• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

HELP!!

I was just thinking about should or shouldn't I start  buying 1g gold coins as a means of dipping my toe in the water  I mean I'm not able to spend £1000+ for a oz any one have any advice

Don't see why not, I started stacking about 3 years ago and if you time your purchases to discount days, voucher offers etc you should have a store of wealth that won't depreciate, all my 1g  gold I know I could sell on Ebay and make at least a tenner profit on all of them.

I should add I don't bother with coins at that weight though mine are all 1g gold bars, needs to be 1/10th oz before I will consider a coin. just so I can make out the detail.

1 minute ago, Scuzzle said:

Don't see why not, I started stacking about 3 years ago and if you time your purchases to discount days, voucher offers etc you should have a store of wealth that won't depreciate, all my 1g  gold I know I could sell on Ebay and make at least a tenner profit on all of them.

I should add I don't bother with coins though mine are all 1g gold bars.

I'm looking at the Maple leafs to go with my silver maples it bugs me when they're mixed haha

Just now, Jordie said:

I'm looking at the Maple leafs to go with my silver maples it bugs me when they're mixed haha

Personally I would just get whatever you can get the cheapest, a maple is nice but it's not part of any kind of series or collection which makes it one of the more reasonably priced coins anyway but gold is gold and you can't go wrong just getting the best possible price you can find.

I've been looking at fractionals, really tempted until i realised just how small they are.  10mm across for a 1g panda you cant really see the design, not sure detail even comes out that well.  1/10 -1/4 seem the good range for cost of entry combined with something you can appreciate aesthetics.  Bars might be more suitable for smaller size. 

9 minutes ago, Scuzzle said:

Personally I would just get whatever you can get the cheapest, a maple is nice but it's not part of any kind of series or collection which makes it one of the more reasonably priced coins anyway but gold is gold and you can't go wrong just getting the best possible price you can find.

I guess your right what's the point of getting something to admire if you can't Evan see the design I'm gonna do some shopping and get to it

For the right price, anything is worth getting your hands on! I won 3x1g Maple Leafs at auction a few weeks ago for less than spot price, otherwise I would have never considered the premium that normally comes with fractional coins.

17 hours ago, Jordie said:

I guess you're right, what's the point of getting something to admire if you can't even see the design. I'm gonna do some shopping and get to it.

And the design is beautiful...you just need a little help to see it. :)

2017-10-30 10.36.09.jpg

2017-10-30 10.32.05.jpg

2017-10-30 10.56.21.jpg

2017-10-30 10.57.25.jpg

2017-10-30 11.08.09.jpg

It is all down to margin or premium over spot. Treat bullion gold as a scrap metal worth its weight in gold !!   If you can buy a nice coin say 1/10 ounce or a half sovereign for spot + 3% then that beats smaller denominations at spot + 10% plus shipping will add percentage-wise on small purchases.

2 hours ago, Cacc said:

For the right price, anything is worth getting your hands on! I won 3x1g Maple Leafs at auction a few weeks ago for less than spot price, otherwise I would have never considered the premium that normally comes with fractional coins.

And the design is beautiful...you just need a little help to see it. :)

2017-10-30 10.36.09.jpg

2017-10-30 10.32.05.jpg

2017-10-30 10.56.21.jpg

2017-10-30 10.57.25.jpg

2017-10-30 11.08.09.jpg

what auction mate?

10 minutes ago, Jordie said:

what auction mate?

I regularly bid on auctions for coins and firearms on iCollector. The coins I bid on most are from these guys: http://www.icollector.com/Auction-Network_ae2032 but there are many others happening all the time. If you are in Colchester, Ontario then this is probably more useful to you are they are Ontario-based as I am. If you are in Colchester, England then there might be other auctions on the iCollector network that could be useful, but it seems all the auctions I can see are from Canada, the US, and Australia.

36 minutes ago, Cacc said:

I regularly bid on auctions for coins and firearms on iCollector. The coins I bid on most are from these guys: http://www.icollector.com/Auction-Network_ae2032 but there are many others happening all the time. If you are in Colchester, Ontario then this is probably more useful to you are they are Ontario-based as I am. If you are in Colchester, England then there might be other auctions on the iCollector network that could be useful, but it seems all the auctions I can see are from Canada, the US, and Australia.

Nothing will stop your source of gold @ under spot price faster that giving away your sources! :o

2 minutes ago, Clens92 said:

Nothing will stop your source of gold @ under spot price faster that giving away your sources! :o

They have 3 auctions a week with hundreds of items each...I just don't have that kind of time on my hands!

Archived