• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How the heck do you teach your wife about the value of your G&S

Sal

My wife has zero interest in learning about what I collect or the value of it. I am pretty sure I will be checking out before her and I will turn in my grave (not really, I am not going into a casket) if she ends up selling my stuff for 50 cents on the dollar. My mix of coins is way too varied for her to even attempt to research why the present value of a good percentage of my collection is.  Any suggestions except simply describing ever piece with my cost attached to it on some online journal ? 

10 minutes ago, Sal said:

My wife has zero interest in learning about what I collect or the value of it. I am pretty sure I will be checking out before her and I will turn in my grave (not really, I am not going into a casket) if she ends up selling my stuff for 50 cents on the dollar. My mix of coins is way too varied for her to even attempt to research why the present value of a good percentage of my collection is.  Any suggestions except simply describing ever piece with my cost attached to it on some online journal ? 

If there is no-one you wish to leave the coins to then put them in your will. Then you should find an executor with some knowledge of coins who is instructed to dispose of them for a good price. You also put in the will who will get the proceeds of the sale. It is then out of your wife's hands. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

profit 50-50% and you have to do nothing , just share the profit 

no lose 

if I die before u do, take the spread sheet from my computer ,  send them to my parents or auction them 

or just give them all away to charity 

we will (meet again one day ) up there or down there 

amen

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

1 hour ago, Scuzzle said:

It's a few pages on what I have thats of any value, where it's hidden and how to go about selling it and what kind of prices to ask.

Modern day treasure map hehe :D 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

Agreed a spreadsheet helped explain the value of my (our?;)) metals to the missus. Separate columns for date, buy cost, value at today's price (linked to spot) tells them what it's worth. For collectables it's a different story, much more difficult, I think the USB stick idea is a good one, updated frequently. 

It helps convince them when they can see the rise in value. If you have a losing coin, perhaps bought too many of the latest 'rarer than a davinchi' apmex hot buy, then keep those off the spreadsheet when you show it to her :P

The spreadsheet idea is a good start - but it also needs to contain instructions on an exit strategy on how to liquidate the collection.

Another possibility is to teach your kids all you know - ah - just thinking about this idea churns my stomach. 

Just a thought now, How many of us members have wives who collect stuff - maybe we should take a greater interest in what they are up too? ?

i made a comment to someone else this week after watching a number of stacker videos on youtube. i said that in my estimation at least 95% of youtube channels dealing with gold and silver collecting were by men. That the vast majority of members of the silver forum are men. i do not know who is behind most of the usernames but i have a pretty good idea they are not women. i wondered why this was the case, why gold and silver collecting is something that women do not get involved in, well at least directly. i know of members who keep their stacking secret from their other [female] half. 

The ideal is to have children who have a keen interest in your gold and silver. So if you do not sell it off before you die, you can pass it down and know it will be appreciated. So you need a proper will.

i think if you are concerned that your hard earned precious metal collection will not appreciated when you are gone and sold for a song, a spreadsheet ought to be compiled but that does not ensure your carefully cataloged collection will be properly dealt with. People need to make a will and appoint an executor who has an interest in coins or at least has the wherewithal to find someone else who does for advice. 

The reason i mention this is someone i was associated with died this year and there is no will. Without going into details it has meant there is a big mess. The estate is quite valuable and there is going to be a fight. The end result may well not be what the deceased wanted. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

10 hours ago, Sal said:

i asked a woman about your dilemma. The response was, do you show any interest in what she is interested in?  :P

41 minutes ago, Pete said:

If I showed my silver spreadsheet to my wife with the prices paid ( recall buying lots at the peak ) then I would have to hide the kitchen knives.

A good a reason as any to only ever buy with your own personal spare cash, assuring all weekly/monthly household costs have been met first!

....it's my money, I'll do what I like with it....yes, been there.

9 hours ago, sixgun said:

i asked a woman about your dilemma. The response was, do you show any interest in what she is interested in?  :P

Tell your woman friend I do show interest in her hobbies/lifestyle. The problem is I have  a numbers/accountant mindset and she wants nothing to do with that type of thinking. Probably a pretty common mentality among most couples. (But no all as to not get the feminists on my back here).

Archived