• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

To slab or not to slab

GeordieStacker

I just slabbed 4 gold coins courtesy of Numistacker, I didn't know what to expect, however, I was quite impressed, the slab isn't as big as it looks on the screen and has a nice label and short description of the coin, also the added protection is a plus. I wouldn't slab all my coins, only the expensive ones. At the end of the day its down to personal preference. Try a couple and see what you think, if you don't like it you can always remove them from the slab. 

I agree that one "needs a reason" to slab -- if for no other reason, it's the cost of shipping (both ways) plus slabbing fees.  There are a few good reasons:  1) lock in a high grade that the owner believes is in a particular raw coin;  2) Confirm the raw coin is genuine;  3) Hope that some will come back with a 70 or 69 grade, which attracts registry set owners.  In option #3, I always like to say, "...hope is not a good investment strategy."  And I ALWAYS recommend that one sticks with the two major graders:  PCGS and NGC.

Being a Yank, I'm not too familiar with the 1oz Britannia's.  Unless they are a rare date or some sort of mint error, they are likely bullion coins and there's no value added by getting them graded.  Thanks from Scotty at CoinFinders.   www.coinfinders.com

14 hours ago, CoinFinders said:

Unless they are a rare date or some sort of mint error, they are likely bullion coins and there's no value added by getting them graded.  Thanks from Scotty at CoinFinders.   www.coinfinders.com

You mean for the Britanias that he's talking about or in general? Because that statement goes against everything I see with raw and slabbed coins, bullion, dolphin, piece of a rock, etc. By "value" I assume you're talking about $$$. 

I think slabs are pretty.

Perhaps I need the Christmas fairy ?‍♀️ to sprinkle me with pixie ?‍♀️ dust?

Actually I do get pleasure out of lining them all up in a row. I probably get more viewing pleasure from the slab and the process adds another dimension to collecting.

1 hour ago, Numistacker said:

Actually I do get pleasure out of lining them all up in a row. I probably get more viewing pleasure from the slab and the process adds another dimension to collecting.

You sound so much like me as that's the sort of thing I do and with my panda coins lol...... amazing how many times a day I have to haul them all out and look at them ???

1 minute ago, SilverRomantiX said:

You sound so much like me as that's the sort of thing I do and with my panda coins lol...... amazing how many times a day I have to haul them all out and look at them ???

Depends on how many ladies do you own and what are their grades yea?

One or one hundred means difference 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

If a high grade would add value to a coin, yes, if not no

People seem to get roped in to grading all their coins just so their collection is uniform, whether it will add value or not.. waste of money, but OCD can be a bastard lol

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/12/2017 at 21:26, Numistacker said:

I've recently put the bullion privy Brits into normal slabs and they look so much better then normal capsules 

Hence why IM thinking on getting them done properly 

IM just waiting on the 2018 dog privy to arrive before I make the final step

IMG_20180102_113151.jpg

3 hours ago, GeordieStacker said:

I've recently put the bullion privy Brits into normal slabs and they look so much better then normal capsules 

Hence why IM thinking on getting them done properly 

IM just waiting on the 2018 dog privy to arrive before I make the final step

IMG_20180102_113151.jpg

Are these slabs bought from fleabay?

Archived