• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Stolen goods - please read

mrgristle

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here and I wish it was under happier circumstances. At some point between 21st and 26th November, our home in Morden, Surrey, UK was burgled and the items listed below were stolen from our safe.

36 x 10 Oz silver Koalas (2015/16)
50 x 1 Oz silver Brittanias (2017) in 2 tubes
60 x 1 Oz silver Eagles (2004) in 3 tubes
3 x gold sovereigns (one George V)
1 x silver Eagle
1 x silver Maple
1 x silver penny

1 x 1 Oz gold lunar year of the monkey coin (2016)
1 x 1 Oz silver lunar year of the monkey coin (2016)
1 x Pompadour platinum engagement ring with 0.8 ct diamond
1 x Antique Chinese pearl necklace and bracelet

If you come across someone trying to sell some or all of these items, please send me a private message ASAP.

1 hour ago, mrgristle said:

Hi everyone, this is my first post on here and I wish it was under happier circumstances. At some point between 21st and 26th November, our home in Morden, Surrey, UK was burgled and the items listed below were stolen from our safe.

36 x 10 Oz silver Koalas (2015/16)
50 x 1 Oz silver Brittanias (2017) in 2 tubes
60 x 1 Oz silver Eagles (2004) in 3 tubes
3 x gold sovereigns (one George V)
1 x silver Eagle
1 x silver Maple
1 x silver penny

1 x 1 Oz gold lunar year of the monkey coin (2016)
1 x 1 Oz silver lunar year of the monkey coin (2016)
1 x Pompadour platinum engagement ring with 0.8 ct diamond
1 x Antique Chinese pearl necklace and bracelet

If you come across someone trying to sell some or all of these items, please send me a private message ASAP.

@mrgristle Was your collection insured?

More circumstances surrounding the burglary may be useful to other PM holders, of course if you are happy to share.

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Sorry to hear this. Have you circulated a list of these to local cash converter stores and similar outlets within a 15 mile or so radius?

It would be the easiest and quickest way for them to get ready cash for them.

I'm so very sad to hear this. Absolutely gutting for you, and i hope your hard earned stack will be tracked down. Stay positive that it can be, because it does happen!

A friend of mine in the US had his entire collection stolen, about $70k in bullion and proofs. It was tracked after some weeks when as it turned out a coin shop just a few miles away listed a number of assorted bullion and proofs on ebay over a couple of days. The only reason it stood out to my friend (who never gave up trawling ebay for certain stuff to be newly listed, and when it did was the seller nearby. It was all he could do himself, however small) was that all this sellers new listings matched some from his list, and the seller stated there were no OGP or COA's with the proofs which is always unusual. Long story short(er) the police got the location, called around to make enquiries in the coin shop and sure enough the owner ended up handing them buckets of coins he had bought over the counter from one guy. All tallying the list of items. Sadly, somewhere, the thief had dumped all the OGP with coa's, so even though my friend got everything back, including the Bu stuff, it was upsetting the proofs were now very much devalued. He even had a couple of important No.001 COA's. The police ended up keeping everything in evidence storage for about a year, too. But he has it all back now.

Anyway try keep positive is all i'm saying, and fingers well crossed for you. At least there are a couple of distinctive items like the ring, necklace and bracelet for starters.

Was the safe hidden? as you estimated the date of burglary I am guessing you were either on holiday or this is a second home, who knew you wouldn't be in? they must of known of your collection and the massive amount of time they had to get in the safe.

PROUD to be TRANSRACIAL.

Biology IS bigotry.

Coronavirus is made up and no-one has died from the imaginary virus.

8 minutes ago, sg86 said:

More circumstances surrounding the burglary may be useful to other PM holders, of course if you are happy to share.

Sure. I had one of these bolted down to the floor and the thieves managed to break it open in situ probably using a screwdriver to open up the gap between the door and the box, and then moving on to a crowbar. The dog bolts gave way and the door was completely ripped off. Judging from how it looks, it probably only took them a few minutes and no power tools were needed. I've examined the construction of the door and it was made out of 1mm thick mild steel, but folded over at the edges to make it look like the front plate is about 5mm thick. This is obviously woefully inadequate. The rest of the safe seemed pretty solid, but this is no use if the door is so weak.

I'd advise you all check the construction of your safes and replace if necessary.

8 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

Without giving anything away - do you think they had knowledge you had PM's... or that you had a safe? Most burglars are in and out as fast as they can.

No, I believe it was opportunistic. I've since found out that there have been several other burglaries in the area recently.

9 minutes ago, austack said:

Was the safe hidden? as you estimated the date of burglary I am guessing you were either on holiday or this is a second home, who knew you wouldn't be in? they must of known of your collection and the massive amount of time they had to get in the safe.

The safe was somewhat hidden, but wouldn't have taken too long to find if someone was searching for it. The bedrooms were ransacked which must have been before they got to the safe because they wouldn't have risked looking elsewhere afterwards. Also, the way they searched through the bedrooms indicated that they weren't looking for a safe.

Well I am sorry to hear the bad news, my girlfriends house was burgled recently too, my safe is actually cemented in to the ground but it's not an expensive one.. definitely making me rethink, hope you get all or at least some of your coins back, but for now you'll have to keep an eye out on the usual sites, ebay, gumtree, shpock and facebook.

PROUD to be TRANSRACIAL.

Biology IS bigotry.

Coronavirus is made up and no-one has died from the imaginary virus.

Sorry to hear about this

I know hindsight is 20/20, but I think a big part of the security for a home safe should be making sure it's well disguised or hidden

Very easy to hide one oz gold coins around the home and I would rather do that personally than have them in an insecure safe easily found

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Sorry to hear about anyone experiencing this intrusive trauma.

People have already given good ideas. One thing I noticed that stuck out is the unusual number, 36, of Koalas. That could be key to finding your haul, if someone is coincidentally listing 36 for sale anywhere, along with some or even none of the rest of the silver quantities.

Wishing you good luck.

19 hours ago, mrgristle said:

Sure. I had one of these bolted down to the floor and the thieves managed to break it open in situ probably using a screwdriver to open up the gap between the door and the box, and then moving on to a crowbar. The dog bolts gave way and the door was completely ripped off. Judging from how it looks, it probably only took them a few minutes and no power tools were needed. I've examined the construction of the door and it was made out of 1mm thick mild steel, but folded over at the edges to make it look like the front plate is about 5mm thick. This is obviously woefully inadequate. The rest of the safe seemed pretty solid, but this is no use if the door is so weak.

I'd advise you all check the construction of your safes and replace if necessary.

Sorry to hear this.  Seems this safe is just a fire safe, not a burglar rated safe.  For example, Gardall makes B rating safes of various sizes (here in US, not sure about availability in UK or elsewhere).  Amsec is another well know safe company here.  A lot more money for these Burglar rated safes of course.

Best of luck finding your items.

Its hard to get insurance for bullion at home in most of the UK!  I feel sorry for you.  I hope you had your jewelery insured.  

I would say most keep there bullion in safety deposit boxes etc

38 minutes ago, Pipers said:

Its hard to get insurance for bullion at home in most of the UK!  I feel sorry for you.  I hope you had your jewelery insured.  

I would say most keep there bullion in safety deposit boxes etc

Safety deposit you're quite possibly looking at government confiscation/daylight robbery by the banks imvho.

Interesting thread here:

12 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Safety deposit you're quite possibly looking at government confiscation/daylight robbery by the banks imvho.

Interesting thread here:

If you let the insurers know what you have then it can be confiscated too. If you have paid your tax then you should not be taxed again on a collection or collectible but i for one do not trust the Treasury on this matter.   

Archived