• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Best place to order 10 oz silver bars?

I just started doing research into precious metals about a week ago. 

I'm going more with an investment in 10 oz silver bars. I plan on ordering 1-3 a month. 

Anyone know of good sites to buy from? Mostly looking for reputable sites that are trusted. Nothing like Ebay where I could get scammed. 

I'm looking for the general ones that are cheaper and nothing fancy. 

£235.00 for a 10 oz bar. That's $310 in the US. 

I have sites in the U.S. ranging from $180 to $190 per ounce. 

Unless I'm not getting something. Why is that so expensive? 

http://backyardbullion.com/product/10-oz-giant-ripple-bar-pour-210-999-hand-poured-silver/ £235.00 - $310 

https://www.jmbullion.com/10-oz-silver-bar/ $181

Is there a difference I'm not realizing? 

This is also what I'm looking for is a nice clean bar, but the lower end ones. 

7 minutes ago, Thelonerangershorse said:

arshimo2012

has some very nice 100g Umicore bars for sale at the moment.

I'm staying away from private sellers as I'm new. 

You can not compare US market with UK market. Complete different tax levels.

edit.

So for you it is better to buy from the big ones in the US. I have even seen many of the offer free shipping within the US, so that makes it even cheaper.

12 minutes ago, seXes said:

You can not compare US market with UK market. Complete different tax levels.

edit.

So for you it is better to buy from the big ones in the US. I have even seen many of the offer free shipping within the US, so that makes it even cheaper.

I kind of figured that, but I don't know silver well enough to know if that was the case here in case I missed something there. 

Thanks for the information on this. Those are some high taxes for it to be $130 or so more. 

1 hour ago, E23 said:

I just started doing research into precious metals about a week ago. 

I'm going more with an investment in 10 oz silver bars. I plan on ordering 1-3 a month. 

Anyone know of good sites to buy from? Mostly looking for reputable sites that are trusted. Nothing like Ebay where I could get scammed. 

I'm looking for the general ones that are cheaper and nothing fancy. 

I use APMEX for purchases like this, being in the US.  The have a very large inventory of bars, and will give you free shipping if your order is at least $100.  Also, last year they had some attractive black Friday deals, including silver bars at spot for a few hours.

That said, I'm also a huge Backyard Bullion fan and have plenty of his bars.  It's not appropriate to compare his bars with bulk silver, which is what you were getting for $181 at jmbullion. BYB bars will be more expensive than bulk issued bullion, and similar to a proof coin not appropriate if you are stacking purely for weight, but to me they are worth it!

I'll have to check out APMEX on black friday. 

Are his bars more expensive due to being custom or something? Does that factor into the price kind of like coins? 

You asked for the "best place" and I would recommend @arshimo2012 on this site as worth checking as his prices are tough to beat.
As for your concern about buying privately I have already bought more gold and silver from @arshimo2012 than your planned annual total so nil risk in my opinion.

I have also recently purchased some 10 oz coins from other sellers on this site at very good prices and had 100% satisfaction and super-fast service.
If you stick to sellers with 100% feedback you are pretty safe.

Why not give the forum first refusal ?

Of course there is a premium added to the silver for the work he put down.

But silver cost more over here, even if you would compare a standard 10 oz bar from the same manufacturer.

British and Swedes buy a lot of silver from Germany Estonia, where the taxation makes them cheaper. We would buy more from US, Australia if the risk for getting caught in custom (Vat, import fess etc..) was slighter.

6 minutes ago, E23 said:

Are his bars more expensive due to being custom or something? Does that factor into the price kind of like coins? 

APMEX is in the USA so you will face a hefty shipping charge PLUS 20% VAT PLUS FedEx deferment fee and once everything has been added together you might be disappointed in your buy. If you buy 10oz silver coins from our well known sources in Europe there is negligible VAT so per ounce works out much cheaper.

Just now, Pete said:

APMEX is in the USA so you will face a hefty shipping charge PLUS 20% VAT PLUS FedEx deferment fee and once everything has been added together you might be disappointed in your buy.

But he lives in the US

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

You asked for the "best place" and I would recommend @arshimo2012 on this site as worth checking as his prices are tough to beat.
As for your concern about buying privately I have already bought more gold and silver from @arshimo2012 than your planned annual total so nil risk in my opinion.

I have also recently purchased some 10 oz coins from other sellers on this site at very good prices and had 100% satisfaction and super-fast service.
If you stick to sellers with 100% feedback you are pretty safe.

Why not give the forum first refusal ?

That's my mistake. I meant online and no private sellers. Forgot to put that in there. I just prefer to learn about the private seller world before I get into it. 

I live in the US.

I don't know if APMEX will do the same this year, but if you create an account they will you email any deals.  Since you are based in the US, if you are simply trying to accumulate the most silver, for the least cost including postage, it is going to be very difficult to beat some of the big dealers like APMEX, JM Bullion, SDBullion etc.

I would second what Pete said...I've bought plenty from the forum and have yet to be disappointed, but you will need to find a tremendous deal to make up for the shipping cost if you are just looking for low cost silver.  Everything I've purchased from the forum has been has been either proof coins or BYB items, but there are very good deals here and very reputable sellers.

Yes, the BYB bars are custom and handmade.  Each bar has a unique ripple finish, or a mirror finish.  But either way your paying for his time and skill (and supporting a small and growing business!) so I contend they are more like "proof" bars vs. generic bullion.

I'm starting out very simple. Just want to have silver that fluctuates around the market without the hassle of figuring out what a coin costs if the market prices increase or decrease. 

I'm just kind of picky when it comes to buying from private sellers. It's just who I am. I want to know the basics at least before I get into that world. 

42 minutes ago, E23 said:

My bars are at a premium because they are indeed hand made and hand crafted. They are not an easy thing to make at all. 

They also come with a hallmark - which is an assay testing mark that proves that the purity is 999 and that is a great piece of value to add. 

If you want some just let me know. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

4 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

My bars are at a premium because they are indeed hand made and hand crafted. They are not an easy thing to make at all. 

They also come with a hallmark - which is an assay testing mark that proves that the purity is 999 and that is a great piece of value to add. 

If you want some just let me know. 

That makes sense. I'm looking to invest in silver right now with nothing added meaning no custom works like coins or your bars. 

I appreciate the offer. Maybe in the future I will expand out to custom works such as coins or your bars. 

7 hours ago, E23 said:

I'm staying away from private sellers as I'm new.

I assume you've joined this forum to learn. So learn, there are private sellers and private sellers;)

As you're in the US, buying from most private sellers on this forum will pose a few problems, I accept.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

SD Bullion has a deal for a 10 oz bar for spot, but you need their coupon code which pops up when you sign up on their site. It comes out to $176 and change shipped after coupon. Also JM Bullion has 10 oz bars on sale  on their ebay site for $179.10. I'm also new at buying silver, but I have not settled on what type of silver I'll buy. So far I've been buying what I like. Sometimes I get things for a good deal, and sometimes like the poured silver that I love, I get it knowingly and surely because I love it so much even though they carry a bit of a higher premium.

15 hours ago, flim said:

for the coupon thing?

does it only work for certain products only and not all

I'm not sure myself. If you sit on the site long enough it pops up. If you want to know you might want to go to the site and let it sit in a different tab while you do something else. 

On 08/11/2017 at 15:42, seXes said:

But he lives in the US

Wish I knew that before wasting my time ( and that of others by the look of it) trying to be helpful . :(

Archived