• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2018 Kookaburra and RAM Silver Kangaroo

Pete

Just noted that the 2018 Kangaroos from the Royal Australian Mint are becoming available around mid October from German suppliers EMK and Aurinum.
I've just pre-ordered.
Both suppliers are offering the regular capped coin as well as the collectible blister card versions.
In my experience these coins never seem to become any cheaper in time so got my order placed right away.

Also from the Perth Mint the annual Kookaburra can be pre-ordered.

1-Unze-Silber-Kangaroo-Seasons-Change-2018-Australien-in-Kapsel-RAM.thumb.jpg.431a02a7b9a3e4b7ab6096ac5401e467.jpg1-Unze-Silber-Kangaroo-Seasons-Change-2018-Australien-im-Blister-RAM.thumb.jpg.85d2b3f49de3746cfe8c1add06283ddb.jpg1-Unze-Silber-Kookaburra-2018-Australien.thumb.jpg.8df146d33f30da8ceb4dcc96d6fc0f1a.jpg

Did you notice the RAM Kanagaroo mintage numbers for this year have been cut by 50%?  2017, (as was 2016,) was 10k

If this is correct, 2018 is going to be the lowest mint run since the inception of the series in 1993. This is even lower than the rare  2007 and 2008 versions, albeit 2007 did have the two different card versions

Time to fill me boots me thinkest!!!.............. As you say the price never goes down on these

59d522d36f17e_2017RAM.JPG.afd443b30bca19d7551393e68011c451.JPG

I bought some of the Roos today in a joint order from EMK with @Oystonout, mainly capsules but a few in cards. This is my first set of these coins so I'm excited and very interested to see them indeed :)

@Pete many thanks for the heads up!

@ArthGoch this year is 5000 in capsules and 5000 in the cards. Isn't that the same overall mintage as the last two years?

11 hours ago, kimchi said:

I bought some of the Roos today in a joint order from EMK with @Oystonout, mainly capsules but a few in cards. This is my first set of these coins so I'm excited and very interested to see them indeed :)

@Pete many thanks for the heads up!

@ArthGoch this year is 5000 in capsules and 5000 in the cards. Isn't that the same overall mintage as the last two years?

HI Kimchi 

If you look at the back of the screenshot that Pete uplifted this shows the mintage as 5k for 2018. What I cut and pasted is the same details but for the 2017 issue and with this being 10k. Thus the assumption that there has been a reduction of 50% and is 5k in total 

That said, the RAM then contradict themselves on their own web page and where they say  both 10k and 5k

https://eshop.ramint.gov.au/Kangaroo-Series-–-Seasons-Change-Silver-Frosted/311027.aspx

As per 2017 the stated numbers were shown as the same in both the description as well as the table. That said the table describes these as proofs, while the overall title say BU. ?????

https://eshop.ramint.gov.au/Kangaroo-Series-Seasons-Change-Silver-Frosted/310917.aspx

Confused? Iam 

Similarly what is shown below is taken directly from the EMK site = thus 5k in total? 

EMK.JPG.59ac2ce7b681252ec7015c846d78ad6c.JPG

I know from 2009 to 2015 the total for each year was 20k, thus it is possible that from 2017 the RAM have started to show the mintage numbers divisible by carded and uncarded issues

I have sent an email to RAM to ask for clarity and confirmation on the numbers for both 2017 and 2018 - If I get anything back I will post it here

The RAM Roos are a lovely series to collect and for those interested there are pictures for every year shown in the Photos Only section of the forum.
Warning to anyone thinking about collecting the date run ( 1993 - present ) there are a couple of rare and pretty expensive years viz. 2007 and 2008.
Some of the coins mid 2000 can also be relatively pricey but the earliest 1993 is amongst one of the cheapest probably because of its higher than average mintage.

The mintage figures I copied from the web are shown below:

1993 77,853
1994 47,496
1995 75,350
1996 49,398
1997 72,850
1998 49,398
1999 49,398
2000 42,638
2001 45,562
2002 32,376
2003 35,230
2004 55,057
2005 26,146
2006 25,535
2007 8,598
2008 6,802
2009 20,000
2010 20,000
2011 20,000
2012 20,000
2013 20,000
2014 20,000
2015 20,000
2016 20,000

33 minutes ago, kimchi said:

@Pete @ArthGoch so 5000 or 10000 (tbc!) do you think this coin's a winner?

