• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Self Grading Coins

aztecstargazer

What is the benefit to grading coins by professionals, and grading coins from your own skill/ opinion? 

I know it is obvious that people will trust a professional over a general collector. This will always demand higher prices. But I would expect a buyer would appreciate buying coins with a general idea of their grade, and have the option to get them professionally graded if they so chose. 

So knowing the dings, nicks, spots etc, and making it a point to point them out to a buyer, should be a factor of buying and selling your coins on the secondary market. 

I know I have grown to treat my coins like "101 Dalmatians". I know which coin is which, based on their imperfections. So I have my own general idea of what grade these coins are. But when it comes time to sell them, should I be open and honest about these imperfections? Or should I just take a picture of the coin and tell the potential buyers to play the roulette wheel? 

IMO you should always be honest with conditions when its time to sell

When it comes to newer bullion, no idea to grade yourself

Thats becouse there are already so many graded

When it comes to older numismatc coins, you can always estimate the condition for the buyer

Honesty is the best policy, but many don't feel the same way, which is why third party grading is important I think.  I personally don't buy any raw coins unless its from a big online dealer (or LCS that I know well). 

Self grading is an oxymoron, kinda defeats the purpose.

Archived