• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Loupes

Just wondering what loupes people use. I'm using a Zeiss D40 but could really do with something a lot larger lens, any suggestions?

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Love the size of the lens of the one @Roy posted, not sure if it's just a small frame though. Specifically i'm looking for a larger lens so i can look over a whole sovereign under magnification and then focus on specific areas if needed (more clarity in centre of lens)

Just noticed mine is 13mm and Roy's is 18mm, so that helps :D

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

I need a new loupe myself.

I'm not an expert at all but my tip for any newbie's that might be reading this topic is don't get the loupe to close to the coin as they're easily scratched.

Also if checking coins outside of capsules hold your breath and then breath away from the coin.

Moisture from the nose and mouth can make a coin look all spotty and pretty awlful.

I only use a loupe while coins are inside capsule's or flips. 

If I take coins outside of capsule's or flips I take high resolution picture's on different angles and lighting that I can zoom into later to look for imperfections etc.

It's worth the extra effort to keep your best coins looking nice.

I have a reasonably cheap belomo which is of decent quality (much better than those far eastern things) and use a larger cheap eschenbach magnifier with light for quick inspections.  I also have a stereozoom microscope for much closer examination.

15 hours ago, Murph said:

I have a reasonably cheap belomo which is of decent quality (much better than those far eastern things) and use a larger cheap eschenbach magnifier with light for quick inspections.  I also have a stereozoom microscope for much closer examination.

Belomo + 1

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

On 18/10/2017 at 03:26, Murph said:

What microscope do you have?

My first Google came up with a Zeiss digital stereozoom, now that piece of kit would be fantastic for overdate inspection, but it says "call for price" which is always a worry :D

https://www.zeiss.co.uk/microscopy/website/clp/gad/smartzoom/szm/smartzoom-5-digital-microscope.htm

The Gold Sovereign

Kind of like https://www.ebay.com/itm/Leica-StereoZoom-4-Microscope-with-Stand-and-Eyepiece-Set-31-15-74-Used-Working-/382197973071?epid=1108120536&hash=item58fcc6404f:g:zIQAAOSw-GFZldkM

but the stand is slightly different and comes with illumination which can be removed and placed in its own adjustable stand as well.

It's also the Bausch and Lomb model, not that there is a difference as Leica bought the rights and started badging them under their own name.

Very reasonably priced secondhand for the quality.  If you see a Wild stereo microscope for a reasonable price I'd go for that over these Stereozooms but I think these can beat any of the modern Chinese made scopes while often costing less.

• 2 months later...

Archived