• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

$20,500 Gothic Florin

JohnA

31 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Awful toning but superb coin and pretty rare. I honestly don't know why some people rave over this type of "rainbow" toning. Give me a nice gun metal/pewter to slight brown look anyday.

Can this type of rainbow toning be applied artificially?

As has been mentioned Atlas are very expensive and tend to focus only on the top graded coins. I have been outbid a number of times only to see the coin then appear on their website with a serious premium added - having said that they must sell plenty at these prices to stay in business so it obviously works for them! 

9 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Yes it can, chemically with electrosis 

Will it remove luster or generally dull coin. And can it be detected? I want to avoid this.

1 hour ago, JohnAnsink said:

Can this type of rainbow toning be applied artificially?

And isn't it highly susceptible to "fashion"?  I mean why is this sort of toning desirable against a clean specimen of the coin design.  Have rainbow tones always been considered acceptable, and not tarnishing?

31 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Why would a 100+ year old coin be clean, it should take some form of tone/tarnish over that period of time, i'd be more worried about a clean coin rather one that has tone. Americans love the rainbow coloured stuff, i prefer to see something with some tone forming or already formed over it's lifetime, although in modern coins this isn't acceptable, but theoretically it should happen eventually

Accept that toning happens of course, would "cleaner" be better?  Like the second example in the thread.  The question is why is rainbow style toning desirable and will this fade.

58 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Unlikely to see artificial toning on old numismatics, except perhaps common one like Morgans. Gawdy toning seems to be the domain of some US collectors.

48 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

Why would a 100+ year old coin be clean, it should take some form of tone/tarnish over that period of time, i'd be more worried about a clean coin rather one that has tone. Americans love the rainbow coloured stuff, i prefer to see something with some tone forming or already formed over it's lifetime, although in modern coins this isn't acceptable, but theoretically it should happen eventually

Riiiight...us American collectors. Same way it's an American collector phenomenon/obsession for TPG but not the European collectors??? Us American collectors just hope someday a coloring book and jigsaw puzzle will come with every coin purchase...where's my helmet?

meyers.gif.7d9e9dd435013f55d5117138f9e2b6f0.gif

I just picked this up a week or so ago...no color, no rainbow, no Dorothy. Let's not make generalizations, hmm.

1900Florin.jpg.c0d0803b98f672054dbf6da0a152d0b5.jpg.a28cb90c68193970bb0592288e4eab58.jpg

Just now, sovereignsteve said:

Some..................;)

How about just some collectors? I'd bet today's lunch money that the love of "gaudy" rainbow toning isn't exclusive to this side of the pond...

I responded only because if I didn't, there'd probably be some Forum members that would walk away from this post thinking, "Wow, I didn't know it was really only Americans that are into rainbow toning" (see other comment referenced). It's happened before.

28 minutes ago, Jester said:

I'd bet today's lunch money that the love of "gaudy" rainbow toning isn't exclusive to this side of the pond...

Well I can only speak from my experience, which is that I've only ever heard or seen collectors in the US actually wanting toning of any description, let alone rainbow. Although to be fair, most serious collectors of old numismatics either like a bit of natural toning for it's own sake or like to see it to help reassure the coin hasn't been cleaned.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

You say potato - I say potato - it all comes down to what a collector collects - some like toning - some like shiny - however, eye appeal does factor into a coins grade - and that can be subjective and I am sure that there are collectors on both sides of the pond that will argue over what gives a coin eye appeal.

Archived