• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Latest Perth Privy - alternate Kook design!

swAgger

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, swAgger said:

It was really just to illustrate a point. But yeah, i guess it's no harm to link, it's the done thing on here isn't it. Here you go https://www.lpm.hk/2017-1oz-australia-kookaburra-privy-panda-999-silver-coin-bu.html

Super buddy thanks - a very good price there, I'll see if my friend can pick a few up if he's passing.

• 3 weeks later...

Some of these have landed today, I don't know what to make of them in the flesh to be honest! Anyone else?

First thought (I don't have any regulars yet) is 'how on earth are they going to put the moon on that?!!' :o

It's a striking design that's for sure.

I loved the 2017 panda privy as soon as I saw it in hand, but then I already knew the coin well...this is like a bolt out the blue!

On 11/21/2017 at 21:29, 999magnum said:

I wonder if there are any taxes/fees imposed to the receiver from the US when receiving this type of a shipment from overseas...

Duty + VAT in the UK on merchandise if value and contents are declared properly.

4 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

That was confusing on my part. I meant if I was receiving something for example. Anyways just read the eamil from APMEX that these are in.

Receiving something from a US seller to a US buyer and asking if there are fees to be paid from overseas? Yea, I is right confused indeedy, lol! :P

How much are they asking for now?

6 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

Man I feel for you guys from the other side of the pond. I should never ever complain about US prices.

Wait until the dollar crashes and you have to pay $1000 for a milky Brit, then we can commiserate together :(

Anyway! So you have one in hand, what do you think? :)

Just now, kimchi said:

Wait until the dollar crashes and you have to pay $1000 for a milky Brit, then we can commiserate together :(

Anyway! So you have one in hand, what do you think?

No i don't yet. Just got the email that they are in. You know the privy is unique, but I think they are going to feel just like another 2018 or 2017 in hand, lol.

3 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I should be raising chicken and goats and stacking flour instead. Seriously man! Hopefully the silver will save me instead of being used to cast bullets.

17 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

No i don't yet. Just got the email that they are in. You know the privy is unique, but I think they are going to feel just like another 2018 or 2017 in hand, lol.

Could well do! I haven't got a 2018 in hand yet, just these privys. But I'm astonished at them (still not sure if in a good or bad way yet - that's why I asked for others' opinions!).

I think it could a series-busting coin myself having seen it now. I don't think it's anything like a 2017 where I think the regulars and privys are all lovely. Be very interested what you think of it in hand :)

14 minutes ago, 999magnum said:

I should be raising chicken and goats and stacking flour instead. Seriously man! Hopefully the silver will save me instead of being used to cast bullets.

Sorry, I came off rude there. I didn't mean to at all - I meant to be 'pithy' and 'glib' but it obviously didn't work out, soz! :)

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

Blimey that's cheap as chips, astonished at that :o

It can be got at a good price this side too. Aurinum is at €18.34 (about a dollar less?). Not cheap or even free shipping of course, like Apmex, but works out fine when getting a handful of these and maybe a bunch of some other coins in the same order.

OK after time to reflect - I really like these Kook dog privys :) Upon first receipt I wasn't blown away, but I liked them. After a little while I find I like them more and more.

Not the best design ever, but certainly not the worst. A nice coin imho, lovely detail on the Kook, and for those that say it's only got one leg, well the Kooks have a long history of that (if not so obviously). Plus they've made a HUGE change by removing the moon - this is very disruptive, so beyond the mixed reception of the 2018, we also have the biggest change to a design for this kind of coin that I know of (abeit as a newbie - I'm more than happy to be corrected there).

I also think the 'regular' (with the moon) has been written off by too many people unfairly. The moon is so much subtler in hand than the stock photos on websites - it very much has the finish of the field, so it tends to blend in behind the Kook even though it's large. My thought with the privy was 'how can they fit the moon into that?!!' but when I got the 'regular' my reaction was 'how can they have taken that out?!!'.

Next year is key to the series continuing to do well/OK (or not), and it needs a return to a very traditional design imvho, which may well not happen after this year's effort. But 2016 and 2017 were still sell outs at 500 000, it'll be interesting to see how this one does. Either a fitting end to the series imho (go out with a bang!) or a disruptive interlude.

I have some 2016 monkey privys in hand now - I really don't ike them, absolutely ruins what is othewrsise one of my favourite coins so far.

The 2017 pandas (thanks @muenzdachs!) are super though imvho.

