• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

silver krugerrand

mrbritish1976

They released a silver 1oz in bullion (large mintage) and proof strikes (better quality, lower mintage, higher price).  I guess the bullions could be going for £35, it doesn't mean they are fake.

23 minutes ago, STONE said:

From what the SA mint has said this will be the only year of issue.

Not surprised, I am sure it cost them a lot on returns due to the poor quality of the silver proofs.  There is a thread on here at release with tons of folks returning multiple coins.

On 11/1/2017 at 14:17, breaktwister said:

Not surprised, I am sure it cost them a lot on returns due to the poor quality of the silver proofs.  There is a thread on here at release with tons of folks returning multiple coins.

I sent back at least 8 (including replacements). Coin Portfolio said they never sent returned coins back out to new customers, but I know at least one person they did that to.

On 11/1/2017 at 14:20, STONE said:

A lot of the proof coins had come out of the capsule and were loose in the box. A foam insert would have solved that problem.

That wasn't the only problem by a long shot - a lot of them from Coin Portfolio and Westminster were either sent out with milk spots, or presumably had them them develope overnight in transit (i'm not implying the companies involved were any more 'culpable' than any others - it's just the two I dealt with). I got at least one that was fine on arrival and then a day or two later it had spotted.

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly a stunning coin in silver form

definitely one I would like to add to my collection so will probably look at ordering one or a couple on BYBs next order after this as I'm on the Panda hunt this order

cant see it being a winner as an investment for a long while but a must have I think 

9 hours ago, shortstack said:

Certainly a stunning coin in silver form

definitely one I would like to add to my collection so will probably look at ordering one or a couple on BYBs next order after this as I'm on the Panda hunt this order

cant see it being a winner as an investment for a long while but a must have I think 

I passed on picking one up this time round with BYB, just went for basic bullion, but it's still on my list.

57 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

I passed on picking one up this time round with BYB, just went for basic bullion, but it's still on my list.

I would just say check the coin very carefully if you get the Proof (probably the BU too, I can't imagine it'd be much different, but I have no experience with those). The more careful sellers will be well aware of the spotting problems and will check them first (ask them to if not sure!) and won't send returns out again, but at least one 'premium' UK company (Coin Portfolio Management) did just that

I had ten of the Proofs through my hands and returned nine of them due to either spots or scratches from loose coins in the box. The one I kept I don't dare look at since it went into storage. Tbh I'm surprised any companies are still selling these, but with the reputable companies who really care about what they send out and will check them first hopefully it's a good sign that stock so much later is on sale (as long as it is both scratch and spot free).

2 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I would just say check the coin very carefully if you get the Proof (probably the BU too, I can't imagine it'd be much different, but I have no experience with those). The more careful sellers will be well aware of the spotting problems and will check them first (ask them to if not sure!) and won't send returns out again, but at least one 'premium' UK company (Coin Portfolio Management) did just that

I had ten of the Proofs through my hands and returned nine of them due to either spots or scratches from loose coins in the box. The one I kept I don't dare look at since it went into storage. Tbh I'm surprised any companies are still selling these, but with the reputable companies who really care about what they send out and will check them first hopefully it's a good sign that stock so much later is on sale (as long as it is both scratch and spot free).

why don't u just op for a refund 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

9 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Thanks for the advice, I would only purchase a BU version but would want a good one none the less!

44 minutes ago, fehk2001 said:

why don't u just op for a refund 

I kept the best one out of ten which had no problems at the time, but I fully expect it's spotted now having been in storage since and despite all precautions (airtight storage, dessicant packs, anti-tarnish strips, etc).

I think you're right and I should have just got a refund, but it was nice (if perhaps stupid) to keep one after messing round for a month or so with Coin Portfolio Management and Westminster with loads of returns and phone calls etc. I felt I'd ended up with 'something' more than a month of my life wasted chasing one nice coin. I also love the Krug design but will never get a gold one, so really it was my heart ruling my head to keep one, probably at my (significant) loss.

