• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1911 sovereign help

tbone

I have a 1911 sovereign that I bought some time ago as a regular bullion sovereign, but is it possible this is actually a 1911 proof (albeit circulated)?  Probably wishful thinking on my part, but would like any opinions from the sovereign experts here.

Hope this pics are good enough.  The coins isn't in the best of shape as you can see.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1309.thumb.jpg.5b5d4131e1434b57d8c35f94bdbee313.jpgIMG_1310.thumb.jpg.4b26db79b14008bdd05dd3227f917bd9.jpg

Even a really bashed about coin I would expect to see the remains of the polished blank between the letters, around the edge of the head and on the reverse, around the date and around the horse.
Generally the high edges protect the "Fields" close by......

Sent from my K6000 Pro using TSF App mobile app

3 hours ago, tbone said:

Thanks for the pics @SovTracker !  I see I've confused @sovereignsteve , which is funny because I was hesitant to post the question because its seem absurd that a proof could be in such bad shape.  My pics are not the best, in hand it looks much more "proof like" (could be cleaned I know, but figured I'd ask the experts here ;-)

no it's not absurd that a proof could be beat up, it can happen when the owner doesn't realise or care what they have. but in those cases, the field is still looks different to a bullion coin.

it was really surprising that anyone would see anything proof-like in that coin. ok I accept they are photos and you say the field looks shiny, but even so...

One thing you often see in proofs is a kind of "demarcation" line between the relief and the field, as though someone has traced around the edge of the detail. You can clearly see this in Sovtracker's coin but is clearly absent in yours.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

One thing you often see in proofs is a kind of "demarcation" line between the relief and the field, as though someone has traced around the edge of the detail. You can clearly see this in Sovtracker's coin but is clearly absent in yours.

Thanks sovereignsteve, you're right.  The more I look at the coin, the more I think it was probably cleaned or polished some time ago, and my wishful thinking made me think it could maybe be an old beat up proof.  Oh well, I bought it at melt, so not a problem :D

1 hour ago, Pipers said:

Tbone you need to go to coin shows and look at coins for yourself.  I have now been to quite a few not to buy anything but to learn. 

You're right Pipers.  Unfortunately, time seems more precious than gold for me lately ;)

Archived