• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Starting a stack

Tomato

Hi all,

I hope I'm posting this query in the right sub-forum!

I accidentally came across the silver forum while doing some research about Whisky investment and got intrigued by the possibility of investing in silver/gold and stick to drinking whisky, instead of investing in it. :D

I'm relatively new to the scene, so please be gentle with me! So far, I've learned an incredible amount of information and knowledge from the posts on this forum, but I was hoping that some of the seasoned veterans could make some suggestions in the best way of starting a stack for long-term investment. I'm thinking of starting off with a few £100's then gradually build up over time, with the obvious caveats of price variation. In fact I was thinking of purchasing one of Backyard Bullion's silver forum bars, if he still has any for sale, as they look nice and he sounds like a nice guy from his YouTube videos.

Cheers and many thanks to everyone's replies in advance. :)

Welcome Tomato!

Tip No. 1 - Don’t pay VAT on your silver!! Make a 20% saving by shopping at e.g silver-to-go.com 

I used to buy Silver from atkinsons as they had a good selection but if your not collecting a variety and more stacking bulk e.g tunes at a time them “STG” is a good place to start mate.

They aren’t in the UK but are a sound company as I’ve ordered successfully from them over 5 times so far!

All the best!

MS 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

Welcome.

Also, use the trade section on this forum. I'm currently putting together a US gold numismatic set so have my eyes elsewhere for the moment but if you after stacking silver as bullion you really can't go wrong, there have been some cracking deals on here.

Hi and welcome @Tomato I think BYB still has bars available last I knew he had 50 left but I'm sure @BackyardBullion Will be able to assist you more

I have two of them and they are great bars you cannot go wrong with them and also for investing a few 100's in silver is a great idea and BYB also runs a group order from a Belgium company call goldsilver.be and he has an order open now on the sales thread for November so I would say go and check that out as it's the cheapest way to get you up and running 

2 minutes ago, AgD said:

Hi and welcome @Tomato I think BYB still has bars available last I knew he had 50 left but I'm sure @BackyardBullion Will be able to assist you more

I have two of them and they are great bars you cannot go wrong with them and also for investing a few 100's in silver is a great idea and BYB also runs a group order from a Belgium company call goldsilver.be and he has an order open now on the sales thread for November so I would say go and check that out as it's the cheapest way to get you up and running 

@Tomato Welcome to the forum!

If you want some 100g Silver Forum Branded bars including the all important hallmarks let me know!

59fa1880516ae__DSC0221(2).thumb.JPG.50b3f06a75bd26cb77b0895713ab2217.JPG

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I second the above comment, very addictive! But good fun too. I’ve only been on this forum for a couple of months, but everyone I’ve had contact with or bought from has been great. The classifieds are a great place to pick up some deals, I’ve bought quite a few bits on here, all with great success!

Welcome 

Im  new here too and another vote from buying here on the forum - i just got a 1911 half sovereign (gold) for a great price 

I'm currently discussing a silver purchase via BYB's baulk buy from Belgium also

Ive learnt so much here in a small time and everyone seems happy to help and answer questions 

Think you have come to the right place 

On 01/11/2017 at 16:50, MancunianStacker said:

Welcome Tomato!

Tip No. 1 - Don’t pay VAT on your silver!! Make a 20% saving by shopping at e.g silver-to-go.com 

I used to buy Silver from atkinsons as they had a good selection but if your not collecting a variety and more stacking bulk e.g tunes at a time them “STG” is a good place to start mate.

They aren’t in the UK but are a sound company as I’ve ordered successfully from them over 5 times so far!

All the best!

MS 

Hi all,

i am also new to buying metals as an investment and I just want to say thanks to MS for this absolute gem of information. 

Hi tomato, I also recently started stacking a bit of silver, also collecting sovereigns. I don’t care what the silver looks like, because it’s just a long term hedge on inflation, planning to keep 15-20 years plus. So for that reason I’m stacking old silver currency like pre 1920 sterling silver. I bought a set of George V half crowns from the forum recently, they are about 14 grams of sterling silver each and are liquid, easy to sell (see ebay). Might be a strategy to consider. I set bids on eBay at just under spot, I don’t often win because many are willing to pay over spot, but every now and then I do win, usually because of poorly titled auctions, or auctions ending at odd times.

11 minutes ago, Albird87 said:

This has probably been covered before, but how do you go about selling your silver coins or bars for their actual value? 

you can sell any silver coin at any time for it's actual value. What that value is though, may be debatable;)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

On 03/11/2017 at 21:44, Albird87 said:

This has probably been covered before, but how do you go about selling your silver coins or bars for their actual value? 

I’ll try to actually be helpful...

A dealer like Atkinsons Bullion in Birmingham will buy silver and gold purchased from anywhere. The price they offer is comparable with eBay minus the fees (for mixed Sovereigns anyway for low mintage Silver it isn’t great). They have a “sell” section with live quotes if you check out their site.

