• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Moon Panda is dead?

Hobbot

As a collector, I have mixed feelings about the recent rumor by China to kill any new moon festival panda production.  My favorite design is the 2015 panda because it appears to be gazing at the moon.  Not only is it cool that the gold used in the coin has visited space, but the scale of the moon in that design just works well to balance with the busy textured panda's fur.  Is anyone else disappointed that new designs won't be produced this year, and possibly ever again?  Do you think it is a good or bad move for China to end the series?

9 hours ago, Hobbot said:

As a collector, I have mixed feelings about the recent move by China to kill any new moon festival panda production.  My favorite design is the 2015 panda because it appears to be gazing at the moon.  Not only is it cool that the gold used in the coin has visited space, but the scale of the moon in that design just works well to balance with the busy textured panda's fur.  Is anyone else disappointed that new designs won't be produced this year, and possibly ever again?  Do you think it is a good or bad move for China to end the series?

Could this be because they are denominated in the old 1oz weight and not the new 30g. Maybe for the limited mintage it's not viable.

Interesting article, will this include all non fiat panda series and coin show items? 

If all series are stopt by the Chinese government, collectors could go after the earlier issues. And prices for these non fiat coins could go up really fast.  On the other hand people could also lose interest, because some series have only one or two releases.

I'm curious to know how this will develop!!!    

Archived