though. And plenty of forummers will pile in and defend the dealer if they are legit.

It does seem like the OP is going around all the bullion dealers searching for a miracle deal though.

I haven't ever ordered from chads, but I got to say I am impressed with costumer service. Afterall, having the company even coming out on here trying to resolve problems is spot on service in my opinion

12 minutes ago, MrGeorge said:

So if you dont like trial by forums as you call it maybe dont read or comment on them.

I pay my premium membership so I will comment on what I want buddy.

I like to do things with dignity and feel that this is rewarded long term - slagging respected companies off on this forum is not dignified. If Alex was a long term respected member then perhaps I would take note but this seems fishy.

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

I have said a similar thing on other "my experience" threads but will share it again here.

As a fledgling "dealer" and seller it is important to me to get things right. If I mess up I sort it out straight away and so far the few times that issues have happened we (the customer and I) have sorted things out privately.

I think that threads like this have a lot of value of you are the customer and have not had things sorted, or if you are looking for advice on how to handle a situation. 

All that said, I think feedback and freedom of speech is a very important. As a buyer I am always looking for feedback on sellers before I buy.

In this particular situation Chards have offered a refund and hopefully will take on board the other feedback about the description of bullion coins.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

3 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

@ChardLizzie in fairness to the OP if a coin states UNC (Uncirculated) then that's what i'd be looking for as a coin collector, collectors do go by grade, but you have stated the "finish" is UNC which i don't really get either, UNC would be a grade of a coin and not the type of finish, for example, a Matt coin would be the finish and not the grade, Matt proof isn't a grade either, just the type of strike, a Matt proof with a UNC grade is what collectors would be looking at

So in essence, where it states "finish UNC" on your website looks a little misleading for a coin collector but not a bullion buyer, maybe just stating it's bullion would just be easier

Agree completely, a very misleading term which could easily confuse (which indeed it seems to have done in this case). As someone who collects numismatic coins I have personally never seen any coin described as having an 'un-circulated finish' (apart from in the case when a coin could actually be graded as such).  I hope it wasn't a deliberate act to mislead, a poor choice of words perhaps?

Just like to say that despite this I think that it is fantastic that they are offering a full refund on a bullion coin, something that they don't have to do.:)

Archived