• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake 1887 £5 ?

wilky1

I bought this at auction and it came today, the first thing I did was to weigh it and its light 38.60 g instead of 39.94g I then weighed 5 new sovereigns and they came in spot on 39.9g.

Now I am concerned is it a fake I would really appriciate some help before I go back to the auction house so here are a few pictures of it.

Many thanks

Martin.

DSC_7435.jpg

DSC_7436.jpg

DSC_7442.jpg

That looks like a really good quality fake. The 1887 version is the most faked version out there. 

Like @BackyardBullion suggests, measure the dimensions. If you have a jeweller nearby, ask them to XRF the coin too. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

I got caught out buying from a well known auction house. I took it that they did all the checks themselves and so I was naive and took their work for it. It was a Krugerrand and I bought it for a reasonable price..not amazing but better than dealers.

It wasn't until I got it home that I checked it myself and the weight was terribly out.

In fairness to them I sent an email and called them. It didn't take much persuading for them to let me send it back for them to evaluate themselves.

A few days later they refunded the full amount with an apology.

That one doesn't look quite right to me. That said I don't really collect Victoria's so I'm by no means we'll versed enough to tell you exactly.

6 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

5 new sovereigns compared to a coin that is 150 years old and with wear isn't comparable. 

I disagree.

39.94/38.6 the difference is almost ~3.5%. from the photos

it doesn't look that worn.

getting a dealers opinion or just go back to the auction house

with your concern is probably what I would try.

HH

54 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

I disagree.

39.94/38.6 the difference is almost ~3.5%. from the photos

it doesn't look that worn.

getting a dealers opinion or just go back to the auction house

with your concern is probably what I would try.

HH

Exactly agreed. The weight difference is significant enough to worry me. Remember most coins were usually a tad over weight - unless heavily circulated I wouldnt expect more than 1gram to wear off. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Thanks for all your replies, I have measured the the coin and yes I think it is a fake.

weight 38.60

Diameter ranges with digital calipers from 36.24-36.14-36.22

No where is it 36.02

Kind regards

Martin.

If the weight is that far out, it's definitely a fake. Even though it is pretty worn in numismatic terms, it shouldn't have lost more than 0.1 - 0.2g

The 1887 £5 is the most faked coin I know, I've seen probably 2 or 3 fakes for every real one.

The reverse of these coins usually tells the story, if you compare them to a real one. Mainly the date and tail stand out as wrong. This one seems to have poor definition of G&D.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 hours ago, wilky1 said:

I bought this at auction

Now this shouldn't happen. No reputable auction house should be letting these slip through; they shouldn't be selling coins unless they have enough knowledge and experience to sieve out any fakes. This one especially is inexcusable due to the weight anomaly.

I think "name and shame" is in order so that we can all avoid them.

12 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Now this shouldn't happen. No reputable auction house should be letting these slip through; they shouldn't be selling coins unless they have enough knowledge and experience to sieve out any fakes. This one especially is inexcusable due to the weight anomaly.

I think "name and shame" is in order so that we can all avoid them.

I will await the outcome as I have just posted it back before I do that, BUT apparently they had an expert come in and grade the coins, this one was supposed to be EF they are going to get him to reevaluate the coin, I did say that I would have it professionally evaluated if they insist its not fake.

Martin.

38 minutes ago, wilky1 said:

I will await the outcome as I have just posted it back before I do that, BUT apparently they had an expert come in and grade the coins, this one was supposed to be EF they are going to get him to reevaluate the coin, I did say that I would have it professionally evaluated if they insist its not fake.

Martin.

"expert"! a joke surely, coin is nowhere near EF:lol:

Imo it's a fake,  did the auction house not state the weight of the coin before it was sold.  I have to say most auction houses over state the condition of coins eg ef when in fact the coin is 'effectively faulty'

• 1 month later...

I would measure all the dimensions as accurately as possible. I come across a 1893 Double sovereign that was fake it had the right weight and was 22ct (probably melted from 2 sovereigns) but the dimensions wear not quite right.

Archived