• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NGC 1965 MS 65 sovereign for....

Ryland

45 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

That's about £365 you paid. I'm not a Sov man, but ungraded ones listed as BU are selling for £280.

Will wait for others opinions but if you have overpaid it'll not be by any amount worth regretting it.

That was my thinking as well, seemed like $150 more than a standard sovereign and it was graded at the highest level.  Plus I play the dumb credit card game were I get 2% back of everything I buy and I simply pay the bill before the statement is ever sent.

11 hours ago, Cacc said:

According to Krause, in uncirculated condition it is  worth $245usd

so a lot less than spot, catalogue clearly out of date. also the fact it doesn't differentiate between all the early Eliz II sovs shows it is just going through the motions and isn't a serious price guide.

you won't get accurate values for the very top grade coins from catalogues. MS65 is a high grade for any sovereign that has seen the light of day and as such the value is very much dependent on what collectors will pay at the time.

1965 is a common year and has nothing notable to increase it's value but people will pay for the top condition coins.

£365 is possibly too much but certainly not horrendous.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

11 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

so a lot less than spot, catalogue clearly out of date. also the fact it doesn't differentiate between all the early Eliz II sovs shows it is just going through the motions and isn't a serious price guide.

you won't get accurate values for the very top grade coins from catalogues. MS65 is a high grade for any sovereign that has seen the light of day and as such the value is very much dependent on what collectors will pay at the time.

1965 is a common year and has nothing notable to increase it's value but people will pay for the top condition coins.

£365 is possibly too much but certainly not horrendous.

Thank you for explaining why the price would be wrong in that guide and your well thought out comment, I appreciate it.  Well good, it seems that the price was ok, I feel good about my purchase. Paying with the credit card helped me get it closer to £359 realized price so probably not bad at all.

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

so a lot less than spot, catalogue clearly out of date.

It is the Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins 1901-2000, the 2016 edition. The bullion values that it lists for G&S in the front of the book are: Gold $1,150-$1,300 and Silver $15.46-$18.50. With most bullion coins it does seem like they called it in and haven't bothered to change values for quite a few years. Thanks for pointing that out -- I actually hadn't paid attention to that or thought about it.

At today's gold spot price, the gold content alone is $302usd and then the premium on top of that and anything in that condition will shoot up the value as well.

On 22/11/2017 at 00:55, Cacc said:

According to Krause, in uncirculated condition it is  worth $245usd. Doesn't seem to list better conditions for most sovereigns.

Maybe because there are no better conditions than unc as this implies it is as it came from the mint?

Archived