• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

no silver deficit in the last 10 years?

HawkHybrid

Above ground stockpile is growing, and the way they defined stockpiles is by including investment silver.

Simply the bulk of the silver stockpiles are held by silver stackers. David Morgan’s estimates 1.1 billion oz are held by investors.

Silver is plentiful can be a misleading statement, while that is a true statement, it should not be considered that silver mining is is growing. Currently many mining companies are in the red and the current silver price has made many reserves not financially attractive.

Above ground stockpile is growing, and the way they defined stockpiles is by including investment silver.

Simply the bulk of the silver stockpiles are held by silver stackers. David Morgan’s estimates 1.1 billion oz are held by investors.

Silver is plentiful can be a misleading statement, while that is a true statement, it should not be considered that silver mining is is growing. Currently many mining companies are in the red and the current silver price has made many reserves not financially attractive.

1 hour ago, Gav said:

the silver investment stockpile had to come from mining production

at some point recently(for the new coins). do all silver stackers have

the intention of selling on at least much of their silver stack at some

point in their lifetime? some analysis of silver demand is classifying

silver for investment as consumed silver. I believe that stockpiled

silver for investment are intended to be sold back to the market. just

as middlemen do not buy to consume, they buy to sell on. it's a zero

sum calculation over the long term.

HH

the silver investment stockpile had to come from mining production
at some point recently(for the new coins). do all silver stackers have
the intention of selling on at least much of their silver stack at some
point in their lifetime? some analysis of silver demand is classifying
silver for investment as consumed silver. I believe that stockpiled
silver for investment are intended to be sold back to the market. just
as middlemen do not buy to consume, they buy to sell on. it's a zero
sum calculation over the long term.

HH

There are some good questions that I don’t know. As for silver coins coming back into the market, I’m sure that will happen but generally coins have a premium that discourages that silver from being reintroduced into the supply and demand cycle. I guess it all has to do with price. I think it is clear that supply and demand is not a price driver for silver.

It is also noteworthy that when prices go up so does investment demand. The below chart is from the silver institute. b7e2904382f4ee6e75d3eb913a74e9ef.png

5 hours ago, Gav said:

I’m sure that will happen but generally coins have a premium that discourages that silver from being reintroduced into the supply and demand cycle.

I don't agree. eg older britannias can be sold to current year

buyers of silver. I believe across longer time frames this is

a zero sum trade. (also there are all sorts of reasons of

emergency that will force holders to sell silver knowing that

they will lose the premium they paid. if pm's were held

indefinitely then mintage numbers would equal coins in

existence, which we know is not true.)

5 hours ago, Gav said:

I think it is clear that supply and demand is not a price driver for silver.

I agree. I think that fundamentals in demand and supply are

not moving the silver price as people expect. this I believe is

a reason why david morgan says there is a stockpile of silver

but he expects the price to rise starting 3-6 months. sounds

contradictory but it is possible.

HH

I don’t agree...

I actually think you do have a valid point. The numbers don’t take that into account. Though in fairness to the silver institute’s numbers it would be nearly impossible to measure how much retail investment silver went back into the market. The scape metal returning to the supply has been on a decline yet the physical silver needed to produce investment silver (coins and bars) has been growing.

Your point does add towards a already solid case for a long term bull market for silver. Though when the bull market for silver takes off is a question that can only be speculated about.

Though current market perception for silver is probably at an all time low as the case for bitcoin and other cryptos are much more attractive than silver.

Archived