• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Bow to the next, newest Egyptian God...Sobek!

Jester

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, silverking1 said:

Hi guys

www.preciousgoldandsilver.co.uk have now got the sobek rounds up for PRE-ORDER.

great service from this website, handy if you are in the uk.

Some of the items it’s says USA only but it isn’t :D

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

• 2 months later...

Eventually got my Sobek's today, so thought i'd find this thread again. Pictures of the Sobek below and glad to see the change of mint has not affected the quality of these rounds. Considering also these are rounds, supplied loose in flips, AND have high relief sections - i swear i could not find a single blemish, scratch, smudge, nick, dent, ding anywhere, and i went looking for any! Well up to standard of the Cleo & Anubis. Congrats to Provident.

But really i wanted to talk more about the capsule options. And why i have changed capsule choice for any 40mm 2oz pieces in the future. Capsule pictures below too.

Up to now i've been buying a regular capsule for the 2oz type high relief 40mm rounds. The 2oz capsule Provident themselves sell separately. Always found them not quite up to standard. I mean, they were ok, did the job. But the amount of rattle when the rounds are inside was a bit severe. Then i recently found another drawback, which is i cannot re-open the capsules once sealed. I wanted to open one of the Cleo's up after i spotted some dirt on the inside face of the capsule. Nothing i tried could budge it or even get the tiniest gap in the capsule started. Those things are sealed for good. Maybe others have found it easier, but i've given up.

I figured it is due to the very tall inside wall of the capsule. That is, the part of the bottom half of the capsule that slides into the top half. This being so high doesn't allow even the tiniest bit of movement to begin separating the two halves. A picture below showing these wall heights in red.

So i looked around and settled for a larger diameter capsule with a black inner ring supplied. It is made with a smaller inner wall height on one half of the capsule. These i can now open no problem. Also having the foam ring secures the round. No more rattle. They are perfect. Made by Airtite, and in fact ended up paying less than the cost of the older capsules.

The one small drawback is they don't fit into the standard cut-outs in the storage trays i use. The trays come with 20 cut-out recesses for capsules of 45mm dia. (the standard for nearly all makes of 1oz capsules and the old 2oz ones), whereas these new capsules are 53mm dia. But i don't mind that trade-off, rather have a better capsule. They even look smarter with the rings, i think.

a.thumb.JPG.c1e64e5d6d3c9a2d2b3da02a8c86d545.JPG

b.thumb.JPG.7e83442fc39810f0b8021d1e6a70e22d.JPG

c.thumb.JPG.4c60349727b3a962a6d45dbfdcadf7ac.JPG

e.thumb.JPG.5fbb7297b7c91c255395ecb34be72397.JPG

d.thumb.JPG.8dd864ea316db0a11f0e56777e2f4176.JPG

f.thumb.JPG.e77f8e3a6bb9f900c6d650e4bcc83613.JPG

• 1 year later...
5 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

Any 2019 release on these coins ?

not heard of anything. wouldn't be surprised if this series hit the dust; i think they changed mints for the last issue and there doesn't seem to be any enthusiasm coming from them now.

Added 0 minutes later...
On 13/03/2018 at 00:58, swAgger said:

Big shout-out to @Scuzzle by the way, for planting the idea of those Airtite capsules with the inserts. I have always only gone for direct fits before, and probably would never have gone looking for these. They're the business!

I have seen lots of silver coins develop toning around the edge when placed in these foam insert caps.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

55 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

not heard of anything. wouldn't be surprised if this series hit the dust; i think they changed mints for the last issue and there doesn't seem to be any enthusiasm coming from them now.

Added 0 minutes later...

I have seen lots of silver coins develop toning around the edge when placed in these foam insert caps.

Good Afternoon Gents...back from the grave.  I think Steve is correct.  Like so many modern rounds and coins, this was the flavor of the month for a brief period of time and then it wasn't.  There was one more release after Sobek and that was Khnum, the ram-headed god of the Nile River.  That was a little over a year ago.  I checked on Provident's page this morning and a collector left a comment in April asking if they planned to release additional rounds but no response from the dealer.

Archived