• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

DHL / UK Mail Issue

Shinus73

An order from a reputable bullion dealer was despatched to me from Germany 10 days ago using DHL and the company provided a tracking number.

I tracked the item on the DHL website until last Wednesday when it said ‘item could not be delivered, a new attempt will be made the next working day’.

I knew this was not accurate, as somebody was at home all day and no card was left.

The same message then appeared for Thursday, again somebody home all day and no card left, since then nothing.

This morning I contacted DHL (eventually got through to human) to be told that they cannot track within the UK, as the item was handed over to UK Mail on arrival in the UK. This is especially inept, as UK Mail is apparently a DHL company.

I contact UK Mail via website (no human available here) and am told that the tracking number is not recognised and they have no record of my package

As instructed by UK Mail, I am currently attempting to obtain the consignment number from the vendor, but my instinct tells me something has gone awry.

Never had an issue with an overseas purchase before, but this has opened my eyes to truly terrible levels of customer service from the courier companies involved.

i had the same issues with dhl waiting for a parcel from germany a few months ago it got lost in the depot here numerous calls later it  arrived 15 days after leaving germany never got an explanation as to why and crap customer response

I've sent many parcels abroad to Denmark. More often than you'd think these parcels disappear for days on end. Eventually they do show up. If it's a tracked service they've always arrived with full contents (sometimes they have been opened by the mail companies and re-sealed with labels to indicate).

I once sent via untracked and the parcel arrived but missing it's contents.

Assuming you paid for/were given tracked shipping then your parcel is most likely just delayed and will arrive. I find UK customs can take an age to clear if it's been on a plane.

Had also a problem of the same kind: parcel tracked up to the UK with DHL and UK Mail lost it on the way. It is insured but the investigation will take up to 2 months before I get the replacement coin...

In the past DHL UK or ParcelForce used to deliver DHL Germany parcels. The problem is really that UK Mail gives a new consignment number and nobody knows where it is, not even DHL Germany. Only once UK Mail attempts to deliver it resurfaces on the radar. 

Well i can give you an even better reply from mail services. Had problems getting an assignment her in Luxembourg , so called the post office as they handle that. You'll never guess what reply i got. The answer was you use our services at your own risks.

I have also had problems with deliveries by DHL - though they have always eventually turned up.  I am currently waiting for one from Monaco and the text I have just had says it will be delivered today - fingers crossed.

At least they don't stop everything and charge you for the privilege like Fedex do!

8 hours ago, Goldhooked said:

Its the worst possible time of the year to be sending anything by post or courier.  Problems are multiplied due to the massive increases in volumes.  Even the best carriers have more problems and the worst just become abysmal!

Indeed - ordinarily I wouldn’t place an international order at this time of year. Unfortunately, this was paid for in October and date of despatch was out of my control.

2 hours ago, Sadbuttrue2 said:

Have a problem at the moment with a silver order DHL posted from Germany 27.11.17 & hasn't arrived yet in U.K! It's a bit crap - there tracking website is a waste of time

Contact the seller, suppose the same happened as to me. The sender needs to enquire with DHL so that after concluding the investigation you can get some replacement sent. 

12 hours ago, Shinus73 said:

I tracked the item on the DHL website until last Wednesday when it said ‘item could not be delivered, a new attempt will be made the next working day’.

I knew this was not accurate, as somebody was at home all day and no card was left.

The same message then appeared for Thursday, again somebody home all day and no card left, since then nothing.

This morning I contacted DHL (eventually got through to human) to be told that they cannot track within the UK, as the item was handed over to UK Mail on arrival in the UK. This is especially inept, as UK Mail is apparently a DHL company.

As instructed by UK Mail, I am currently attempting to obtain the consignment number from the vendor, but my instinct tells me something has gone awry.

Rolling it up from the back: you should normally go with the UK Mail number, since it is completely different from the DHL number. That's why DHL Germany cannot track in the UK at all(!)

The message that a card is left when in fact this isn't the case usually just is a courrier too busy to pass by, so they leave it on the track for the next occasion. 

Personally I think DHL shouldn't ever have outsourced delivery to a company that has no facility to track the parcel all way through in the destination country. But since it has a UK Mail consignment number, it should be somewhere between depot and van. I hope it wasn't returned as "undeliverable"

4 hours ago, SilverTanner said:

I have also had problems with deliveries by DHL - though they have always eventually turned up.  I am currently waiting for one from Monaco and the text I have just had says it will be delivered today - fingers crossed.

