• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

MrGeorge

What do you stack and why ?

Recommended Posts

Looking to find out why people stack certain metals. I thought i only wanted to stack gold and I currently only own gold. Now im starting to think maybe i should get some silver also, after reading silver might actually be very undervalued the now. So what do other people buy and at what ratio ? I think i would maybe like to have a 100g silver bar for every 1oz gold coin i buy. Also is there any people who only stack one metal and wont buy others ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Xander said:

I'm a bit like yourself with the gold, however, I recently bought two 100g Silver bars from BYB, very nice indeed. Not sure if he has any of that batch left.

I have got some left 😉

As to what and why...it is going to be different for everyone. I invest in gold for the long term (pension in 30 years time) as a way to preserve wealth. Bricks and gold are the best ways to do this so a small proportion goes to gold for me.

As to silver...I also have pension stacks in silver but not as much as gold in terms of £ value. The majority of the silver I have will eventually be liquidated into gold (when the ratio comes down).

Ultimate goal is to have 80% + of my precious metal pension as bullion gold and silver that can be liquidated quickly for spot and the other 20% as numismatics that might require a few extra months to find the right buyers.the majority of the latter I see being silver rather than gold.

9 hours ago, montesf1030 said:

Love silver Bullion of all kind ... Got Government issue silver, generic and Love Poured Silver!!!

If you love poured silver I have some of the 100g Silver Forum Bars available still!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BackyardBullion said:

I have got some left 😉

As to what and why...it is going to be different for everyone. I invest in gold for the long term (pension in 30 years time) as a way to preserve wealth. Bricks and gold are the best ways to do this so a small proportion goes to gold for me.

As to silver...I also have pension stacks in silver but not as much as gold in terms of £ value. The majority of the silver I have will eventually be liquidated into gold (when the ratio comes down).

Ultimate goal is to have 80% + of my precious metal pension as bullion gold and silver that can be liquidated quickly for spot and the other 20% as numismatics that might require a few extra months to find the right buyers.the majority of the latter I see being silver rather than gold.

If you love poured silver I have some of the 100g Silver Forum Bars available still!

If you have some of the 100g bars left I'll take another three, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do prefer gold and more so sovereigns. I have got some silver because I do like the qb collection so have the 2oz and 10oz one's and some byb bars. I like the many different types of sovereign s and it's just the right size and cost there so near to spot and when needed to sell there very easy to sell. I didn't start off with this plan til I joined this group lol. And also worked out the buy it price of lots of different coins bars etc and then the price if needed to sell them and sovereign s came out very good it's no wonder there so popular with lots of people on here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm probably unlike most here in that I don't 'Stack' I am into Numismatics now having drifted there from Silver stacking at its height in 2011-12. £35 an ounce... ouch.

I guess that's lying as I am stacking in a way but i'd rather get a slabbed gold double eagle these days than 4 tubes of Britannias.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit of both for me, I don't stack I just buy the stuff I like. For silver, I get the yearly Perth mint lunar 2 series in 1/2, 1 and 2 oz coins, a maple, panda and Somali elephant. I am thinking about getting the Rwanda lunar series but not to sure yet, my plan is to get rid of the other silver coins / bars I have so I only have a few series to collect. For gold, I started with everything I liked but I am starting to focus more on sovereigns now, mainly 1 from each mint and monarch but I might try and get a date run going, maybe King Edward sovs but not to sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sovereigns and 1oz silver coins.

I think I got hooked in by Mike Maloney and similar sellers but see it as a small bit of insurance rather than 'the next big thing'. I love the history of sovereigns, the colour, the weight and getting something tangible for my work. I'm a programmer and have for a long time felt like a small cog in a big system. Having some shiny things strangely makes me feel better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/15/2017 at 17:06, metallica73 said:

I'm probably unlike most here in that I don't 'Stack' I am into Numismatics now having drifted there from Silver stacking at its height in 2011-12. £35 an ounce... ouch.

I guess that's lying as I am stacking in a way but i'd rather get a slabbed gold double eagle these days than 4 tubes of Britannias.

 

100% agreed. I'm very much a collector rather than a stacker, I may drift slightly into the latter camp when I get a lucky dip sovereign (the ones I don't like will be the first to be chopped!) but i'd sooner have a nice variety of interesting coins than ranks of identical examples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.jpeg.60dd5a46e107733ef02a7bb0fbd7d3fb.jpegHi, 

i collect PMs . Not silver but I have collection, definitely not a stack, across Au, Pd, Pt and Rh. I think it's a collection not a stack as I would be loathe to trade, but not completely . It's just not my plan 

I started abt 5 years ago when I had an idea for a present for my wife & made a small corner of the Periodic table with actual bars. Then I bought some for me but I still have not worked a best way to display. 

What I like is that I have something rare and pure. That got me interested & I have picked up bars and coins across the last 5 years. The coins are nice but it's the intrinsic pure metal I like. 

My kids think it's weird but they don't collect anything so how would they know. 

Its interesting & I keep a close eye on the forum to see what comes up but not too much beyond Au, Ag and occasional Pt 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cliveb13 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.60dd5a46e107733ef02a7bb0fbd7d3fb.jpegHi, 

i collect PMs . Not silver but I have collection, definitely not a stack, across Au, Pd, Pt and Rh. I think it's a collection not a stack as I would be loathe to trade, but not completely . It's just not my plan 

I started abt 5 years ago when I had an idea for a present for my wife & made a small corner of the Periodic table with actual bars. Then I bought some for me but I still have not worked a best way to display. 

What I like is that I have something rare and pure. That got me interested & I have picked up bars and coins across the last 5 years. The coins are nice but it's the intrinsic pure metal I like. 

My kids think it's weird but they don't collect anything so how would they know. 

Its interesting & I keep a close eye on the forum to see what comes up but not too much beyond Au, Ag and occasional Pt 

 

Man that is one damn expensive display there... Will definitely do one once I have 4500 quid to spare.... Thanks for the idea tho! Btw gold is not a platinoid;)

Edited by HyHy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now