• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

finger prints

wilky1

Numistacker suggested to me, for gold coins, i try neat fairy liquid and massage the coin with bare fingers. i have also done this on some older, bit knackered silver BU coins as well. They looked better afterwards but i have no experience with silver proofs and did not use a loupe before and after.

You could invest in a loupe magnifier so you could assess the coin's surface - then try it out on a BU coin that would not matter - it does not matter if there are no fingerprints, the question is whether of not using Fairy Liquid and gently rubbing the coin's surface damages it all all. 

i have then rinsed the coin is hot water, ideally this would be pure water with no mineral content, then shaken the coin hard for excess water to come off and finally allowed it to air dry or placed it on an absorbent cloth but never rubbed it with the cloth.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

If the fingerprint is relatively new ( say under one year old ) it can be removed with care but if it is older it may have damaged/ etched the surface and whilst it can be removed it will leave a slight blemish that can be spotted when viewed at grazing angles of incidence under good light. How this looks also depends on where it is and if in the middle of a highly polished field.

My method is to use a cotton bud dipped in acetone and keeping the bud wet simply roll it ( by twisting ) on the spot very gently.
The acetone evaporates extremely quickly so try and keep the area you are cleaning wet with acetone.
Avoid pressure and just let the weight of the saturated cotton bud do its work.

Rinse the coin in hand hot water with washing up liquid, use another cotton bud like before over the affected area whilst the coin remains wet, rinse in hand-hot clean water then immediately pat dry with absorbent paper like kitchen roll.
Do not rub just press down and move the coin several times onto dry parts of the paper to get all the water off the surface.
I have never had to rinse in distilled water as by doing this you avoid droplets than can leave small ring marks.

Inspect the coin at various angles and if the mark hasn't been fully removed repeat the process.

Good luck and hope you are successful but you may find a blemish but at least you should not have added fine scratch lines using this method.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

If the fingerprint is relatively new ( say under one year old ) it can be removed with care but if it is older it may have damaged/ etched the surface and whilst it can be removed it will leave a slight blemish that can be spotted when viewed at grazing angles of incidence under good light. How this looks also depends on where it is and if in the middle of a highly polished field.

My method is to use a cotton bud dipped in acetone and keeping the bud wet simply roll it ( by twisting ) on the spot very gently.
The acetone evaporates extremely quickly so try and keep the area you are cleaning wet with acetone.
Avoid pressure and just let the weight of the saturated cotton bud do its work.

Rinse the coin in hand hot water with washing up liquid, use another cotton bud like before over the affected area whilst the coin remains wet, rinse in hand-hot clean water then immediately pat dry with absorbent paper like kitchen roll.
Do not rub just press down and move the coin several times onto dry parts of the paper to get all the water off the surface.
I have never had to rinse in distilled water as by doing this you avoid droplets than can leave small ring marks.

Inspect the coin at various angles and if the mark hasn't been fully removed repeat the process.

Good luck and hope you are successful but you may find a blemish but at least you should not have added fine scratch lines using this method.

Also consider a hair dryer to remove the water to minimise contact with the coin.  Also remember if you do make a mistake then there is no way back.  Not easy!

Hi,

Thank you for the replys, it is a 1 Kilo sydney Olympic 30 dollar coin that was at auction described as FDC  I paid very little for it but am still really peed off as it is not as per the catalog. The reverse is just as bad.

It is to me just a lump of silver thats nice to look at when it should have been a joy to look at.

Wilky

DSC_7392.jpg

DSC_7393.jpg

DSC_7394-2.jpg

DSC_7394.jpg

DSC_7396.jpg

DSC_7397.jpg

DSC_7398.jpg

3 minutes ago, wilky1 said:

£1699.95 at the London Coin Company....lol

so £30 :P lol

If it's an expensive coin though I would probably pay to have it "restored" professionally https://www.ngccoin.com/ncs-conservation/

@Numistacker would be the man to talk about that 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

so £30 [emoji14] lol
If it's an expensive coin though I would probably pay to have it "restored" professionally [mention=378]Numistacker[/mention] would be the man to talk about that 
+1 maybe worth a try. I had a 2017 Sovereign I bought blind at an auction & it was covered with prints. Numi sent it away & came back perfect even came back as a PF70 :)

3 minutes ago, Kman said:

so £30 :P lol

If it's an expensive coin though I would probably pay to have it "restored" professionally https://www.ngccoin.com/ncs-conservation/

@Numistacker would be the man to talk about that 

I will have to have a chat with him and just see how viable it is as the coin has a lot of rim scratchs

1 minute ago, wilky1 said:

I will have to have a chat with him and just see how viable it is as the coin has a lot of rim scratchs

oh, maybe you should post pics?

I think id have been more concerned with the scratches than finger prints :P 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Archived