• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What silver would you buy with £1000???

SilverRomantiX

Edit - sorry mistook the topic as gold as well, also got my maths way wrong on the silver :wacko:

As of this moment, I'd probably either buy basic bullion in tubes as close to spot as possible, or see if EMK could cut me a discount on e.g. the 2018 Kook dog privy.

If I was just starting out I'd go for the bullion, no question, to build a foundation.

A nice sized order to place with GS.be or STG or maybe Aurinum keeping the shipping per ounce reasonable.
If you are starting out then you have the opportunity to buy a wonderful selection of coins and different dates.
You might want to shop at the bargain prices to get the maximum weight for your cash.
If you want to start a date run collection e.g. American Eagles then Heubach is worth checking.

If however you have the basic Maples, Brits, Eagles etc then look for the Lunars but watch out for overpriced semi-numis; unless that's what you want to collect rather than stack.

5 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

Agree with Pete, I am going for Eagles, just love the look and not a big premium.

I found Andreas Heubach a great source for an ASE date run.
I haven't checked for a while but they had pretty much the full set, bar a couple, and the interesting thing was their prices were very good regardless of the year.
That might have changed since I looked but I filled a lot of gaps this way.

I also like Eagles because their matt finish doesn't show up the cosmetic problems of highly polished coins.
They are a coin that literally you can throw around, whereas some others mark if you breath on them and if you get a hairline scratch on a polished background you will forever notice it.

2 hours ago, Mark43 said:

So much to choose from. :o

Still early days in this game for me so £1000 of bullion from GSBE.

Yes a shed load of 1oz BU coins would be on my list as well as 10 x 1 gram 2018 pandas to have graded and sell after a year ????

Bars seem to have too high a premium to be worthwhile (though i'd like to have a nice 10oz cast bar).  

Depends if you think you're a stacker of a collector.  Or both (as we all are aren't we?) reckon 50/50 between stack of cheapest like Britannias, then other half thing like the look of to collect with some premium. 

21 minutes ago, SilverRomantiX said:

Yes a shed load of 1oz BU coins would be on my list as well as 10 x 1 gram 2018 pandas to have graded and sell after a year ????

Can you even get near to making your money back on recent (graded) silver Pandas with a mintage of a million? The grading costs probably as much as the coin!

I would never think of grading e.g. a Kook privy (2017 mintage 8000). I don't see the (a?) market for either, imho you're just throwing good money after what is already a premium coin (albeit often very nice).

I prefer a mix of bullions and semi - numis. But I wouldnt shy away from any junk silver or British 50% as they can be bought cheap and hold their scrap value fairly well. 

Realistically balance the stack. I would also go on a hunting spree and buy as much cheap I can from eBay and the forum members. 
For every £1000 I would always include a bit of gold though even if its just a bullion half sov.  

If I am considering an exit strategy I usually also see what prices these coins go for on eBay etc and try to buy at least a bit cheaper so I know I can sell them on, especially if eBay have their £1 selling success fee offers. I recently unloaded a few full sovs on eBay when they had those offers and managed to make £10-£15 more than I could get them from HGM. Promptly bought replacement ones from HGH and ploughed the small difference into some Kooks Arshi was selling which I am sure will get me my money back or more. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

I'm going to be very boring here but I would just get as many Britannias as I could for my £1000,  I think stacking the bullion coin of your country of origin is a good move, especially with them being capital gains tax free.

1 hour ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I prefer a mix of bullions and semi - numis. But I wouldnt shy away from any junk silver or British 50% as they can be bought cheap and hold their scrap value fairly well. 

Realistically balance the stack. I would also go on a hunting spree and buy as much cheap I can from eBay and the forum members. 
For every £1000 I would always include a bit of gold though even if its just a bullion half sov.  

If I am considering an exit strategy I usually also see what prices these coins go for on eBay etc and try to buy at least a bit cheaper so I know I can sell them on, especially if eBay have their £1 selling success fee offers. I recently unloaded a few full sovs on eBay when they had those offers and managed to make £10-£15 more than I could get them from HGM. Promptly bought replacement ones from HGH and ploughed the small difference into some Kooks Arshi was selling which I am sure will get me my money back or more. 

Dito mate.... they are awesome

Just noticed ( caught off-guard no less ) that you can now get a 1oz gold Unicorn from Atkinsons for your £1,000 delivered !!

Gold & silver appear to have been hit during the past day or so ( must have ordered both - yes - par for the course ! )

:(

I'd make the most of the privvy year, in selecting. Brits & poss half sov or two. Not a huge premium yet might be a value add even in a month or so. Then owls, I like the design plus extremely economical, then sit in a bunker with tin foil hat on and see how brexit mullers the price of everything. That really might let the genie out the bottle on metals.

Archived