For fancy silver eBay will give you the widest audience but fees are a pain! So being on this forum will help when you come to sell but many just expect eBay prices minus the fee even for very low mintage top graded gold. That’s when you use eBay.

Stacking the lowest premium silver coins can be a good angle because you’d often just get spot from a dealer anyway.

Chexk our the sold prices on this forum. You may just want to buy direct from long term trusted members on here???

All the best!

MS

51 minutes ago, MancunianStacker said:

I’ll try to actually be helpful...

A dealer like Atkinsons Bullion in Birmingham will buy silver and gold purchased from anywhere. The price they offer is comparable with eBay minus the fees (for mixed Sovereigns anyway for low mintage Silver it isn’t great). They have a “sell” section with live quotes if you check out their site.

For fancy silver eBay will give you the widest audience but fees are a pain! So being on this forum will help when you come to sell but many just expect eBay prices minus the fee even for very low mintage top graded gold. That’s when you use eBay.

Stacking the lowest premium silver coins can be a good angle because you’d often just get spot from a dealer anyway.

Chexk our the sold prices on this forum. You may just want to buy direct from long term trusted members on here???

All the best!

MS

Many thanks MS

On 01/11/2017 at 16:50, MancunianStacker said:

Welcome Tomato!

All the best!

MS 

Hi MS. As someone just starting out with stacking my objective is to accumulate a large amount of metal over many years and to keep it until such a time that I want to liquidate. Would you recommend buying a variety of coins or just sticking to one particular coin, such as the Britannia? 

5 minutes ago, Albird87 said:

Hi MS. As someone just starting out with stacking my objective is to accumulate a large amount of metal over many years and to keep it until such a time that I want to liquidate. Would you recommend buying a variety of coins or just sticking to one particular coin, such as the Britannia? 

Check out shadow stacker on Youtube his videos will answer that question for you 

9 minutes ago, Albird87 said:

I made the mistake of a) buying a variety of coins ans b ) buying from Atkinsons and paying VAT on it. The upside was that I got to hold a variety of coins. If I want to sell these now and get the most for them, I’d have to do an individual listing on eBay for each coin = a real pain!!!

Then I started buying tubes of Canadian Wildlife Series Coins (from STG) which have lovely designs but “milkspot” regulary although I’ve been very lucky!!! Many stackers hate Canadian coins because those with milkspots don’t do get well on secondary market. This means I can list coins in bulk and in the tube means less likely to have been handled.

Britannia’s are great because they are capital gains tax free but everyone has a CGT allowance of around £12,000 profit, so that’s a lot of coins to sell each year! Therefore, if you were looking to sell part of your stack each year to a dealer who’d pay spot then you’d be best buying the lowest price coin on STG = 1oz Australian Kangaroo at £16.03 closely followed by the Canadian Maple at £16.07 if buying less than 25 (a Tube) at a time.

I bought by stacking silver in tubes because the tubes can also be sold to those wanting to stack in original tubes.

I’ve also bought roles of Australian Lunar coins because they tend to hold their price well when silver takes a dive as their mintages are much lower.

ShadowStack has some great videos so I agree check him out on YouTube he’s a great lad and wants to educate and help! I do the occasional video too! Mine are rubbish though ?

Good luck!

1 hour ago, MancunianStacker said:

I made the mistake of a) buying a variety of coins ans b ) buying from Atkinsons and paying VAT on it. The upside was that I got to hold a variety of coins. If I want to sell these now and get the most for them, I’d have to do an individual listing on eBay for each coin = a real pain!!!

Then I started buying tubes of Canadian Wildlife Series Coins (from STG) which have lovely designs but “milkspot” regulary although I’ve been very lucky!!! Many stackers hate Canadian coins because those with milkspots don’t do get well on secondary market. This means I can list coins in bulk and in the tube means less likely to have been handled.

Britannia’s are great because they are capital gains tax free but everyone has a CGT allowance of around £12,000 profit, so that’s a lot of coins to sell each year! Therefore, if you were looking to sell part of your stack each year to a dealer who’d pay spot then you’d be best buying the lowest price coin on STG = 1oz Australian Kangaroo at £16.03 closely followed by the Canadian Maple at £16.07 if buying less than 25 (a Tube) at a time.

I bought by stacking silver in tubes because the tubes can also be sold to those wanting to stack in original tubes.

I’ve also bought roles of Australian Lunar coins because they tend to hold their price well when silver takes a dive as their mintages are much lower.

ShadowStack has some great videos so I agree check him out on YouTube he’s a great lad and wants to educate and help! I do the occasional video too! Mine are rubbish though ?

Good luck!

I’ve noticed that STG has a delivery charge of about £16, which kind of wipes out the VAT saving if only buying say 5 coins at a time. So do you tend to avoid buying smaller quantities and just wait until you have the cash to buy a full tube? 

Archived