• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 proof Sovereign - 65th coronation "crown privy"

sovereignsteve

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, ChardLizzie said:

Four coin is new for this year, we weren't offered this one. Our first allocation  of the other coins and sets are selling fast, looks like it's going to be popular with regular collectors.

That’s nice to know. I personally had a bit too much of it this year, but it is my favourite coin, so I’m happy for it to continue doing well ?

2 hours ago, westminstrel said:

I’m kind of bored of the Sovereign after the overkill that was the 2017 range.

Maybe a little off topic, is there anywhere with a list/pictures of the 2017 variations?  I keep reading of variations but only see a standard Sov and Proof.

Agreed a bit of an anti climax after this years design. The most interesting thing to me is that it looks like the 5 sovereign piece has the name of Pistrucci and the crown to the right hand side of the date. Not sure if I will buy this year.

Just now, Oldun said:

@ChardLizzie

on a scale of 1-10 (10 being this year’s 1817 sov design), where would you say it ranks in terms of ‘popular’ and ‘fast’?

Design - interesting privy mark. Depending on her reign, there may not be many more special occasions for them to celebrate, although if we're being cynical there may be one for her demise when this happens. Until we physically see the coins we won't be able to say much about the quality of the striking. Design wise 5 
Our first allocation is selling fast - we're hoping to get a second allocation but won't know until the initial furore from the release has died down. Looking at this morning I'd say not as crazy as 2017 - but there will be the lunchtime/after work email openings - probably 8.
Waaah, this may all change B) lots of live chatting on the website

Thank you for replying. Most kind. I suppose we wont see a British monarch last 65 years again for a very very long time, hence the ‘8’ you mention. If you add speculative buyers to the ‘regular buyers’ you mentioned, an ‘8’ makes perfect sense.

This is the sort of buy you do for your grandchildren......they will love you for it long after you are gone and beyond or if you are just a good old fashioned collector....it will be fascinating to see how this does in the flipping stage of the timeline to come......

people hesitated on the 2017 proof........then it took a few days for it to go nuts.....

1 hour ago, ChardLizzie said:

Four coin is new for this year, we weren't offered this one. Our first allocation  of the other coins and sets are selling fast, looks like it's going to be popular with regular collectors.

because callum sent email day time, liz night time which is a bit late so callum is the winner :D

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

29 minutes ago, Martlet said:

Maybe a little off topic, is there anywhere with a list/pictures of the 2017 variations?  I keep reading of variations but only see a standard Sov and Proof.

The variations were as follows:

1. Proof Sovereign with the 1817 garter design

2. Bullion Sovereign with the “regular” St. George design WITH the 200th anniversary shield privy

3. Brilliant Uncirculated “Strike on the Day” Sovereign with the 1817 garter design AND plain edge (the other coins all have a reeded edge)

4. Piedfort Sovereign with the 1817 garter design AND double thickness (hence the term “piedfort”); also reeded edge.

Personally, I am in for the premium 3 coin set to continue the unusual double and single proofs I have from this year and 1989. 

Almost an ounce for a 50% premium and a special occasion.....unlikely to happen again.....I can run with that for my collection.

35 minutes ago, Martlet said:

http://www.royalmint.com/shop/s/sv17a

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, Oldun said:

people hesitated on the 2017 proof........then it took a few days for it to go nuts.....

Really? I seem to remember it was a goer from the start, but I stand to be corrected;)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Really? I seem to remember it was a goer from the start, but I stand to be corrected;)

u wrong, odun is right , that's why so many people missed out :ph34r: 

Oh generally agreed but there was definitely a few days where a ton of hesitant buyers suddenly decided to pile in after escewing with the 2017.

A celebratory mint mark features on all coins in The Sovereign 2018 Collection

peaks my interest.......is it just the proofs it refers to or ALL the sovereigns including bus and the now inevitable (I assume) sotd ?

Just now, Oldun said:

Oh generally agreed but there was definitely a few days where a ton of hesitant buyers suddenly decided to pile in after escewing with the 2017.

A celebratory mint mark features on all coins in The Sovereign 2018 Collection

peaks my interest.......is it just the proofs it refers to or ALL the sovereigns including bus and the now inevitable (I assume) sotd ?

u were different , in my memory u bought a set as well and said  " must be a winner " since first hour on sale 

2 hours ago, ChardLizzie said:

I'm curious @ChardLizzie

From your own personal experience of ?how many? years at Chards or asking your colleagues, how well do "normal" proof releases sell compared to this and last year's?

Personally I think this will be a miss and we'll be picking them up in years to come at the same price as most other proof sovereigns ie less than 20 - 25% premium

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived