• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What should I do with sealed tubes of 2018 Perth Roos?

kimchi

I've just received my first purchase of a couple of tubes of Perth Roos, which are sealed with the Mint's security tape.

I know they're 'only' the most basic bullion but I don't know whether I should open them or not (?)

Obviously the space at the top of the tubes (I don't know why they're designed like that!) mean that they've rattled around in the post to some extent.

They're from a trusted company (STG) so I don't feel I need to check what's in them. I'm not particularly bothered about seeing the coins.

They're going into sealed storage with plenty of dessicant packs and anti tarnish strips. I hear Roos are more likely to spot than the premium Perth coins like the Kooks though, so it might be nice to actually put some in the tubes.

On the other hand there was a sale on here recently where tubes of Roos sold to the buyer because they were sealed!

I guess that way the buyer knows that you haven't 'cobbled together' a tube of e.g. all your worst coins of the same type, however on here I would expect a seller to make that a very clear part of the description, 'For Sale - Tube of Milky Brits' etc.

So, to open or not to open?

16 minutes ago, mondy41 said:

I wouldn't open them - these are and probably will always be just bullion with no numismatic value.

I'm certain they will be (that's all I bought them for), but given that fact, what's the difference in opening them or not?

I don't think it makes any difference as I believe some will spot either way however I would be interested in a unopened tube as to an opened one - But TBH cant say why:huh:

The sale you mentioned would have sold either opened or unopened @ £15oz if that's the one I am thinking off.

2 minutes ago, mondy41 said:

I don't think it makes any difference as I believe some will spot either way however I would be interested in a unopened tube as to an opened one - But TBH cant say why:huh:

The sale you mentioned would have sold either opened or unopened @ £15oz if that's the one I am thinking off.

Thanks for the sentiment that you'd be more interested in unopened but can't say why, it doesn't help much but it's very interesting to hear!

I'm sure we're thinking of the same thread but they took a while to sell and the eventual buyer in that case (like you) said they'd take them if they were unopened. There didn't seem to be much other interest.

As a seller I guess my best protection (other than only selling to folks I know well) would be to open them first as well as (the usual) video packaging up and posting as well. But on the other hand if I know they're milked I would have to say so, whereas if I have taken all possible precautions my end but left it sealed it's down to the buyer.

Or does basically the potential small premium difference between milked or unknown coins not matter at all and I'm over-thinking it?

{"

8 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Thanks for the sentiment that you'd be more interested in unopened but can't say why, it doesn't help much but it's very interesting to hear - I suppose not:D

It would be easier for you to sell as a tube - saves time on handling and postage. 

The sale of the roos went fairly quickly(within 2hrs)  - the original listing was listed months before and resurrected and price amended to reflect current spot rice.  Its all about price here IMO  - there are people on here who will buy milky silver if the price is right.

4 minutes ago, mondy41 said:

{"

It would be easier for you to sell as a tube - saves time on handling and postage. 

The sale of the roos went fairly quickly(within 2hrs)  - the original listing was listed months before and resurrected and price amended to reflect current spot rice.  Its all about price here IMO  - there are people on here who will buy milky silver if the price is right.

Who knows what'll happen with price, but yes I'm only expecting to sell as a tube if I ever do, I just think it'd make more sense to protect the coins (padding, anti tarnish, dessicant) inside the tube as well as out but I guess if folks prefer sealed tubes (and I can understand perhaps some suspicion if sealed tubes are opened) I'll go with that, thanks! :)

1 minute ago, airmac said:

Well if you figuring on selling as a tube only I would leave sealed. Since as far as I heard lots of people prefere sealed as that prevents previous owner from cherry picking

That makes sense, thanks! I may do something else if the price of silver skyrockets of course lol but you gotta plan for the 'worst case' imo.

I guess out of two tubes there are bound to be some scratched (perhaps already), milked whatever by the time to sell. If people would rather risk more scratching because of the space in the tubes during postage to them, than have me telling them the condition of the coins beforehand (which is what I'd expect from any seller) then their loss perhaps :wacko:

I only wish the four tubes of milky, scratched up Britannias from Bullionbypost (Grade A!) I bought before learning about VAT free silver from Europe were Mint sealed, then I'd never know and might get a slightly better price for them when/if I choose to sell LOL :D

1 minute ago, HawkHybrid said:

do stg still break the seal to add padding inside the

tube to help protect the coins during delivery?

HH

No they haven't with these two tubes, they arrived rattling around.

The 'funny' thing is I've just noticed one Mint seal has enough 'give' in it so I can actually open it enough to have a look at the top coin. So I can still do that and say it's Mint sealed (if I noticed a problem with the top coin I would never do that, I'd open them up).

Makes the whole thing utterly meaningless imho, ya gotta laugh! :D

All my tubes of various coins purchased from new had the seals broken to insert a polystyrene packing bean to prevent rattling around in shipping.

I removed this packing because in years to come there is a high probability that something will have leached out of the plastic to damage or stain the top coin and most others rims.
The unopened tubes were Royal Mint tubes of Brits and Mexican Libertads ( that were in cardboard tubes sealed with tacky mint tape ).
I opened the Brits to inspect the coins and I discarded the Libertad tubes that were little more than a small toilet roll inner tube.

With cheap bullion coins it will not make one iota of difference in price when you come to sell and I'm not convinced even a sealed roll of Perth mInt coins all in caps would realise a higher price either - all depends on the day who is prepared to pay extra if any ?

Thanks @Pete I think you're pretty much right. It was the not opening by the seller - Silver To Go - to provide some padding, and rather to let them rattle around in the post across Europe until delivery here in the UK, that got me confuzzled (along with a sale on here that advertised and was bought on the basis of a sealed tube)! But I guess if they got shipped from Oz already to STG they may well already have rattling around, even in a monster box (chucked upside down or whatnot). It just seems a bit strange to me because as a seller I'd always be 100% careful, and I just don't see the extra appeal of no premium basic bullion being sealed!

I'll probably hedge my bets and open one tube, at least I can see one coin for the first time then and might as well go through the rest, and leave the other one intact.

Cheers! :)

Im of the opinion I want to know what I'm buying.  If people are buying tubes its because the price is right.  For all I know someone figured out how to counterfeit the seal and its a pile of crap inside.  Open them up and throw them around they are cheap bullion.  Have some fun and enjoy them :)

On a side note.  Are the plastic tubes you get bullion in from suppliers  or mints suitable for long term storage? 

the flippant answer to your original question is send them to Backyardbullion to melt down ;) but seriously, unopened tubes are mainly of interest with semi-num coins that may be graded by the buyer, they think there's more chance of picking up 70's. The roos are bullion so have a look, make sure they are pucka and store them well to avoid future milking.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Archived