• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Should I collect gold coins?

Nice video with a great quote - "My weakness with money and my need to spend led me to a hobby where I could spend without spending." A top quote which I am sure applies to many of us.

I am certainly going down the gold route rather than silver due to space required (unfortunately my wife has now found the silver collection  - although she loves the cute little animals on them ... grrrrr) and tarnishing of my collection.

Currently stacking 10oz Unas and Britannia bars 

recently I'm slowly coming to the idea that gold is investment,

silver is speculation. silver might make you more money but

there is more work involved. 

gold 5 year low £695/oz, current price £971/oz, 39.7% rise

silver 5 year low £9/oz, current price 12.88/oz, 43.1% rise

does silver need more than 2 years of rising pm prices to get

the increase in gains that people are hoping for versus gold?

HH

15 minutes ago, HawkHybrid said:

recently I'm slowly coming to the idea that gold is investment,

silver is speculation. silver might make you more money but

there is more work involved. 

gold 5 year low £695/oz, current price £971/oz, 39.7% rise

silver 5 year low £9/oz, current price 12.88/oz, 43.1% rise

does silver need more than 2 years of rising pm prices to get

the increase in gains that people are hoping for versus gold?

HH

If you look at the gold silver ratio then silver is grossly undervalued - if you believe gold is safer to hold.
Potential gains on silver are therefore very interesting, but when will the feeding frenzy begin and can we ever return to £30 per ounce like the good old days ?

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

If you look at the gold silver ratio then silver is grossly undervalued - if you believe gold is safer to hold.
Potential gains on silver are therefore very interesting, but when will the feeding frenzy begin and can we ever return to £30 per ounce like the good old days ?

I like the sound of the good old days :lol:. Before my stacking began but hopefully itll go there again 1 day .

I run with both. Some of this and some of that. I look at it just from the metal perspective of insurance rather then investment and making money. If I need it its there and if not it' not lost  :)

6 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

I have around 10 1oz coins left I bought for £35 each in 2011....... 50% of which are now spotted

'Good old days!' my arse! :lol:

£350 in 2011; with inflation, probably about £400 today, only £250ish loss ?.  You seem to have the same investment strategy as me: Buy High Sell Low ?

4 minutes ago, reidpj said:

£350 in 2011; with inflation, probably about £400 today, only £250ish loss ?.  You seem to have the same investment strategy as me: Buy High Sell Low ?

Seems like it.

I managed to get rid of a few 2011-12 purchases when Ebay did a double your sale deal a few times - managed to get back what I paid.

I guess I should just get rid to fund other items but can't bring myself to sell at a loss yet! I think the fall in price from 2011 was part of my switch to Numismatics/gold

8 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

Seems like it.

I managed to get rid of a few 2011-12 purchases when Ebay did a double your sale deal a few times - managed to get back what I paid.

I guess I should just get rid to fund other items but can't bring myself to sell at a loss yet! I think the fall in price from 2011 was part of my switch to Numismatics/gold

Just get rid... Take the money and put it into something that you'll enjoy owning.  I'm no expert but you've, probably, got as much chance of gold doubling as you have of silver.

3 hours ago, Pete said:

the reason why I say gold is investment is that gold will

stay the same as when I last left it. it is investment

worthy because it can be relied upon to not reduce it's

value through no fault of my own. eg milk spotting,

tarnishing etc. being undervalued does not make silver

investment worthy. is speculating on silver similar to

speculating on flipping coins? does the fact that there

is a recognised random feeding frenzy make it like

speculating on something that's in a bubble? does the

need to time your entry and exit points more precisely

make it resemble an investment or speculation?

HH

Silver is rightly known as the devil’s metal as it can destroy you in a heartbeat. Then again, when it does run, it is devilishly wild.

In terms of physical, silver for barter, gold for storage of wealth, is as old a reality as the metals themselves.

Silver has been mean to me, though I have to say when the recent bottom was made there was no silver to be bought below £10.80 plus postage and I bought as much as I could get and that was not much most silver was in the higher £11 lower £12 for cheap bullion with bad sentiment everywhere it was only the brave who stuck around the forum!! That's why a long term view must be taken with pm investment. 

Archived