Any more thoughts anyone? Love to hear what other folk think! :)

I didn't get any yet. Instead I'm waiting to place an order soon of these and the moon kook, another 2018 panda, and a few other things I want. With Christmas, birthdays and my regular buying, I'm afraid I'm way over budget this month, but we will see right after Christmas. With spot so low and dropping again, it's hard to find a reason not to buy. My kids don't really have to eat that much ;)

7 hours ago, kimchi said:

OK after time to reflect - I really like these Kook dog privys :) Upon first receipt I wasn't blown away, but I liked them. After a little while I find I like them more and more.

Not the best design ever, but certainly not the worst. A nice coin imho, lovely detail on the Kook, and for those that say it's only got one leg, well the Kooks have a long history of that (if not so obviously). Plus they've made a HUGE change by removing the moon - this is very disruptive, so beyond the mixed reception of the 2018, we also have the biggest change to a design for this kind of coin that I know of (abeit as a newbie - I'm more than happy to be corrected there).

I also think the 'regular' (with the moon) has been written off by too many people unfairly. The moon is so much subtler in hand than the stock photos on websites - it very much has the finish of the field, so it tends to blend in behind the Kook even though it's large. My thought with the privy was 'how can they fit the moon into that?!!' but when I got the 'regular' my reaction was 'how can they have taken that out?!!'.

Next year is key to the series continuing to do well/OK (or not), and it needs a return to a very traditional design imvho, which may well not happen after this year's effort. But 2016 and 2017 were still sell outs at 500 000, it'll be interesting to see how this one does. Either a fitting end to the series imho (go out with a bang!) or a disruptive interlude.

I have some 2016 monkey privys in hand now - I really don't ike them, absolutely ruins what is othewrsise one of my favourite coins so far.

I think I should keep the coin especially after  I have seen ampex price :P

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

8 hours ago, kimchi said:

Nice review done of the 2018 kook regular and dog privy. In total agreement. My first impression of the regular with moon was that i really liked the bird. I  wasn't bothered by the one leg showing either. Or that the feathers looked like the kook had just been dragged backward through a hedge. I feel let designs get away with some artistic license. And yes, although most people including me thought at first the moon was a bit much in scale, i do agree with your point that in the end it's not too bad because it blends with the finish of the background. If it had been polished like the bird, then not so good.

You really think the kook series is in danger, and next years design needs to be key? I think it's entrenched as a staple series. For me and purely my own opinion, i think including this one the last 3 designs have been nicely done (and a poor one is due ;)). They are also cheap, well minted and capsuled at the price, and always sell out over the course of the year. Good design or not. I always have confidence when buying them that good condition is something i don't need to worry about either. Granted, from everyones personal views there are always weak years design wise, there were maybe 2 years in a row a while back that i was meh about. But i'll buy them regardless.

The dog privy will be the only privy in a long time that i intended picking up. I've had to hold off up to now. Although Aurinum have had them for a while, i have some items on my list which GS.be have and aurinum didn't. Happily, it has just popped up on GS now! Cost is slightly more but as i was getting the other stuff regardless, i kind of view the kook privys having zero shipping cost, if you know what i mean.

16 hours ago, swAgger said:

You really think the kook series is in danger, and next years design needs to be key? I think it's entrenched as a staple series. For me and purely my own opinion, i think including this one the last 3 designs have been nicely done (and a poor one is due ;)). They are also cheap, well minted and capsuled at the price, and always sell out over the course of the year. Good design or not. I always have confidence when buying them that good condition is something i don't need to worry about either.

The dog privy will be the only privy in a long time that i intended picking up. I've had to hold off up to now. Although Aurinum have had them for a while, i have some items on my list which GS.be have and aurinum didn't. Happily, it has just popped up on GS now! Cost is slightly more but as i was getting the other stuff regardless, i kind of view the kook privys having zero shipping cost, if you know what i mean.

Snipping your post just to respond to a few points made to focus in on, hope that's OK :)

The following is all imvho!

I don't think the series is in danger at all, they'll always have a market, I think the point is what premium you can expect to retain/improve upon. The 2016 and 2017 were lovely, delicate designs, while being bold as well. The 2018 is a real 'wtf' (not necessarily in a bad way - certainly not for me - I like it!) so they have disrupted the series more than ever before. I think to pull that back next year has to be more traditional - another outlandish coin will send everyone looking to everything pre-2018 (perhaps only temporarily, we'll see).

Cheap, well-minted and capsulated - I absolutely agree! However I've heard of a milk spot on a 1oz and @BackyardBullion had a 10oz I believe was delivered spotted from Goldsilber - I've never heard of this before on Kooks full-stop, let alone 'new' coins (but again I am a relative newbie so stand to be corrected!).

I don't think you can go too far wrong on the dog privy if you get it at a decent price :)

Archived