At least they don't stop everything and charge you for the privilege like Fedex do!

I had the same thing with FedEx the other month my package got delivered in good time 3 or 4 days from the state's then 2 weeks later a £25 Bill ?? but hey that's the game we play

1 hour ago, augur said:

Rolling it up from the back: you should normally go with the UK Mail number, since it is completely different from the DHL number. That's why DHL Germany cannot track in the UK at all(!)

The message that a card is left when in fact this isn't the case usually just is a courrier too busy to pass by, so they leave it on the track for the next occasion. 

Personally I think DHL shouldn't ever have outsourced delivery to a company that has no facility to track the parcel all way through in the destination country. But since it has a UK Mail consignment number, it should be somewhere between depot and van. I hope it wasn't returned as "undeliverable"

Update - the sender contacted DHL Germany who provided a UK Mail tracking number, but the UK Mail tracking number didn't work on the UK Mail website.

I left a daming review of UK Mail on Trustpilot and consequently got in to an on-line discussion with a UK Mail customer service person who agreed to call me.

The outcome demonstrated the unreliable nature of the Company. Essentially my parcel was out for delivery on the 13th and 14th but the driver ran out of time (I live in the sticks, probably an hour away from the depot in Leeds) and it was returned to the depot. Since then no further atttempts at delivery have been made.

I was asked to describe the package, so that the people in the depot would have a better chance of finding it. They can offer no guarantee that my parcel will be delivered within 14 days, at which point it will be returned to the sender as undeliverable (due to UK Mail not having the capacity to do the job they've been paid for).

Why DHL is inolved with a Company such as this is a mystery.

7 hours ago, SilverTanner said:

Just arrived:)

I had to do an insurance claim against the royal mail a month ago.
They failed to deliver my Atkinsons order and it was "signed for" by someone else using my surname but not my signature.
The claim took a grim 2 months!

8 minutes ago, JSILVER said:

I had to do an insurance claim against the royal mail a month ago.
They failed to deliver my Atkinsons order and it was "signed for" by someone else using my surname but not my signature.
The claim took a grim 2 months!

Did you get paid out ? For full amount ?

17 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

Yes you do, as gold and silver coins are technically not covered by any mail provider

Royal mail does accept them special delivery.  They accept cash, monetary instruments and bullion with an insured value stated.  But here's the funny thing.... they say clearly that you must not describe them as such!!  One wonders if they mean on the outside of the package or when asked what's inside by the local post office staff???  When I was asked I just answered "valuables".  Incredibly she came straight back with "that isn't good enough and if you won't tell me what's inside I will have to refuse the package".  Crazy.

Hope Shinus73 gets his package.  Very frustrating to have this rubbish mail service in the UK when you've paid for a tracked service with an international organisation and they just hand over to the latest local mob that are running things here.  These courier companies seem to come and go.  I can't understand why the international firms don't set up themselves or at least have a better tie in with the local firms.

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

53 minutes ago, Bullionbilly said:

Did you get paid out ? For full amount ?

In the end yes, took so long and a lot of emails to Atkinsons.
Got the amount back as credit which I used straight away.

Made me worry about future larger purchases to be honest.

Someone obviously fraudulently used my surname to sign, which isn't hard as it'd be on the parcel.

I just had to share this response from UK Mail on Trustpilot today - this is a measure of the Company.

I should add this is a response to somebody else, not myself.

Good afternoon,

If something you’ve ordered hasn't arrived, you should contact the seller to find out where it is.
It’s the seller’s legal responsibility to make sure the item is delivered to you. We are only able to advise you so far as your delivery agreement is held with the sender directly as our agreement is also held with them.

Thanks, Jon’

28 minutes ago, JSILVER said:

In the end yes, took so long and a lot of emails to Atkinsons.
Got the amount back as credit which I used straight away.

Made me worry about future larger purchases to be honest.

Someone obviously fraudulently used my surname to sign, which isn't hard as it'd be on the parcel.

Yeah it would be easy. You see no end of signature proofs on the royalmail site thst are unreadable. Should be sign and print at the least, but as you say its on the packet anyway !

11 minutes ago, Bullionbilly said:

Yeah it would be easy. You see no end of signature proofs on the royalmail site thst are unreadable. Should be sign and print at the least, but as you say its on the packet anyway !

That's the thing, I know I wouldn't lie but I felt like I had to prove it couldn't of been me.
I was at work at the time, hence why I wasn't in to receive the item.

I suppose you never question it until it happens, it is the first time in 2 years, so I hope it doesn't happen to often.

Archived