• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie's first half sov

PansPurse

Hi All,

First up hello, I've been lurking for a few days and eagerly absorbing information. I've just taken the plunge and ordered a 1911 half sov. I was swinging towards a 1/10 Britannia but the immense enthusiasm folks here have for sovereigns persuaded me to stretch my budget a little.

In general I'm interested in stacking but getting occasional pretty things to look at.

Pan

11 hours ago, PansPurse said:

And it's arrived squeeeeee!IMG_20171215_105542410.thumb.jpg.c5070c909231567d8eec6ac5d4344114.jpgIMG_20171215_105607222.thumb.jpg.bd626a826a30ab272304925c52bc5079.jpg

I picked up the 1911 half not so long ago in a trade with another forums member and could not be happier with it and now I'm going to be getting a few more next year enjoy the collecting my friend 

10 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

Anybody can tell me what this is? I know it's a Sovereign, but can someone explain to me if it's a half, full, quarter. What does the gold content mean and weight mean?

https://www.gainesvillecoins.com/products/158582/gold-british-sovereign-king-queen-common-date-extra-fine

Full Victoria veiled head sovereign 1893 G&D reverse, 0.2354 T.oz fine gold, weight of coin will be a tad under 8g

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

24 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Full Victoria veiled head sovereign 1893 G&D reverse, 0.2354 T.oz fine gold, weight of coin will be a tad under 8g

ok great. So It's a full coin. So gold content is about <30% gold?

edit: ok nvm I found the answer after getting off my butt and grabbing a calculator. So it's almost all gold except for something like a bit over a gram of whatever metal. Very interesting. 

10 hours ago, 999magnum said:

edit: ok nvm I found the answer after getting off my butt and grabbing a calculator. So it's almost all gold except for something like a bit over a gram of whatever metal. Very interesting. 

Yup, about 22 karat, the other materials make the coin much tougher and hard-wearing than pure gold (which is pretty soft)

13 hours ago, 999magnum said:

ok great. So It's a full coin. So gold content is about <30% gold?edit:

ok nvm I found the answer after getting off my butt and grabbing a calculator. So it's almost all gold except for something like a bit over a gram of whatever metal. Very interesting. 

Get a new calculator;)

Sovs are 22ct gold ie 22/24 x 8g gold = 7.333g gold

so 0.667g other metal, last 100 + years this has been copper

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Get a new calculator;)

Sovs are 22ct gold ie 22/24 x 8g gold = 7.333g gold

so 0.667g other metal, last 100 + years this has been copper

Yes that's interesting. It's more gold than I first thought, and of course I don't know why I "thought" that seeing that I don't know squadily diddy doo about sovs.

Archived