• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

tiered coin discounts

craig12

just wondered if anyone has any view on wether the tiered coin or bar discounts  are usefull  I haven't got all the facts and figures obviously  but on atkinsons  they drop on the sovereign an average of a £1   between  1 sovereign  and 250+  so if the tiers go 1,5,10,20,50,100,250, etc  theres a £12 saving for mass ordering , I myself don't see any point in going over the 20 threshold on most items,  not that I can afford it  but  the difference between  say 20 coins and a 1000  dosent seem to drop that much.just ny opinion 

ps  unless you could group buy or buy with a fellow stacker

suppose that's where the Atkinson mix and match works

If you're in the market for a huge order, then yes, tiered pricing is useful.

The problem with Atkinsons is the price includes delivery which means for the first few tiers, as the qty goes up and the price goes down, they're removing some of the delivery charge rather than giving a discount as such.

If you're asking if it's worth doing a group buy then my answer is no.  The price difference between 1 and 20 is around £7.  It'll cost almost that in Special Delivery charge to forward the coin.  What about 2 you say?  You save a tad under £5 each but the Special Delivery charge also applies.  How about 3 or 4.  Yes, there is more of a saving but would you send someone who you don't really know £600-£800 to save a fiver or tenner.

Mix and match doesn't work with gold, only silver.

If you're buying silver, would any of us really buy from Atkinsons.

May as well go to the likes of ESB/STG if you really want to take into account of the lows IMO.

I'd only go to Atkinsons for coins which I only want singles or couples on, nothing big. Or gold.

the special offer page isn't bad  although at the moment get this   I believe on the 2 rand coin  bairds  with a £7.50 del is cheaper than atkinsons  bairds are 3% over spot on 2 rand coins and coronas

heres a funny thing  they had a 1 oz Johnson matthey silver bar in today  pre owned  secondhand  it was £15.93 or so  it stated  vat free

the special offer page isn't bad although at the moment get this I believe on the 2 rand coin bairds with a £7.50 del is cheaper than atkinsons bairds are 3% over spot on 2 rand coins and coronas

It'll happen all the time Craig, that's why you have to shop around on every order rather than sticking to one vendor.

Stacker since 2013

Here's how it should work if done properly.

Say you make £10 on 1 item.

Offer a discount and make £9 per item on 2.  Then maybe £8 per item on 5.

You're still making more overall and you are enticing people to order more.

the special offer page isn't bad  although at the moment get this   I believe on the 2 rand coin  bairds  with a £7.50 del is cheaper than atkinsons  bairds are 3% over spot on 2 rand coins and coronas

heres a funny thing  they had a 1 oz Johnson matthey silver bar in today  pre owned  secondhand  it was £15.93 or so  it stated  vat free

You can't always be the cheapest for everything. 

I don't understand your reference to the Johnson Matthey Bar.  £15.93 second hand is cheaper than £20.45 new

I totally agree danny  we have the cash   I was looking at Guernsey mint the other day  they had a fantastic offer of 1 kg bar at around £412 plus vat  no other dealer could get close   ( I think it was metalor)  but heres the crunch  £15 delivery charge  by the time you added the bullion rock deal plus vat plus del  most uk dealers were cheaper

I totally agree danny we have the cash I was looking at Guernsey mint the other day they had a fantastic offer of 1 kg bar at around £412 plus vat no other dealer could get close ( I think it was metalor) but heres the crunch £15 delivery charge by the time you added the bullion rock deal plus vat plus del most uk dealers were cheaper

Understand what you are saying C, but I think £15 is a very reasonable shipping charge from abroad with insured delivery.

Are you in the market for a kilo lump?

Stacker since 2013

£521.36 Atkinsons

£528.15 Bullion Rock

£530 Bullion by Post

£528.20 Chards

All 1kg Metalor delivered.  Atkinsons is cheapest because they're running one of their "specials".  Otherwise, they're all similarly priced.

Then bringing in BullionRock, ~£420 + £84 (VAT @ 20%) + £15 (P&P) =  ~£519.

Plus any other "bend over" charges Royal Mail/HMRC charges want to add on.

May as well buy Atkinsons and save on the aggro, that's what i'd do there.

Then bringing in BullionRock, ~£420 + £84 (VAT @ 20%) + £15 (P&P) = ~£519.

Plus any other "bend over" charges Royal Mail/HMRC charges want to add on.

May as well buy Atkinsons and save on the aggro, that's what i'd do there.

Ares, I think VAT is pre-paid so no RM or customs charges.

Stacker since 2013

£519 at bairds

That's their own bar.  Are you comparing same brands or just weight.  If weight, there will be even more variation as refiners and mints charge all kinds of different prices depending on their own costs and designs etc etc etc.

isn't silver the same regardless of brand

Why is 1kg any different from 1 oz, 2 oz, 5 oz, 10 oz, 100g, 500g????

All these other weights have price difference even though they are silver.

£20 on £520 is 3.85%.  That's like 5op ish on 1oz at £15 but happens all the time.

Libertad £14.7. ASE £15.15, Panda £17.25, Maple £14.08 <--- all STG prices on 1 oz

What is so special about 1kg?  The price variances are no different.

Archived