The last time I saw it it was pristine so I'd rather take that memory to my grave rather than ever see it again and have my heart broken even more lol :(

42 minutes ago, JunkBond said:

Thanks for the advice, I would only purchase a BU version but would want a good one none the less!

Get the loupe out and check it very carefully, the spots on these are tiny to the naked eye at first, and if you're not 100% sure it's 'first time' stock (at least on the Proof, no idea if the BU came in a box) there are likely to be scratches and dings too from where the badly designed capsules/box came open in transit.

It will cost you extra, but if you order from Martin at silver trader.co.uk i could pretty much guarantee you'll be getting a great condition, genuine coin. Last time I looked his were around £44 ish delivered though.

7 minutes ago, kimchi said:

I kept the best one out of ten which had no problems at the time, but I fully expect it's spotted now having been in storage since and despite all precautions (airtight storage, dessicant packs, anti-tarnish strips, etc).

I think you're right and I should have just got a refund, but it was nice (if perhaps stupid) to keep one after messing round for a month or so with Coin Portfolio Management and Westminster with loads of returns and phone calls etc. I felt I'd ended up with 'something' more than a month of my life wasted chasing one nice coin. I also love the Krug design but will never get a gold one, so really it was my heart ruling my head to keep one, probably at my (significant) loss.

The last time I saw it it was pristine so I'd rather take that memory to my grave rather than ever see it again and have my heart broken even more lol :(

Get the loupe out and check it very carefully, the spots on these are tiny to the naked eye at first, and if you're not 100% sure it's 'first time' stock (at least on the Proof, no idea if the BU came in a box) there are likely to be scratches and dings too from where the badly designed capsules/box came open in transit.

because you care about the coin so much due to money factors greater than coin quality , my tactics is send whatever back if it is not up to the described/ expected  standard , if I miss the boat I wouldn't mind too much because there are ALWAYS another coins about . I apply the same to auction , if I win I win or not no big lost because there are always another about , I just wont pay more than what I am willing to pay UNLESS it is a coin I am after for years comes up then I will attach a stupid premium on top just to make sure I get it, this way u will get some bargain and a nice surprise invoice :D , for grading , same just throw the coin in, the most u will lose is 14 quid for grading ( modern ) if u submit 10 coins , just break the slabs if results totally off target  

1 hour ago, boon said:

It will cost you extra, but if you order from Martin at silver trader.co.uk i could pretty much guarantee you'll be getting a great condition, genuine coin. Last time I looked his were around £44 ish delivered though.

I have been using Martin, have to agree a great service.

2 hours ago, fehk2001 said:

because you care about the coin so much due to money factors greater than coin quality , my tactics is send whatever back if it is not up to the described/ expected  standard , if I miss the boat I wouldn't mind too much because there are ALWAYS another coins about .

No - it was nothing to do with money at all. It was because I had spent a month messing around almost daily with two dealers to try to get at least one good coin, and finally I felt I got it.

The quality of the one coin I finally accepted was perfect at arrival and for a couple of weeks afterwards (beyond the return period). I then put it into storage at that point and have since been told that the same coins in the same time scale (graded as PF70 by NGC even) have developed spots, so I don't even want to look at the coin again.

While I agree with your general approach 100%, I hope that's clear it up now about the money I paid, the quality I thought I had, but the concerns I now have, of this one coin :)

22 minutes ago, kimchi said:

No - it was nothing to do with money at all. It was because I had spent a month messing around almost daily with two dealers to try to get at least one good coin, and finally I felt I got it.

The quality of the one coin I finally accepted was perfect at arrival and for a couple of weeks afterwards (beyond the return period). I then put it into storage at that point and have since been told that the same coins in the same time scale (graded as PF70 by NGC even) have developed spots, so I don't even want to look at the coin again.

While I agree with your general approach 100%, I hope that's clear it up now about the money I paid, the quality I thought I had, but the concerns I now have, of this one coin :)

To save u suffer with that coin I offer u spot price for it , hope that helps :D

Archived