• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Perth Lunar Kilos - Opinions?

coinnewbie

I am not a coin collector. At all. I find coins fascinating, but collecting to be overwhelming when it comes to acquiring knowledge, so I've never given it a second thought.

Yesterday a friend took possession of a brand new 2018 Year of the Dog silver kilo coin.

It looked so cool, that I thought about buying one for my son, and then getting him another one every year. He may not appreciate them now, but over time as he gets older it will be a nice collection.

I was wondering a few things about these oversized Perth Lunar Coins:

-What is the general opinion of them within the coin collecting/silver stacking community? Are they admired? Ridiculed? Is the kilo size considered kinda gimmicky?

-As we only have one more year until Perth Mint would start a new 12-year cycle, and hence Series III -- do many of you expect the Series II kilos to finally see some appreciation in value once Perth finally once and for all stops minting past years?

-Are these kilos offered in "proof" versions also?

-For someone who will never be a true "stacker" but wants to start some sort of collection -- how do you feel about collecting these kilos? Would you say "if you like the looks, go for it" -- or something more like "waste of time because there so many cons associated with this series and/or the 1kg size' Or something in between?

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to reply. I doubt seeing a Perth Kilo in person is going to turn me into a stacker, but I do have to say it's one of the only times that seeing a cased coin has aroused my interest and fascination.

The Kilo coins are great fun (they will spin for ages on a table - not recommended though:)) and good quality, however it's worth watching the video below relating to previous year's coins still being minted - not sure if you are alluding to this in your post. Clearly they don't attract much of a premium but then again it makes them cheaper to buy. Perhaps consider purchasing a roll of 20 lunars as they are nice and substantial in the hand and easy to store. They will also be easier to sell later on as you can split the roll when silver reaches $100 per oz! Either way, everyone needs at least 1 kilo coin in their collection.

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

I've got a few and kind of regret that now.  I even splashed out and bought some nice wooden boxes for them so they do look good.
However if you are starting a collection for your son I would recommend either 5 ounce coins or 10 ounce coins.
The kilo coins are door-stoppers whereas the 10 oz are paper-weights and the 5 oz are easy to handle and store.
Some capsules provided with the kilo coins don't seem big enough ( thickness ).

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

If I was starting new and going to collect one thing only, a kilo silver coin would be last on my list by a huge margin.

I think I understand the reason why, but could you elaborate? 

My reason is get one is

1) I just find it to a be a really fun piece

2) The premium over spot is not very high

3) If I have to start with a low-premium silver bought just for weight, I find this much more interesting than American Eagles.

10 minutes ago, coinnewbie said:

I think I understand the reason why, but could you elaborate? 

My reason is get one is

1) I just find it to a be a really fun piece

2) The premium over spot is not very high

3) If I have to start with a low-premium silver bought just for weight, I find this much more interesting than American Eagles.

I'd be happy to elaborate, but none of these three justify starting a collection, do they? They're just 'snapshots' (however valid) as of this particular moment in time.

Can you justify any of them for the future?

Archived