• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Starting a stack

Tomato

50 minutes ago, Albird87 said:

I’ve noticed that STG has a delivery charge of about £16, which kind of wipes out the VAT saving if only buying say 5 coins at a time. So do you tend to avoid buying smaller quantities and just wait until you have the cash to buy a full tube? 

This was my thoughts as I only planned to stack around £150 per month

so my decision was to look at bullion price.

If gold was OK buy a half sovereign

if silver was low buy either as close to spot as possible or go for lunar or panda

if price was bad,  leave it in the bank until next month then go for a full sovereign or a larger stg order to accommodate VAT saving vs shipping.

May be the wrong way but on a budget

seemed the right way,  unless I start working Saturday's then it's a whole other ball game

Hi and welcome,

Right Tomato you must ask yourself what is your end goal?  I also think shadowstack is good to watch because he verbalises very well and talks about Foundation which is his way of taking bullion for long long term he really is one of 3 that I would recommend.  Shadowstack also talks about flipping coins but for you now I don't think you have enough knowledge!  The other 2 I would recommend for you to watch would be Cull silver only his gold silver vlogs and belangp.  For entertainment I recommend morezone (has one of everything), numistacker( very good for proof and graded coins ), byb((follow him on his journey of poured silver and he does not have any weapons' joking' ) and cybercurtaintwitcher.

If you want to buy silver ask byb if you can join the order from goldsilver.be  I would recommend British coins if you live in the UK, it's up to you though imo you should stick to government issue bullion grade coins until you know what you are doing even then you may want to stick to that strategy.  If you want to buy gold sovereigns bullion grade buy as close to spot you can get as these will be the most liquid in the UK. 

I would not buy every month or I would join the group order. 

Even buying a half sovereign every month is expensive with the postage if you ordered 4 times a year instead of 12 for gold  this is 1 1/2 toz gold over 30 years and you could buy sovereigns instead these are sold back at a slight premium!!

If you could go to £170 per month and buy 2 times a year on the dips you could buy 8 sovereigns a year and if you save for 30 years that's  240 sovereigns now I call that a tidy sum. 

5 hours ago, Albird87 said:

I’ve noticed that STG has a delivery charge of about £16, which kind of wipes out the VAT saving if only buying say 5 coins at a time. So do you tend to avoid buying smaller quantities and just wait until you have the cash to buy a full tube? 

Try goldsilver.be

They have a vaulting system where you only pay post on you're 1st order, you then vault the rest until you want to have then delivered. Not sure how long you can hold for but its pretty useful.

8 hours ago, Albird87 said:

Hi,

Yes that’s what I did but I was saving quite a lot each month and making one big purchase monthly. 

Nothing wrong with 2nd hand coins or even one wil milk spots as forum members often sell these at a discount so worth being a Premium Member so you can jump on deals as and when they arise and when you have the funds to make the purchase. 

Hope that helped?

MS  

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

2 hours ago, Bullionbilly said:

Try goldsilver.be

They have a vaulting system where you only pay post on you're 1st order, you then vault the rest until you want to have then delivered. Not sure how long you can hold for but its pretty useful.

That sounds good and you can just take delivery when it’s economical to do so. Great idea. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

13 hours ago, Albird87 said:

I would consider buy as part of the group buy. there are

advantages including getting to know at least one other

member in trades better. eg paying promptly consistently

will help your reputation should you want to sell on the

forum at some point. also group buys are sometimes

timed for buying during more favourable times in the year.

no one has a working crystal ball but experience from data

analysis will tell people that buying pre xmas is likely to be

more favourable than buying in the early months of the new

year.

HH

Welcome to the forum.

As others have said, perhaps aim for gold initially. Buy a half sovereign. See if you like it. Gold has the added benefit of being easier to sell close to if not more than what you paid for it. With silver there is always the issue of vat if you buy from the UK, or delivery if buying from abroad. That being said, i started with 1 silver 1oz coin and my "hobby" (bloody expensive one) grew from that.

Now i only buy silver bars, and really only 1kg ones. I might buy the odd 100g bar but thats it. The thing that really drove me away from silver coins were the issues with toning/milkspots/badly made proofs (looking at you Royal Mint). I didnt want to worry about if my silver coin proofs were losing money just because they were badly made at the mint or that i stored them incorrectly!

With bars it helps as i dont give a stuff if its toned, spotted whatever, and when you come to sell them many people wont care either. Also i can hold them and pretend i am an international crime boss mwuhahaha.

Gold bullion coins on the other hand are great as again, with most of them you are just paying for the gold, and not a hyped up design. they are liquid and easy to see and you can get them with low premiums over spot.

Ignore "CGT FREE!" signs on websites. Unless you have a shitload to spend, CGT will probably never become an issue. And even if it does...well....there are ways....

So my advice with your budget would be to get either a sov/half sov or a silver bar. Look out for "coin bars" which are silver bars that have a nominal currency value which helps to give them a lower vat rate when buying from abroad.

My 2c.

1 hour ago, lightjaw said:

Welcome to the forum.

As others have said, perhaps aim for gold initially. Buy a half sovereign. See if you like it. Gold has the added benefit of being easier to sell close to if not more than what you paid for it. With silver there is always the issue of vat if you buy from the UK, or delivery if buying from abroad. That being said, i started with 1 silver 1oz coin and my "hobby" (bloody expensive one) grew from that.

Now i only buy silver bars, and really only 1kg ones. I might buy the odd 100g bar but thats it. The thing that really drove me away from silver coins were the issues with toning/milkspots/badly made proofs (looking at you Royal Mint). I didnt want to worry about if my silver coin proofs were losing money just because they were badly made at the mint or that i stored them incorrectly!

With bars it helps as i dont give a stuff if its toned, spotted whatever, and when you come to sell them many people wont care either. Also i can hold them and pretend i am an international crime boss mwuhahaha.

Gold bullion coins on the other hand are great as again, with most of them you are just paying for the gold, and not a hyped up design. they are liquid and easy to see and you can get them with low premiums over spot.

Ignore "CGT FREE!" signs on websites. Unless you have a shitload to spend, CGT will probably never become an issue. And even if it does...well....there are ways....

So my advice with your budget would be to get either a sov/half sov or a silver bar. Look out for "coin bars" which are silver bars that have a nominal currency value which helps to give them a lower vat rate when buying from abroad.

My 2c.

Thanks for this info. After doing further reading I am swaying towards gold coins and silver bars. It seems as though it’s a better price per ounce for the silver bars over the coins. The only thing I’m unsure of with the gold coins is whether the Britannia or the Sovereign is the better choice. 

Can't go wrong with sovereigns or Britannias. If you find you want to change direction after dipping your toe in, as said before they are easily sold with little lost unless spot price drops! In such a case you would still be able to purchase an equivalent weight of new choice of bullion. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

My advice would be to learn as much as you can first about everything before buying

I think most people when they start stacking end up  not liking what they originally got and swapping it out

There's a link in my signature to a lot of interesting forum discussions about stacking and collecting 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

hey all newbie stacker here as well, i stumbled across this forum on google. some great info here. and helpful people.

iv noticed not a lot of people stack american eagles? why? i love these coins, it was my intention of just stacking 1 or 2 particular coins, american silver eagles & britannia's and maybe some odd coins every now and then? is stacking 1/2 particular coins a bad idea?

Archived