• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

eBay Warning!!

Sovereign

5 minutes ago, Sovereign said:

talking about sovereign.. weight , diameter...

most of fake sovs just by looking at them ;) 

Thanks! :D

4 minutes ago, Sovsaver said:

Accurately weight it, then check dimensions. If the weight and dimension are accurate for the particular coin it should be gold. If you have a pmi machine it’s even easier.

Cheers! PMI machine sounds and 'pricey', where do I get one if I want one?

19 hours ago, AlphaBeast said:

Thanks! :D

Cheers! PMI machine sounds and 'pricey', where do I get one if I want one?

They are pricey, best stick with weight and diameter/thickness. If they are correct for the type of coin you can be quite certain it’s gold because nothing else really has the same density. Steel is more than twice as light for example.

2 hours ago, mrbritish1976 said:

are the sovereign balance scales worth an investment ?

you mean the old ones from the 19th century?

nice as an interesting historical item but not as accurate as a modern balance.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

50 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

you mean the old ones from the 19th century?

nice as an interesting historical item but not as accurate as a modern balance.

yes there the ones  obviously not as good as digital scales 

but do these not also confirm correct size ?

although digital calipers are more accurate (my next purchase )

I once bought a half sov 1909 - right weight, size etc. But something about the colour bugged me a bit - I dont know why. So took it to another jeweller and had them run XRF - turned out to be 9 karat. Took it back - guy gave me my money back - and agreed to sell it to me for 9K scrap price (I asked cause would be interesting to own one!). 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

3 hours ago, mrbritish1976 said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F253214137962

Not sure what quality will be like but have heard even the cheap ones are very accurate.

went for the stainless ones

Ah, good old cheapo.  I use calipers for work so got a mitutoyo. Great one

On 03/11/2017 at 23:39, ilovesilverireallydo said:

I once bought a half sov 1909 - right weight, size etc. But something about the colour bugged me a bit - I dont know why. So took it to another jeweller and had them run XRF - turned out to be 9 karat. Took it back - guy gave me my money back - and agreed to sell it to me for 9K scrap price (I asked cause would be interesting to own one!). 

Cannot be correct - either the weight was low and / or the thickness too high.  Measuring accurate weight is easy but thickness is trickier and it pays to compare against a known genuine coin. I spotted a fake sovereign / jeweller's copy ( purchased from one of our popular dealers ) and from its measurements calculated that it was 18ct ( later confirmed when I returned it ) so 9ct would be easy to spot.

46 minutes ago, Pete said:

Cannot be correct - either the weight was low and / or the thickness too high.  Measuring accurate weight is easy but thickness is trickier and it pays to compare against a known genuine coin. I spotted a fake sovereign / jeweller's copy ( purchased from one of our popular dealers ) and from its measurements calculated that it was 18ct ( later confirmed when I returned it ) so 9ct would be easy to spot.

I should have clarified, when I said weight and measurements, this was done arbitrarily by the shop. 

In complete checking the coin, three things stood out:

1. Colour - I had three genuine half sovs next to the fake, I just didn't like the colour.

2. Weight - 4.1 grams on my scale so 0.1 gram over most mine.

3. Thickness. At a cursory glance it looks ok, but close look shows it's marginally thicker. 

Remember, I am no pro,so if the colour hadn't thrown me, I wouldn't have questioned it. I would say this is good enough a forgery to fool a bunch of jewellery shops that don't use an xrf or sigma.

Spot the fake, pics loaded.

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1732.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1734.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Archived