• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Grading

Benmm669

6 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

@Benmm669 I've changed the title of your thread so other users know what it's about.

There will be some other threads on grading.  Have a go with the search box (top right) and see if there is anything in the results you find useful.

you are always polite :P that's why u are moderator 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

18 hours ago, Benmm669 said:

Hi there just been watching some videos on YouTube and wondering wht are the benifits of grading thank you 

It is important to note that 'slabbing' coins is still not as popular in the UK as in the US so lots of the videos you have been watching may well be aimed at US collectors. It it is almost standard practice by many in the States to get your coins graded.

As for the UK, it really does depend on the coin to be honest, in this country it is mostly done to the higher value gold coins to please international collectors.  I wouldn't bother with low grade coins unless they are particularly special or interesting. However as someone who collects numismatic coins as well as 'stacks', I would warn that I know MANY dealers and collectors who hate slabs and refuse to pay any extra whatever the coin may be. I spoke to a dealer friend of mine at the last London fair who had recently brought a small collection of high grade William IV sovereigns from the US, the first thing he did was to 'release them' to make them more appealing to the UK market.

@Numistacker would be the person to ask. He does more grading than anyone here, probably.

I suppose authenticating and getting a second party opinion on the condition and also for resale. Higher grades do better.

I wonder if any coins were passed through NGC or PCGS and turned out later to be forgeries. I bet the answer is yes. I will research.

Archived