• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Rwanda Lunar Dog silver proof or gold ?

Frenchie

The title says all... looking at Rooster prices don't you think that the silver proof is a better deal for flipping than the BU gold (compared to original prices Silver  proof x 3,6 times (around 250€) and gold around 2,20 times around 3500€ if I am correct) ? maybe also easier to sell the silver proof than the Gold BU ? 

What do you think of the Lunar Dog with a mintage climbing to 188, compared to the same mintage for the silver proof (seems to stay at 1000 coins) 

Thank you for your advices and experience 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

The title says all... looking at Rooster prices don't you think that the silver proof is a better deal for flipping than the BU gold (compared to original prices Silver  proof x 3,6 times (around 250€) and gold around 2,20 times around 3500€ if I am correct) ? maybe also easier to sell the silver proof than the Gold BU ? 

What do you think of the Lunar Dog with a mintage climbing to 188, compared to the same mintage for the silver proof (seems to stay at 1000 coins) 

If we all knew this we would be millionaires ;)

I would imagine that the dog will still be popular but as to the huge premiums we have seen on the Rooster - probably not as much but likely still a decent increase if you managed to get one at issue price. 

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

I have my budget defined for the Rwanda Lunar Dog. I think this complete line will be a total winner. Looking at the Rwanda Lunar Rooster prices and given the fact that the mintage of the Dog will not be more, i don't see any risk and only potential for this coin. For me the silver coins are easier to swap and more affordable for my budget ;) 

51 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Can I ask where you got this information from? Love the rooster and keen on getting the dog! Thanks! :D

Unfortunately, I can't give the information as I forgot  the seller's name who opened presales on the Rwanda Dog. If I remenber correctly, it 's a German seller and the Gold BU Dog was on presale at 1750€, with a mintage indicated at 188 coins, I don't remember the  presale price for the  silver proof but the indicated mintage  was 1000 coins.

Maybe someone on the forum will have the information  

14 minutes ago, Sal said:

Don't be surprised if the silver proof goes  up in mintage to some number that includes the lucky number 8. Maybe 1888 ? Or a worst case scenario 8888.

I can't imagine the mint  to shoot itself  in the foot with  such a politic. Customers would feel betrayed and it would kill instantly  their credibility and the series (Lunar, Nautical, and those to come)

On the contrary I think they are smart enough to go in the right direction

Have milk spots affected anyone's Rwanda proof as of yet - I didn't and won't be buying any Rwanda proofs having been caught before with there issues.

I have two proof elephants and a zebra all three show milk spotting and one of the Elle's is a shocker - 30% of the front covered in milk - maybe I am unlucky or just not storing these correctly but it's put me off proofs for good.

Hope you all have better luck than me.

2 hours ago, Sal said:

So they almost doubled the number of gold bu's from 100 to 188 so the correct numberer the silver proofs will be close to double.  1888 sounds about right.

I think we will not have to wait long anymore to find out. I guess in the coming or the week after the new coin will be introduced? 

3 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Found the seller in Germany (but no pictures :mellow:)

https://www.kettner-edelmetalle.de/index.php?fc=module&module=gc_epoq&controller=Search#/q/rwanda

1750€ the gold BU and 95€ the silver proof

Goldsiver seems to confirm these mintages, at least for the gold BU

A forum member advised already that the dealer might not get the amount of coins he is selling. If you want to part with your money on the risk that the dealer cannot fulfill your order...

5 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

Kettner is going to be getting a slapped wrist for his early pre sale and the grapevine has been whispering that they might cut the amount they give him.

I would wait as he is about €250 expensive. 

Good

5 hours ago, shortstack68 said:

Those coins aren't made by the same people, the Lunar series is done by someone else. I've not had any issues with the Lunar proofs

Are you referring to the early issues - Gorilla etc or the Rooster on

5 minutes ago, shortstack68 said:

The Rooster didn't take off for quite a few weeks when it was released. I think shadowstack has a video up just now on it 

Maybe so - But it had eye appeal - Do you think this does.

It will probably go well but it sure is fugly

I don't like the look of the Dog. There seems to be mixed views on this so I suspect this will do well due only to the low mintage and hype. That's probably enough to maintain it's price going forward. 

As someone new to the hobby I;d appreciate hearing from anyone on what the Rwanda Mints reputation had been prior to the hype around the Rooster. Where they popular and how is their quality ?

Always been popular coins - Early BU issues had a mintage of 5000 but have increased from the cheetah or maybe impala not sure.

I have commented before about the proofs as I have had issues with milking but maybe unlucky as there are plenty around with no issues and @shortstack68 has mentioned that the lunars are minted by a different company and so far have no issues.

The BU rooster has an unlimited mintage and are sold at a premium.  I really like the rooster and since it’s the first issue it has that going for it.  For me the dog not so much.

Archived