• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buy 1/2 Sov or Crown 1887

JohnA

I have a dilemma. I want to get these two coins. But I can only afford one this month. Is it harder to come across a nice 1/2 Sov or a nice Crown :)

I think maybe the 1/2 Sov is in better cond. Hard to tell by the pics.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

1 minute ago, sovereignsteve said:

Depends entirely on price. personally I think the crown is in slightly better nick but not much in it. The1887 crowns are very common though.

A good crown seems hard to find on eBay. I like the details in this one.

I have a Farthing, 1/2 Penny, Penny, 3 Pence, two different 6 Pence, Shilling, Florin, Half Crown. 

If I get these two, will I only be missing the Full Sov? Or are there other denominations?

Also, I am selling all my odd coins, except for some sets. I am just gonna get these 1887. Sov next then start on Proof Silver.

15 minutes ago, JohnAnsink said:

I have a Farthing, 1/2 Penny, Penny, 3 Pence, two different 6 Pence, Shilling, Florin, Half Crown. 

If I get these two, will I only be missing the Full Sov? Or are there other denominations?

Also, I am selling all my odd coins, except for some sets. I am just gonna get these 1887. Sov next then start on Proof Silver.

There was also a double florin in 1887. Still technically legal tender too. Here's mine in not great condition

IMG_20170929_172126.jpg

IMG_20170929_172134.jpg

28 minutes ago, JohnAnsink said:

yes, double florin but also double and quintuple sovereigns :D The latter two are a nightmare, you see more fakes than real ones.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

4 hours ago, JohnAnsink said:

Anyone want to have a guess at the prices?

I don't know what they are priced at but I can tell you what I think they're worth.

1887 half sov (assuming common variety) - bad photos so guess grade at VF to gVF  £125 - 150

1887 crown gVF to aEF  £60 - 80

4 minutes ago, Murph said:

I wish I could pick up jubilee half sovs at £125.  Back when gold was cheaper, before you know what, it wasn't hard but not so much now.

10% premium for a VF, probably lowest price but can still be had occasionally. Would be closer to 150 most of the time.

2 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I would buy the crown, you should be able to get a slightly better example of the HS for that price.

I did buy the Crown...but also I'll be getting the Sov next week. I was able to afford it.

8 hours ago, Jay2 said:

I think they called that coin 'the barmaid's grief' because of how close it was to the slightly larger crown.

I found one...same dealer as Crown
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-BRITAIN-Double-Florin-1887-SILVER-KM-763-XF-Better-/292119835436?hash=item4403b2f32c

I think I'll get this and look for a 1/2 sov next month. Double Florins are probably more rare on the market.

How can I tell the difference between a Florin and Double and Half Crown, just by looking without in hand?

Untitled.jpg

Untitled.jpg

10 hours ago, JohnAnsink said:

How can I tell the difference between a Florin and Double and Half Crown, just by looking without in hand?

The half crown is easy, its a different design.

From Tony Claytons website where the pictures have been resized to the same scale... the Double Florin at the top - the D in 'Dei' is much closer to the crown and the ornaments on top of the sceptres are also larger.

2010916_Brit2s4sComparison.JPG.23ac0195a677ebf04f7b2add7be85284.JPG

Archived