• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Light Scratches or Milk Spots on Coin. Send it Back???

999magnum

Alright the question here is would you guys send a coin back to the seller because it has very light scratches or a tiny bit of milk spotting? Does price and coin availability play a part in you returning or keeping the coin?

I just received my Queens Beasts the Lion, and on Elizabeth's cheek, there are ever so slight lines that's not clearly visible unless you bring it to your eye and tilt the coin back and forth. I know that by watching Youtube people do receive perfect bullion coins so they say, and some say for example that they will give whatever seller a call about the milk spots. Will keeping these coins in this condition take away from my ability to get fair pricing, not spot, but fair for what they are or is this how they all are? This is hard for me because I understand these are not in slabs or proofs. I get it, but what I don't know is what should you expect from a bullion coin such as the queen's beasts series?

If the coin has come from a tube there is a good chance there will be some marks on it, if you buy these coins as a single coin from the RM they are sent in a capsule so maybe there is a reduced chance of marks or lines. Really it is just luck, some have managed to get perfect bullion Beast's, but many others have not. At the end of the day it is a bullion coin and it just depends if it's your lucky day.

Coins sold in capsules like Perth Mint Lunars, Kooks etc tend to be very good.
New proofs should be perfect and scratch free.
Loose bullion coins are more likely to show some imperfections like fine scratches, rub marks etc as you describe since 999 silver is relatively soft.

Sadly the coins with shiny backgrounds and polished cameo ( Queen's cheeks for example ) from our Royal Mint can be shabby and a poor example considering they can mint stunning coins. I think the bullion silver gets produced like washers and thrown into hoppers so the coins get scuffed, dinged and scratched. Quality control doesn't seem to apply.

The only thing that is guaranteed with a bullion coin is its weight so you take a chance buying bullion so be selective in what you purchase.
Some coins show up scratches more than others so the duller, matt finish ones hide the horrors better.
Your Beast seems normal and you may actually have a coin that is better than most.

1 hour ago, Pete said:

Your Beast seems normal and you may actually have a coin that is better than most.

That’s what I wanted to know. I was being picky about it because of all the YouTube silver people that seem to return something at the drop of a dime. It’s bullion. I even know that and I just started buying silver. The truth is that it’s a bit overwhelming. With all this new info (new to me) it’s easy to lose sight of what’s true and what’s not. 

10 hours ago, 999magnum said:

because of all the YouTube silver people that seem to return something at the drop of a dime

In the US you have much better options than say in the UK - most dealers there would work with you to get you a better quality coin - in the UK its not that easy. UK coins tend not to be perfect, I have 5 QBs with really rough edges - not happy with them, but then they are bullion buys so all go into a tube rather than a capsule. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Archived