• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

My first sovereign

Sovsaver

Recently decided I'd like to stack a few sovereigns, just to add a dimension to the pension and ISA. With that in mind I ordered one from ATS Bullion, one of the value ones were you get what you get. It arrived a couple of weeks back and I'm really happy with it, I don't know what I expected. It's a QEII young head, and seems to have nice lustre and not a lot of wear, so I got more than I bargained for, for just over spot.

As part of my learning process, what is the "defect" on the obverse rim, adjacent to "GI" in Regina? I assumed it was eitheran edge knock (but from the side the rim doesn't seem fatter), or a mark from the planchet not sitting right in the die?

I think it was cleaned to, there seems to be unidirectional fine scratches all over the obverse fields when viewed with a loupe.

Note I'm not moaning about this, just interested in learning. By the way, initially it was all about getting as close to spot and damn the condition, that's out the window now. Started lusting after the collectable versions :wub:

IMG-0235.JPG

IMG-0247.JPG

Welcome m8 I have that same year to. Sovereign s are very nice coins to stack. The are sovereign.s that don't cost to much over spot and are worth getting like the 2002  2012  2017  2005 I like the young head one's to 

Thanks goldmick, I have added some more since, got a 1930 Geo V SA and a Victoria young head shield that one of our friends here was selling. It has all the hallmarks of becoming a hobby that will keep my wife awake at night. Only joking, she's in on it too, first time we've really shared an interest, only married 23 years. :lol:

Welcome Sovsaver and Mrs Sovsaver!
You can get some nice George V's at a very good price. The QE II's for resale as collectables you need to have Mint State.
You both had better be careful about getting hooked on collecting Sovs - its a hard habit to kick.....

Sent from my K6000 Pro using TSF App mobile app

Was it the 1871 sold on here? I was looking at that to was a good buy. Yes you can't go wrong with sovereign s my favourite coin. I'm getting one next week and the new Queen beast's 1/4 Oz gold. there very nice to if you haven't got one yet there very very nice 

Thanks sovtracker, wise words, although these are our first sovereigns we did buy the kids one each for the years of birth. We were going to do the same for our nieces and nephews, but was worried about how prolific our siblings would be, you get the idea. It could've got expensive!

2 minutes ago, Goldmick said:

Was it the 1871 sold on here? I was looking at that to was a good buy. Yes you can't go wrong with sovereign s my favourite coin. I'm getting one next week and the new Queen beast's 1/4 Oz gold. there very nice to if you haven't got one yet there very very nice 

1877, same seller.

1 hour ago, Sovsaver said:

As part of my learning process, what is the "defect" on the obverse rim, adjacent to "GI" in Regina? I assumed it was eitheran edge knock

probably either where it was dropped or a file mark from gold testing

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

9 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

probably either where it was dropped or a file mark from gold testing

I looked again with the magnifier, I can see how it could be a result of being dropped, thanks. Whilst I was looking I noticed a couple of flat spots, so it wouldn't be uncirculated grade anyway, I guess at best it'd be EF, without the edge defect. It's reserved for my little bullion price gold stack.

4 minutes ago, CarlosSilver said:

I got my first sovereign last month from Atkinson's. That one is also a 1963. 

Excellent, hope you enjoy it. There was lots minted that year, 7.4 million.

3 hours ago, Sovsaver said:

Just noticed I've copied the title of airmac's thread, sorry about that, thought it seemed familiar. I've been lurking a while and only just picked up the confidence to post :ph34r:

Great minds think alike  :D

Archived