• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Can you trust ngc or pcgs population reports

Pampfan

In looking at the population reports for ngc and pcgs coins I asked myself the question - how accurate are they and do they or can they tell the complete picture of how many of a graded coin exists in the market place. 

I know that a lot of dealers and individuals will submit a coin - multiple times with the hopes that it will grade that one number higher - to increase its value by possibly 2x or even more in some cases. 

I am curious as to how many collectors use the pop report to determine whether they will buy a coin or not.

They are as accurate as they can possibly be without mints putting individual serial numbers or micro dots on coins for tracking purposes but with a bug attraction of gold coins being anonymity, I doubt any mint will take this drastic step. 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

PCGS make their Crossover numbers available on their website.

https://www.pcgs.com/statistics/

In the last 12 months PCGS have graded 3,826,363 coins and have "Attempted" Grading 31,695 Crossovers of which 14,614 were successful.

Looking at the numbers, just under 1% of all the coins that were submitted were Crossovers and less than 0.5% of the yearly Grading was successful.

That makes the Population Report about 99% accurate if I have my sums right.

Allowing for some error margin I would still say about 95% accurate.

I believe that the only number in the pop reports that is as close to accurate as there is is the grade of 70 - cause no one would resubmit a coin graded 70 - so you only need to worry about crossovers at that grade - all other population reports are worthless and suspect in my opinion. 

I tend to use the population reports as a guide to determine whether to buy or to upgrade a coin.

For example I would not buy a coin raw or graded at the AU58/MS61 level if there were quite a few recorded at NGC and PCGS at MS64 or higher as this would suggest I would better saving my money as a higher grade example will come along at some point.

As a result I have bought coins at AU53 as the reports suggest that there maybe just a single coin at AU55 meaning it could be a very long time, if ever, before a UNC raw coin appears - if it does I will have a good idea of how rare that is and I can justify paying a premium. 

Prices of a coin in different grades are also useful in deciding is it worth it. I have a coin in MS62 which I paid £300 for, there is a single coin higher at either TPG at MS64 and it will be in an auction soon and the estimate is £6000-£8000 so I will stay very happy with my MS62? (I don't think a 2 point jump in grade is always worth it as that could easily be the difference in opinion and will depend on the actual coin and not the number on the slab - as it always should)

I too look at the Population Reports as a guide to the higher grades on older coins.
I look for value and affordability but I like to get as high as I can.
I have a couple of single finest and a number within the top 10 graded and recently I have been trying to upgrade my stack.
Not always easy but as you say if you wait long enough then something is likely to turn up.
I had a problem buying too much without concentrating on quality. Fortunately the tablets have now kicked in!

1 hour ago, Agpanda said:

I have done some crosssover from PCGS to NGC with MS70 coins

I realy want all of them to match

Lately I started to stack PCGS MS70 as well, but still prefer NGC

I now have all MS70 2006-2017 in PCGS

I think you need help;)

Is there a branch of Panda Anonymous near you?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived