• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/4oz or 1oz coins?

ally5727

HI everyone dont know if this has already been asked but I was wondering peoples thoughts. Which do you think is the better option, buying 1/4oz coins such as Queens Beast or Britannia or buying the 1oz coins but obviously less frequently, also if you could explain why you think your option is the better. Thanks for the options that will follow :)

For the average Joe I think 1/4 or sovereign because maybe something pops up in future and you need to release £200, cool, just sell a sovereign, but if all you have are 1 oz gold coins then you need to sell a whole oz just to get that £200 out 

Maybe if you have a lot of wealth it would make sense to stack bigger sizes 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

4 minutes ago, Kman said:

For the average Joe I think 1/4 or sovereign because maybe something pops up in future and you need to release £200, cool, just sell a sovereign, but if all you have are 1 oz gold coins then you need to sell a whole oz just to get that £200 out 

Maybe if you have a lot of wealth it would make sense to stack bigger sizes 

Sound advise

Sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign and sovereign.s then more sovereign.s 

2 minutes ago, KevinG said:

1/4 oz for me as well it's more affordable for almost everyone. Also because I don't have 1000+ on my bank account to spend on a single 1 oz gold coin. The biggest size I have ever bought was a 1/2 oz Britannia.

I wish I could just buy 1oz when ever i felt like it but the moeny I would use to buy 1/4 for example id save then buy a 1oz, that was my thinking but just wanted to see if people thoghts :)

Modern sovs from a reputable company for starters is an absolute no-brainer for me. Ounce coins only if you've got a significant amount of money to invest, and even then stop with those before you get to the point at which (even in worst expected case) you might suddenly need much more liquidity, imho.

1 hour ago, Cornishfarmer said:

1/4 queens beasts, will cost you £250/£300 more over the whole series but you will have something nice to look at

I seem to be in the minority on this one, but I don't like these coins to look at in either gold or silver - for gold, fractional Brits any day for me (although I don't know that much about them, @Numistacker is one experienced hand on here with them I believe). I have two 1/4s Beasts but no love for them whatsoever - I'd prefer Sovs myself.

Possibly an unpopular view, but I think it's good to get alternatives from all sides of opinion :)

Depending what you are in it for,  sovs  for stacking but 100 year old bullion sov can still be got for 3% over spot.   But if you had a Rwanda rooster last year could be worth 100% over spot.  It’s also a lot better to look at.    Lot here started with silver went on to semi numi gold and ended up stacking.     All depends if you want to cut out the middle man!!!

As others have said, sovereigns first and foremost. 1/4 Beasts are more than just nice, and when you get the full set, you will more than get your money back if/when you sell them. 1oz is just too much for me on different levels, one shelling out X at one time is big cut in to, even a years, money coming in. Also not always very easy to get rid of it quick  without taking a hit.

Sovereigns! By far the best value for money when buying, however unless you get a super quality good date, not worth much of a premium when selling, unless you paid that premium when you bought it.

1oz rounds however can accumulate a larger premium in a shorter time. I think it depends on the person and the reason for collecting. I am in it for the investment and the satisfaction of collecting and earning my precious metals.

Either way, you can't go wrong with sovs ?

A lot of love on this forum in general for sovereigns and once you have an older one in hand you realise why, the rich history of the coin as Real Money.  However, the collector in me realised that I would kill myself tryin to collect them all so I went for the 1/4oz Britannia proofs.  Collector or stacker approach will determine your main purchases. Defo sovereigns for stacking gold.

On 30/11/2017 at 18:04, Goldmick said:

Sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign sovereign and sovereign.s then more sovereign.s 

Can you be a bit more specific, stop fence sitting

Archived