• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Britannia proof sets

airmac

I was hoping for some information feedback. I was browsing through eBay looking at proof britannias and I noticed that quite often the 1 oz proof was charged at the same price as the set or more. The sets seem to be able to get mostly around the 200 € Mark. How come is the 1 piece as expensive as a whole set? And generally speaking buying sets averaging 200€ is that on ok deal or bad? This all came to me on eBay and would appreciate any insights

I wouldn't say that it happens that often but for some years the 1oz will be over £120, or nearer the price of a set.  Maybe 1997 and 2005.  Also there were no proof sets in 2004 or 2006 (there was a gold plated set in 2006 but the standalone 1oz was not gold-plated) so the standalone 1oz carries a premium in those years.   

It could be sellers simply trying to sell at a higher price, you need to check the history of sold listings to see realised prices.

18 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

Yes:)

You can get them quite reasonably on ebay if you're patient.

I guess 50 quid for an ounce 2017 or graded 90 pounds :D  ...... such a out standing design 

MY TOTAL FORUM TRADE FEEDBACK IS 100 AND IT IS 100%

I think I started with the 4 coin sets as I had a full run of bullion brits and wanted a 1997 proof to go with them but people were asking silly money for the singles. The sets were a lot cheaper and to me better value, you get exactly the same 1oz coin in the set as boxed singly.;) It just kinda grew from there:D

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I have had two very bad experiences with the 1997 4 coin Britannia silver proof sets purchased on eBay.

In both instances, paying the going rate bidding to the very last seconds, the coins were badly marked despite the sellers describing perfect condition.
Coins had clearly been handled outside their capsules with greasy finger prints and some attempts at rubbing them off with a handkerchief.

Both purchases some months apart tested the eBay / PayPal resolution centres to their limits but took many hours of my time in great frustration.

I also have seen the 1997 1 ounce Britannia sell for more than the 4 coins set so logic defies me but I assume you are buying a nice coin in its own box but is it really worth it ?

Fortunately I have a few 4 coin proof sets and very pleased with the set I purchased on this forum.

What would be the "right" price for the Britannia 2014 6 coin set or for a single 1oz according to you ? I question myself about the futur valorisation of these, already flipped, coins

I sometimes see them around 500£/600£ (set) or 350£ /450£ (1oz)...Does it worth it ? seems a lot of money to me, even for this key year

I have also seen a 5oz graded PF 70 but milk spoted. Bids starting at around 800£...Seller tells that it was already milk spotted when graded by NGC...So what could it worth really ?? 

Thank you for your insights and advices

1 hour ago, Frenchie said:

I have also seen a 2014 5oz graded PF 70 but milk spoted. Bids starting at around 800£...Seller tells that it was already milk spotted when graded by NGC...So what could it worth really ?? 

Arshimo2012 told me that they are pretty much all spotted. If you like the design then you will have to put up with the spots. Btw. the deep relief makes the 5oz stand out over over sizes. The last auction went for $2,450 but with the admitted spots it might go for $2,000 instead...

7 hours ago, Frenchie said:

What would be the "right" price for the Britannia 2014 6 coin set or for a single 1oz according to you ? I question myself about the futur valorisation of these, already flipped, coins

As always, the "right price" is what you or anyone else will pay for it. Supply and demand. They are popular now but will this continue is anyone's guess. One thing is certain, they aren't making any more and with spotting/accidental damage, good ones will only get rarer.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived