• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver ETFs

onlyroadtoheaven

Does anyone on here trade with silver ETFs. I want to trade a bit as I see silver bounce around the $17 mark but I don't have the balls to spread bet. I am finding that Silver miners on AIM are generally nuts so wishing to steer clear.

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

I used to hold silver ETF's but I only did back and forth swaps with gold ETF's according to the gold to silver ratio and completely ignored the price, if it's high I went with silver and when it closed I swapped to gold then it was just a case of waiting to repeat when the gold silver ratio reversed and and the circumstances allowed.  It did grow my ounces but it was a lengthy process so I've found the crypto markets sped up the process rapidly so I swapped it all out into that.

Does anyone on here trade with silver ETFs. I want to trade a bit as I see silver bounce around the $17 mark but I don't have the balls to spread bet. I am finding that Silver miners on AIM are generally nuts so wishing to steer clear.

Are you looking at day trading or buy and holding for a longer period?

Are you interested in only silver ETFs or would you consider Gold ETFs?

Are you set on ETFs or would you consider an ETP?

Also no matter what opinions you get from others, and myself, are opinions and not advice. These forms of investment have their risks and you do need to do your due diligence and research before you decide what is best suited for yourself.

From my experience, day trading the 3x leveraged gold ETFs had the best results, though after trump won the elections I have decided to stay out as the market. In my opinion the market has not been behaving in a normal way, and the volatility is more a symptom of market makers moving the price in a direction opposite investors desire.

You also need to consider that most, if not all, ETFs have clauses that move the risk away from the issuer to the investors. If there was a sudden market shift in the PM many of them will payout on yesterday’s price and in some cases won’t payout if the ETF is placed in financial trouble.

I do agree with you on staying away from the miners at this stage as many are in the red and not worth the risk.

I would stay away from spread betting. Best advice/opinion I could give is download a stock simulator and play as if you are invested fully and see if you have the ability to make money.

Thanks @Gav. I think you are completely correct when you say the market isn't acting in a normal way. The more research I seem to do in particular areas the worse results I seem to get. My recent purchase of Glaxo (just before the sell off) confirmed my poor timing. Silver does seem cheap at the moment but I suppose that doesn't mean it wont get a whole lot cheaper.

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

Thanks [mention=3717]Gav[/mention]. I think you are completely correct when you say the market isn't acting in a normal way. The more research I seem to do in particular areas the worse results I seem to get. My recent purchase of Glaxo (just before the sell off) confirmed my poor timing. Silver does seem cheap at the moment but I suppose that doesn't mean it wont get a whole lot cheaper.

I would like silver to get a bit cheaper but it looks like it has been hammered into the ground, rock bottom prices.

Though be careful with spread trading, silver can go lower and probably has a higher chance of going lower before it goes up.

For the last 4 years the price of silver has dipped in December at the end of the year.

I get my fund exposure via spreadbetting on PM ETFs.

So long as you understand the leverage and your level of exposure you are fine. If necessary I could deposit my entire exposure balance into my spreadbet account. The mistake nearly everyone (including myself in the past) makes is to overleverage because it is easy to do so.

Archived