• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Someone please explain this to me

buckeyecoins

13 minutes ago, Xander said:

Low mintage doesn't necessarily = high value.

Totally agree.  I've a 2000 St Helena proof gold 50p (AGW 1.410 ozt) from a limited issue of only 100.  Were I to sell it, I doubt that I get much of a premium above spot.

2 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

not many people do one ounce  GOLD coins 

Only the wealthy Chinese and other Asian countries. Think China is buying silver. Just cheap brits stack silver. You should of said no many Silver Forum members buy one ounce gold. But you will buy silver at much higher percentage  premiums that most gold one ounce coins.

2 hours ago, reidpj said:

Totally agree.  I've a 2000 St Helena proof gold 50p (AGW 1.410 ozt) from a limited issue of only 100.  Were I to sell it, I doubt that I get much of a premium above spot.

And look at all the members on here scrambling to buy the Rwanda gold bu series to pawn it off on some naive uneducated collector at spot plus 100%-200% markup. 

1 hour ago, Sal said:

Only the wealthy Chinese and other Asian countries. Think China is buying silver. Just cheap brits stack silver. You should of said no many Silver Forum members buy one ounce gold. But you will buy silver at much higher percentage  premiums that most gold one ounce coins.

china people buying ( like silver )?????  I didn't know that ........ thanks for the info 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

8 hours ago, Sal said:

Doesn't alter the fact that very few 1 oz gold coins ever attract a premium on the secondary market.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

10 hours ago, reidpj said:

Mind you, I did manage to get a fairy hefty premium, over spot, for a 1999 proof gold Diana £5, recently.  That edition was limited to 7500.  The asking prices on eBay probably helped a lot ?

14 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

not many people do one ounce  GOLD coins 

12 hours ago, Sal said:

Oh I don't know about that...I reckon quite a few members on here will have ounce bullion coins, there's just not much to talk about with them really, is there?

Obviously the number of us who buy numismatic or semi-numismatic ounces will be much smaller.

Off-forum my bet is that many Old Money folk will be buying all they can get their hands on right now while the paper price remains where it is.

15 hours ago, buckeyecoins said:

Ok seasoned stackers/collectors, please explain to me why a first year of issue coin with only 5000 mintage sold for basically spot price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Perth-Mint-Australia-100-00-Gold-Swan-9999-1-Ounce-Bullion-coin/202116458730 

Somebody got a heck of a deal on that.

That did go very cheap. Not a coin that's grabbed me personally in either silver or gold but if the series improves and establishes itself, and they don't milk it, that could be a winner imvho. Certainly at that price it's a no-lose!

the mint sold to the buyer (the one who commission the coin), keep some to satisfied the loudest of noises 

it is comical to see people just bidding up the price like no other that bear the swan's mark, this is tulip mania re-play in cyber spaces 

45 minutes ago, kimchi said:

That did go very cheap. Not a coin that's grabbed me personally in either silver or gold but if the series improves and establishes itself, and they don't milk it, that could be a winner imvho. Certainly at that price it's a no-lose!

As a percentage over spot gold will sell at a much lower premium than silver. Don't even try to compare even the most expensive gold bullion coin premium to SP premiums. And where do most of those high premium silver proofs go? To the scrap metal pile. I'll stick to bullion gold and the occasional gold proof (Libertads mostly)and won't lose as much on my hobby than silver proof collectors.

Just now, Sal said:

As a percentage over spot gold will sell at a much lower premium than silver. Don't even try to compare even the most expensive gold bullion coin premium to SP premiums. And where do most of those high premium silver proofs go? To the scrap metal pile. I'll stick to bullion gold and the occasional gold proof (Libertads mostly)and won't lose as much on my hobby than silver proof collectors.

A good strategy imho, but I wasn't comparing this sold gold ounce to any kind of silver - I was comparing it to bullion gold prices in the US.

Just picked up some nice Libertad proofs myself actually, can't wait to see them :)

16 hours ago, buckeyecoins said:

Ok seasoned stackers/collectors, please explain to me why a first year of issue coin with only 5000 mintage sold for basically spot price:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2017-Perth-Mint-Australia-100-00-Gold-Swan-9999-1-Ounce-Bullion-coin/202116458730 

Somebody got a heck of a deal on that.

Not that great of deal when you factor in the $25 shipping. What did the buyer save vs. buying the coin from high priced APMEX?  Maybe $50?  3%-4%. 10% restocking fee if you have to return the coin for any reason. No thanks

31 minutes ago, Sal said:

As a percentage over spot gold will sell at a much lower premium than silver. 

This is because the average collector (including myself) cannot afford to buy 10 oz of gold but they can afford 10 oz of silver.  Silver is in high demand right now and dealers are cashing in big time on the silver-stacking craze.  

13 minutes ago, Sal said:

Not that great of deal when you factor in the $25 shipping. What did the buyer save vs. buying the coin from high priced APMEX?  Maybe $50?  3%-4% 

Perhaps not now that I think about it...I hadn't looked up what the APMEX sell price was.  Still any time you can pick up a coin like that at or close to spot it's a good deal.

1 hour ago, Kman said:

Id be interested in a list compiled of the highest premium modern 1 oz gold coins

While we are at it might as well add silver coins as well. It will be tough because the premium is always moving around. Guess you could base it on issue date premium. Sounds like a waste of time to me.

2 hours ago, buckeyecoins said:

Are the Rwanda issues not modern?

2 hours ago, buckeyecoins said:

Are the Rwanda issues not modern?

What I mean is for modern coins range it is a big premium but for classic coin it's not 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

Archived