• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help with Valuation - British Crowns

ilovesilverireallydo

On eBay you might be surprised what they go for, I have sold many in similar condition that did much better than I thought they would. The Victoria one in particular. The counter stamp doesn't help the value though, it is treated as a blemish unless significant in some way historically, which I don't think this example is. 

38 minutes ago, KDave said:

On eBay you might be surprised what they go for, I have sold many in similar condition that did much better than I thought they would. The Victoria one in particular. The counter stamp doesn't help the value though, it is treated as a blemish unless significant in some way historically, which I don't think this example is. 

Yeah I thought as much re the counterstamp. I reckon if I had fond the company that had done it, then it would add value, but am stumped. .

I was hoping that the Victoria one would do well on eBay, but hesitant to put it on in case it just sells for scrap.. 

59 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

These are scrap value only unfortunately 

I would buy these all day long if I could get them at scrap value :)

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

6 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Numismatic collectors wouldn't buy them at all, grade is the most important part of a coin, so, still scrap value in that respect as they would be regarded as numismatic coins.

Not disputing you at all bud - to me they still seem scrap - but I have seen worse examples go for much more money on eBay - and struggle to get any at scrap or slightly more. Which is why I said i would gladly buy any I can get at scrap value... 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Look they are not the best examples but I am not sure why there is a distinction being made with the 'numismatic' label to call them scrap. There are plenty of collectors who buy these for well over scrap value, I have sold a fair few like this. Check eBay sold prices.

They are good coins to have in the early stages of the numismatic journey, when you're glad just to own older and rarer coins and may not want or afford to buy better examples.

In my experience, when you see their shortcomings and cast your eyes on top class examples, you soon lose interest in these and have to acquire top grade coins.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

35 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

They are good coins to have in the early stages of the numismatic journey, when you're glad just to own older and rarer coins and may not want or afford to buy better examples.

In my experience, when you see their shortcomings and cast your eyes on top class examples, you soon lose interest in these and have to acquire top grade coins.

Im not sure I agree with that. 

if I can get in and out the market and make money then I will acquire any grade, saying that do I aspire for the top coins in my collection yes spot on. 

I would list them on ebay as collectable pre 1920's sterling silver British crowns in F condition. Not saying I am right but that label would sell them, I assume to collectors. Not sure why you have to label them as 'numismatic' scrap it's just plain wrong to class them as something to be melted down. 

I rarely see a sterling crown go for less than £16 delivered on eBay these days, and I've been watching their listings for a couple months.

Occasionally you'll get one in a lot, along with shillings, florins etc., sitting on scales. Those can go for spot scrap value or less if you're lucky / combine postage.

If anyone is selling worn sterling crowns of any era at scrap, send me a message and take my money! :D  (Or any other medium/large sterling coins)

11 hours ago, Jay2 said:

I rarely see a sterling crown go for less than £16 delivered on eBay these days, and I've been watching their listings for a couple months.

Occasionally you'll get one in a lot, along with shillings, florins etc., sitting on scales. Those can go for spot scrap value or less if you're lucky / combine postage.

If anyone is selling worn sterling crowns of any era at scrap, send me a message and take my money! :D  (Or any other medium/large sterling coins)

Me too! I have a guy that does them at 55 pence a gram. But buying at spot on sterling would be very happy. I like these old coins 

A lot of collectors are right old snobs sometimes ( I include myself in that bracket ) - what we fail to understand is there are collectors of all types and some with less funds in their pockets to buy. Someone might like a low grade crown because its all they can afford for a particular year.

I wouldn't sell either of these for less than £20, which is way over spot. Add me to the list of those willing to pick up sterling crowns at spot please!!

9 minutes ago, metallica73 said:

I wouldn't sell either of these for less than £20, which is way over spot. Add me to the list of those willing to pick up sterling crowns at spot please!!

To be fair I would happily trade these for 2.5 oz of pure silver of any kind..

might have to put them on eBay 

Archived