• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

11 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Blimey that is one 'busy' coin! Not in a bad way but the Mint have been going nuts on Brits the last year or two, what next?!! :o

I think the "one ounce fine gold" and "Britannia" just plonked beside the trident is a bit lazy, but otherwise it looks great.

3 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

I think the "one ounce fine gold" and "Britannia" just plonked beside the trident is a bit lazy, but otherwise it looks great.

Agreed, I think it would look even better without those, but they have to put them somewhere and there's literally no room anywhere (apart from on Britannia herself)!

Edited by kimchi

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

Agreed, I think it would look even better without those, but they have to put them somewhere and there's literally no room anywhere (apart from on Britannia herself)!

Couldn't they use Queenie's face for that?

Is that a treasonous thought?

Just now, PansPurse said:

Couldn't they use Queenie's face for that?

Is that a treasonous thought?

It's illegal to deface the monarch's effigy on currency alas (even by the Mint), otherwise I would draw little moustaches on all my notes (which I would obviously never, ever do) :ph34r:

15 minutes ago, PansPurse said:

Yes, i really like except the lack of thought.  Too late now ofcourse, but you'd have thought they could put "1 oz 999 fine gold" or silver round the edge, and i dont need to be told its a Britannia.

5 hours ago, PansPurse said:

5 hours ago, kimchi said:

4 hours ago, Martlet said:

Yes, i really like except the lack of thought.  Too late now ofcourse, but you'd have thought they could put "1 oz 999 fine gold" or silver round the edge, and i dont need to be told its a Britannia.

Hi All.  I was drawn to this particular coin because I absolutely love the design on the reverse of old British Trade Dollars (I bought several of these at auction between Christmas & New Year, (I have one of them for sale currently)), and this Oriental Design Britannia is clearly inspired by that coin.  

I had similar reservations of the lettering, but given the overall aesthetic (and the fact that I had spent so many hours drooling over the damn thing on different websites!) I took the plunge, given only a £7 premium over the 2018 Britannia, and notwithstanding a reasonably low mintage of 5000.   I should acknowledge however,  that  my initial plan for my first Gold 1oz'er was to buy from the secondary market close to spot! so I have blown the budget and I should disclose (looks around to make sure the wife isn't looking over my shoulder), I did buy two of these!  

My observations are, in hand as opposed to seeing it blown up in the photo's,  the lettering/numbers are not that prominent as they blend into the radial design.  The 'Britannia' lettering/ numbers look fresh and modern looking and the radial design really emphasises the Oriental Border and allows Britannia to stand out prominently.  

Judging by the amount of 'likes' here, this is a popular design on the Silver Forum and lots of chatter about buying them in the group order, so I am encouraged that the two I have bought might make/keep a bit of a premium in a few years time and as a footnote, I wish I had a suitcase full.   At at the end of the day they are bullion coins that I have bought to hopefully help my retirement be a little bit more comfortable, 17 years to go!

I think I overpaid but it seemed nice ))

Do you want your coins sent back to NCG to have the labels put right?
If its going to take weeks then no but if its pretty quick then yes please. I will also pay you this afternoon as I forgot :/

If its going to take weeks then no but if its pretty quick then yes please. I will also pay you this afternoon as I forgot :/

It will take a few weeks so it’s your call.

Something a little different, adding to my collection of literature. 

Wilson & Rasmussen - English pattern trial and proof coins in gold

The Bentley Collection - The Ultimate British Sovereign Collection - Complete 3 auction limited edition volume

The Bentley collection book is a compilation of the 3 auctions, including other interesting facts and Appendices including realised prices, die number tables etc. Approx 450 pages, a true monster and a must have record!

IMG_20180124_111800.thumb.jpg.d539bc0de066598a1971b0c1fb61b4f8.jpg

IMG_20180124_111833.thumb.jpg.800e4a8fc8de2b5710cf07bcabcac74a.jpg

IMG_20180124_111918.thumb.jpg.6eb9f799eb5dcb094a1da45b6ea234e8.jpg

IMG_20180124_111850.thumb.jpg.4160f0fc804a7befe3a0d06914925eba.jpg

IMG_20180124_112016.thumb.jpg.7da5be83caaec473d23e7442528db49f.jpg

IMG_20180124_111728.thumb.jpg.1c5606adba96c824a6cd4bdd316633cd.jpg

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

@richatthecroft very interesting to hear your thoughts, thanks! She is indeed a stunner it's always interesting indeed to hear about different feelings in hand, even though she looks a beaut anyway from the big pics you posted :) I can imagine you were dazzled when you first laid eyes on the actual coins! Like you say, add on the mintage for a Brit and it's a very pleasing proposition, you must be very happy with your purchase, I would be :) I've gone for the silver as it's a real curio imo (and hadn't noticed the lettering on those!) - it's just, as I say, what on earth can they come up with next year, they have seemingly thrown absolute everything they could possibly think of all on one coin!

2 hours ago, sg86 said:

The Bentley Collection - The Ultimate British Sovereign Collection - Complete 3 auction limited edition volume

The Bentley collection book is a compilation of the 3 auctions, including other interesting facts and Appendices including realised prices, die number tables etc. Approx 450 pages, a true monster and a must have record!

Looks like a nice volume. I've managed with the pdf's so far:)

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon