• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign vote

Goldmick

I think the new release SOTD really puts a dent in the previous sapphire jubilee SOTD

You thought you were getting a very limited 2017, no privy, G&D design in BU with only 750 mintage, "haha nope only joking!" says the Royal Mint, releasing 750 more with the only difference being the paper that comes with them :| 

The 2018 proof will probably at best hold its value. 

If you're interested in investing/flipping, I don't think either is a goer. 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

44 minutes ago, Kman said:

I think the new release SOTD really puts a dent in the previous sapphire jubilee SOTD

You thought you were getting a very limited 2017, no privy, G&D design in BU with only 750 mintage, "haha nope only joking!" says the Royal Mint, releasing 750 more with the only difference being the paper that comes with them :| 

The 2018 proof will probably at best hold its value. 

If you're interested in investing/flipping, I don't think either is a goer. 

I think you’re right Kman 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

I agree @Kman.

The uniqueness of the Sapphire Jubilee SOTD was that it was the only regular design of 2017. 

With the SOTD “regular design” mintage now up to 1500 AND the added confusion of there being no markings to distinguish between the two different releases, they’ve both negated their uniqueness, imo. 

Add to that the fact they’re both BU strikes and have an issue price of almost £50 over the Proof strikes, I feel they can only fall in value, unless one happens to encounter the occasional uninformed sucker :)

1,500 mintage of interchanegeable coins still distinguishable from all of the others in 2017...not a total loss but certainly not as rare as they were.

Makes the 5 proof sov and the 5 sov bu etc I have look the most rare for the year ;)

11 hours ago, Oldun said:

1,500 mintage of interchanegeable coins still distinguishable from all of the others in 2017...not a total loss but certainly not as rare as they were.

Makes the 5 proof sov and the 5 sov bu etc I have look the most rare for the year ;)

That's true - the £5 BU was 1000 issued and the £5 Proof was 950 making the Five Coin Set the best buy of them all if you wanted the coin with the lowest mintage.

Interestingly for 2018 there are only 850 £5 Proof coins minted and the only "65" with a different mint/ privy mark.

You have to take your hat off to RM for the effort they put into marketing these sets - I just wish I could justify the price!

...... and back on topic!

My vote is the 2018 for the overall package for £450 (you might have to work hard to get one of good quality, though).

The 2017 "plain" Proof Sovereign with 1000 mintage will not be far behind as there are only 1,000 but it is a confusing offering which may hold it back.  I don't think the designation of "Platinum" or "Jubilee"  will be relevant in the future it till just be a 2017 BU Sovereign (IMO).

45 minutes ago, Goldmick said:

See that the half sovereign is £250. With a mintage of 2500 individual coins might be a good buy 

2500 sold as singles, 5100 in total including sets 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Yer true. I'm thinking about which one to buy but don't have any Half's I only like the full sovereign ? would love to get the piedford 2017 sovereign so need to save up a bit or splash out on the 2018 one 

Archived