Who can tell but it costs more than double many other bullion coins; and that's pre-ordering.
Once you collect a date-run you have no choice but to hand over the fiat almost regardless of the price. :lol::D

@kimchi and @Oystonout  Not sure if you are aware, but there are also for '93, '94 and '95 addition Coin Fair Show specials and which are in addition to the published mintages

For '93 this was a run of 5k and then reducing to 2.5k for the other two years. The coin's design remains the same, but they came in special con fair blister packaging and one year they came in a clamshell box/COA. Sometimes these are listed as normal coins, so it is worth keeping an eye open for them because they do command a premium, albeit small, over the normal run and are a must to complete the series run 

For the 2007 I picked the following up from a web page way back, and just uploaded this to my database.  Not certain of its provenance or where it came from, but may give you an understanding to why there is 2 x packaging produced for that year

THIS WAS MINTED BY THE ROYAL AUSTRALIAN MINT WITH A LOW MINTAGE OF JUST 8,598 COINS
THIS COIN IS ON THE ORIGINAL "GLOBAL PROMOTIONS" CARD AND IN THE ORIGINAL MINT CAPSULE OF ISSUE
FOR THOSE NOT FAMILIAR WITH THESE COINS, THERE WERE TWO VERSIONS ON THE CARD FOR THIS YEAR
BOTH VERSIONS ARE ORIGINAL, BUT NEITHER WAS ACTUALLY OFFICIALLY DONE BY THE ROYAL AUSTRALIAN MINT
THE MINT DISTRIBUTED THESE COINS AND THE DISTRIBUTORS ARE THE ONES WHO DECIDED ON THE CARD
THE ONE SEEN HERE IS DONE BY GLOBAL PROMOTIONS IN THE USA AND IS MORE COMMON TO THE USA
THE OTHER VERSION WAS DONE BY DOWNIES IN AUSTRALIA AND IS MORE COMMON IN AUSTRALIA
BOTH VERSIONS ARE ORIGINAL, BUT THEY DO VARY BY WHERE YOU BOUGHT THE COIN
THE ROYAL AUSTRALIAN MINT DID NOT OFFICIALLY RELEASE EITHER CARDED VERSION OF THE 2007 COIN

Numismatic folklore also states that potentially other dealer made there own blister packs at the time. I know that in the photo section MaxShiraz posted what appears to be 'an offical -unoffical blister '.

One final tip! - If you are serious about retrospectively getting a date run, make sure to log on directly to the Ebay Germany site ( www.ebay.de) The Germans have actively collected the series, particularly the blister packs, and I have found the prices/availability to be better than what is found on the .com or .uk sites. 

Once RAM have confirmed the mintage I will posted it on here

Cheers!

@ArthGoch

I'm collecting the capsules only not the carded ones and have a nice box from Morezone to store them in.

I have seen the 2007 & 2008 "proof" (not seen bullion) for £99 and £69 respectively. I think both proofs are 20k mintage. Is that a bad price considering?

I will check the eBay.de out but is there anyway to translate text?

Cheers

A couple of questions for anyone in the know!

1) Has the series always had such a big premium at issue price, or is it something that crept in, or was introduced after a particular year saw interest leap?

2) Any idea of the popularity of the carded ones versus capsules?

Cheers!

@ArthGoch 93,94,95 coin fair specials are inclusive of the mintage figures shown in Pete's mintage list.

Also to anyone contemplating collecting the series I wouldn't get too hung up about the show specials they make no more or less than the standard carded version.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

@Oystonout Mintage for 2007 proof is10,352 & 2008 is 7500, price for 2007 proof has dropped a lot since paedophile  Rolf Harris got jailed.

Though strangely the carded version has not suffered the same fate, I put that down to bigger a collector base & it is no big deal in Germany who are the biggest collectors of the carded version.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

49 minutes ago, Oystonout said:

@ArthGoch

I will check the eBay.de out but is there anyway to translate text?

Cheers

HI Oystonont - Some  if not all web browsers have an auto translate function to translate so you should be ok.

Also a lot of the German dealers have bilingual descriptions. Failing that cut and paste into a translator! 

Enjoy 

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

A couple of questions for anyone in the know!

1) Has the series always had such a big premium at issue price, or is it something that crept in, or was introduced after a particular year saw interest leap?

2) Any idea of the popularity of the carded ones versus capsules?

Cheers!

I believe the large premium is quite recent but how many years ago it started I'm not sure.
The carded coins seem to be more popular with the Germans mainly and I think they are lovely to collect in this form.
The card should be supplied in a clear plastic protective sleeve but no doubt this could be missing on some sales.
The coin is capsulated and sealed to the card as well.

So it looks as if the 2018 in "wine terms" is a real vintage year looking at the mintage charts below and comparing with rare 2007 and 2008.
Note - my chart is based on published data and I cannot be 100% certain of the source accuracies - so open to corrections.

59db90d97be4f_ScreenShot2017-10-09at16_06_27.thumb.png.d182efccefcbe6f90af3f9523f9eecf4.png

It'd be interesting to know the 'split' between cards and capsules. If it was 50/50 and you bought two rolls of caps (50?) you'd have a reasonable share of the market :o

Tempted to add a few more to the pre-order as EMK prices haven't gone up yet, but that said (and I am completely new to these) the huge mintage drop from the peak, and the keener carded market make me less inclined to the caps...and the premium on these...:wacko:

On 7 October 2017 at 14:37, motorbikez said:

You tube video I did nearly 2 years ago.

Nice video thanks

I am looking at buying a BU Roo capsules only collection that's incomplete but includes both 2007&2008. If not carded how do I know which 2007 version the coin is? Does it really matter. 

Also are the capsules in the carded version the same capsules as non carded. All mine (caps only) have that prominent wide rim apart from some of my proofs which look slimmer ( if that makes sense)

Thank you 

Archived