• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is this?

Jluke2008

I’ve got over 100 of these things. I was told that the raised parts were pure silver. I had a guy melt one down and sure enough it was. I’ve been looking all over the internet trying to find out what they are but honestly don’t know what to really search for. Any help would be appreciated. They are for sale if anybody wants to buy them as well. 

19B7C392-97C1-4981-8868-963CF1B21B0E.jpeg

60A6CED4-7FAF-464F-B4C2-784E27CAB65C.jpeg

I'm going to go with the large electrical motor housing suggestion .  Does this smell bit like electricity?  Or perhaps you can get it damp as that may bring out the "odor" from this thing.  If it smells metallic or electric or a tad bit burnt, then I'm betting it's from a very old motor housing.

Here's a thought. Why did the previous owner of the house leave these behind?  If they are filled with silver and precious surely they would have known that and taken them with them??? Or was it the case of a distressed sale and they just left???  Anyway, they are clearly machined parts and would originally be worth far more than the sum of their material value.  If you can identify their use perhaps there is someone that may still need these as spare parts. They do look like massive motor parts.  Interesting please update us

New profile pic to support the current thing, because it's current year.

I'm with silversky to try to ID its designated usage, and it may be worth more than it's silver value.  Sooooo, I guess I'm confused.  Before you said that when it was melted down, it was all silver (or did I read this wrong?).    Now you're saying it's steel.  If this is silver welded to steel, that would make sense if this were a major industrial component.  So....the "shiny stuff" is silver, and the rest of the mechanism is steel?

In most "big" silver machinery or moving parts, the silver is usually welded with bronze or copper.  The bronze/copper is usually a "super-structure" to hold it all together.  I've not seen these made with steel or stainless steel.   --Scotty

They were my grandfathers. I talked to my dad about them a few hours ago and he said in the 80’s my grandpa would bring them home from the railroad but he couldn’t remember what they were used for. He said that back then they would melt them down and send the silver up to New York. Apparently they bought a brand new car with the cash they sold it for. The silver is just the part that is shined not the entire piece. I’d have to find the paperwork to remember exactly what the rest of it was. I just remember that the shiny part ended up being pure silver. 

Archived