• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Today I Received.....

Message added by ChrisSilver

The Today I received section is for private individuals to share items they have purchased for their collection / as part of their investment.

The Today I received section is not to be used for businesses to promote their business. Trade members and those operating as a business in the eyes of the forum are invited to enquire about a Dealer Sub Forum, where you may start your own Today _____ received topic to post your commercial purchases. E.g. The Today Chards Received..... topic.

3 hours ago, Sovereign said:

1863 PCGS AU58 Arabic 1 

seen Roman 1 

wich one is rarer ?

The Arabic 1 is the normal variety, the Roman I or inverted 1 over 1 (arabic) is or are, depending on whether these are 1 or 2 varieties),  much rarer, but not exceptionally rare.

I'm surprised they deem fit to mention the arabic 1 on the label as it's the normal variety.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

The Arabic 1 is the normal variety, the Roman I or inverted 1 over 1 (arabic) is or are, depending on whether these are 1 or 2 varieties),  much rarer, but not exceptionally rare.
I'm surprised they deem fit to mention the arabic 1 on the label as it's the normal variety.

The grading companies seem to offer both designations when there is a relatively common alternative.

For example, if there is a St. George and Shield for the same date they will always say St. George even though St George is pretty much the default.

19 minutes ago, Numistacker said:

The grading companies seem to offer both designations when there is a relatively common alternative.

For example, if there is a St. George and Shield for the same date they will always say St. George even though St George is pretty much the default.

I can see your point but not quite the same.

Your example of the G&D as against the shield is different for the following reason. It is imperative that these two are differentiated as they are two completely different designs even though they are of the same year. They are meant to be that way.

On the other hand, we have the 1863 sovereign, the only design being the shield (forget the Sydney design for now) with the Arabic 1 as the design feature. The Roman I (or arabic 1 over inverted 1) is a die error and as such should be labelled. I don't think it is necessary to label the correct design. They don't do it for all years where there are die errors and it's only the fact that this error is relatively common, but still rare compared to the normal coin. What measure of occurence they use is purely arbitary.

I can see your point but not quite the same.
Your example of the G&D as against the shield is different for the following reason. It is imperative that these two are differentiated as they are two completely different designs even though they are of the same year. They are meant to be that way.
On the other hand, we have the 1863 sovereign, the only design being the shield (forget the Sydney design for now) with the Arabic 1 as the design feature. The Roman I (or arabic 1 over inverted 1) is a die error and as such should be labelled. I don't think it is necessary to label the correct design. They don't do it for all years where there are die errors and it's only the fact that this error is relatively common, but still rare compared to the normal coin. What measure of occurence they use is purely arbitary.

You are probably right. I do remember when I graded a double florin it also was designated as Arabic despite this being the more common variety.

Just now, Numistacker said:

You are probably right. I do remember when I graded a double florin it also was designated as Arabic despite this being the more common variety.

I'm not sure of the numbers but the Roman I 1887 double florin is pretty common compared to the average die error, so it's probably justified with this coin.

11 hours ago, Jay2 said:

Just received a fun coin today. Allegedly a two headed silver Morgan peace dollar. I'm curious how these were made, but I'm more concerned that it's really silver. It has coin orientation. Both heads are 1922 but have different levels of wear. I can see a slightly raised edge on one side which suggests a second head was just pressed or melted into a hollowed cavity, but I can't get a scalpel in there. Seems like a smooth seam in fact other than the telltale thickness.

59e88e9d31d87_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.dd681a2f4de63906f9bee5e0bfb47826.jpgs-l1600.thumb.jpg.773f22dea31654db52f3e4838f334a1c.jpg

Maybe check the weight? For a 1922 it should weigh Weight: 26.7300g

On 20-10-2017 at 01:38, sovereignsteve said:

up to date now with the Belarus lunars, just love this series.

59e937753f0c2_belaruschicken2.thumb.JPG.bc9b14c9a5ef16969dbf9d40e11c12ec.JPG59e93750daead_belaruschicken1.JPG.b37ad41eb956e28766250a9a19c4f77d.JPG

Looks very nice indeed! You suffered any milk spotting on them untill now? The coins from the past in this series have a pretty high premium it seems... 

1 minute ago, PolarPanda said:

Looks very nice indeed! You suffered any milk spotting on them untill now? The coins from the past in this series have a pretty high premium it seems... 

None whatsoever, a superb quality coin. They are collectable proof coins with a limited mintage and as such will have a high premium assuming people want to buy them. The last couple of years have been 1000 mintage although previous years were more.

6 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

None whatsoever, a superb quality coin. They are collectable proof coins with a limited mintage and as such will have a high premium assuming people want to buy them. The last couple of years have been 1000 mintage although previous years were more.

Yeah i see the first releases had a mintage of 8.000 and now they went back to 1.000. Still they look very interesting and 'unique' to me. Thank you for sharing that picture! 

Curious to see what grades you receive from NGC. I sent 8 2017 proof one ounce Libertads into PCGS and got 7 69"s and 1 70.
I'll know next week, yeah it looks like 69's are common... Although I thought only 2 out of my 3 coins looks like 70, the other I just wanted in an NGC slab... Once I know I'll post the results.