• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any Canadian silver coins that don't milk spot?

jmichael99

7 hours ago, muenzdachs said:

On Canadian Bullioncoins you will have a very high chance to get milk spots.

On Collector coins nearly never get those

I agree, I have quite a few of the collector coins, some going back to the 80s, and have never had milk spotting.

The bullion maple leafs definitely have milk spot issues.  Lately the Canadian mint has been using "radial lines" , supposedly for "security".  As Apmex describes:

Radial line background was precisely machined by the Royal Canadian Mint to create a unique light diffracting pattern, providing another measure of security

I think another unstated reason is to help hide milk spots. 

As smart as these mints are, why can't they identify the source of the milk spotting and FIX it?  Instead, they ruin their reputation imo.

I have a few hundred Maples, wildlife series etc all silver bullion and minimal spotting. I believe there are batches that are produced that have a serious problem though and should never leave the mint, but if you are fortunate to get "clean" coins then they don't  develop milk stains. That is my experience. I also have some Canadian proofs that are in capsules that seem to be glued shut. Most are showing tiny but clearly noticeable spots that are totally different to milk spots.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I've read the milk spotting is a result of the detergents they use in the washing of the blanks prior to stamping.  On the bullion coins, some mints like RCM and RM just don't go to a lot of effort to thoroughly wash off the blanks like they do with the collector coins.  Makes sense from an economic standpoint in the manufacturing of bullion coins in the millions.

• 4 weeks later...

"Any Canadian silver coins that don't milk spot?"    Hahahaha, nope. I avoid them like the plague because the RCM could care less about the issue and has stated "its bullion, who cares"

You can wrap your milk spotted coins in Pacific silvercloth. Took the milkspots out of the one RCM coin I have.

Archived