• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Opening capsules

Broadlegs

6 minutes ago, Broadlegs said:

Hi all

im sure a total newb/amateur question. I received my first queeens Beast 10oz and kookaboora 10oz. BUT I can’t open either capsule.  Feel stupid but can anyone give me some tips please as I’d love to touch them!! 

the reason that u cant open it cos it is too cold, put them near a heater and try again 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

• 1 month later...

Hi all

im sure a total newb/amateur question. I received my first queeens Beast 10oz and kookaboora 10oz. BUT I can’t open either capsule.  Feel stupid but can anyone give me some tips please as I’d love to touch them!! 

Hi Broadlegs, this is a very reasonable question. I doubt very much that they're screw capsules as others have suggested. Standard coin capsules – Airtites and such – can be almost impossible to open.

It's two pieces of hard plastic that sort of wedges together very tightly. Terrible design, but probably a cost thing.

So on the edge of the capsules, what we'd consider the height of the cylinder, think of the bottom and top of the cylinder. Either the bottom or the top of the cylinder, at the edge, is where the seam is – the place where it can be opened / unwedged. Whether it's the bottom or the top will of course depend on how you're holding it. Run your finders around both of the bottom/top edges to try to find a seam. They might feel identical at first, but eventually you'll detect a tiny bit of lip or seam on one of the edges.

Now your task to is pry or wedge open that seam. You might try using one of your longer and stronger fingernails. It could take a while, a minute or two, to get that seem to start opening up. Typically, you'll have to pry it open around the circumference of the capsule for a good bit before the capsule will open.

(Sometimes a woman will have an easier time of it with their better fingernails.)

If that doesn't work, you'll need to brace or vice the capsule and use a thin metal or hard plastic wedge or blade to get into that seam. You'll want to be very safe of course. Using a pocket knife with no brace or vise other than your hands seems like a good way to get stitches.

The warming method might work too. I haven't tried it.

Coin capsules are terribly designed. Market opportunity? Another thing that really sucks is that it's hard to know what size coin capsules I need for something like Somali Elephants, Libertads, Mason Mint, those Hunters and Mermaids rounds from Gainesville coins, etc.

Archived